LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

49ers 2013 Compensatory picks

If I got it right we have #'s, 31,34,61,74,93,128,131,157,164,180,227,237,246,and 252.
I was hoping we'd get a 3rd rounder... maybe iam being a bit greedy
Just an FYI for some of those that might not know: Comp picks can't be traded or part of trades.

So we have 1, 2 kc, 2, 3 Car, 3, 4, 4 Comp, 5 Ind, 5, 6 Mia, Boldin, 7, 7, 7 Comp, 7 Comp... Wow, so at least 2 picks in every round except 1 and 6. Should be really fun and interesting.

And really 4, 7, 7 is good for what we lost. Only one worth keeping was Costanzo. Manningham made up for Morgan, Williams was an ok backup but had a solid year for Washington, Snyder we should have given up picks to get rid of... went from one of the worst guards in the league to one of the best. Like I said Costanzo is the only one that hurt.

As for this year depending on who we sign right now I see us as 3rd (Goldson), 4th/5th (Walker), 4th/5th RJF and a 6 for Sopoaga. Now that's before signings. Dorsey, Skuta and Dahl would cancel out the 6 that Sopoaga give us. Maybe one of the 5s as well. I'm thinking we at least get a 3 and 4 without knowing any more signings. That's assuming someone like Gooden or Grant don't go elsewhere. Also, Moss could sign somewhere. Might offset Skuta and Dahl. Still a lot of FA left and we could still end up signing a few more guys.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I will say the Skuta and Dahl signings likely wont count bad against us, even though we signed 3 and lost 4, our 4 we lost out way the 3 we got. Dorsey will have bigger impact. I would say a 3rd for Goldson, 4th or 5th for Jean Francois and Walker, and Sopoaga is marked out by Dorsey.

I believe players have to qualify, I.e. make more than $xxx,xxx.

That's why all the training camp fodder guys don't count. you go to camp with 90 guys
Originally posted by VDSF:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows How did the 49ers get three comp. picks? Last year they lost: Blake Costanzo, Joshua Morgan, Madieu Williams; Added M Manningham. Which ...... makes you wonder how many comp picks they'll be getting a year from now.

Hey Matt don't forget about Snyder.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
wonder if we going to trade up for someone this draft

Rather see them trade down instead of up, acquire more picks next season, still pick a bunch of quality players.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I believe players have to qualify, I.e. make more than $xxx,xxx.

That's why all the training camp fodder guys don't count. you go to camp with 90 guys

The value of the contract has a lot to do with it. 49ers signed a bunch of guys on the cheap but lost others who got paid relatively large amounts. Right now I'd say a 3rd for Goldson, a 4th for RJF and a 4th/5th for Walker.
Think of the damage we could do if we do this right..

2013: 1, 2 kc, 2, 3 Car, 3, 4, 4 Comp, 5 Ind, 5, 6 Mia, Our 6= Boldin, 7 (mays), 7, 7 Comp, 7 Comp...

2014:1, 2, 2/3 (alex), 3, 3 (goldson), 4, 4 (RJF), 4/5 (Walker),5, 6, 7 (colin jones car), 7
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The value of the contract has a lot to do with it. 49ers signed a bunch of guys on the cheap but lost others who got paid relatively large amounts. Right now I'd say a 3rd for Goldson, a 4th for RJF and a 4th/5th for Walker.

You're forgetting Sopoaga. They've also signed three FAs, so right now Walker, Sop, and RJF would be cancelled out, and they'd just get a comp for Goldson. If Cincy signs Ginn and we don't sign any FAs then we'd likely have two comp picks coming back.
When one looks at our picks in rounds 1-4, and compares them to NFL.com prospect ranks, the 49ers are in line to address almost all their major needs with some high quality individuals. While this isn't the best indicator of what will fall to them, the fact that this draft is very deep in the 49ers areas of need it really makes a person excited for what can be accomplished with this draft and the haul of picks we have. Not only could we address needs that free agency doesn't address but we could still acquire more picks for next year by maneuvering via trades. Overall it is hard not to be excited about our potential opportunities.

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

You're forgetting Sopoaga. They've also signed three FAs, so right now Walker, Sop, and RJF would be cancelled out, and they'd just get a comp for Goldson. If Cincy signs Ginn and we don't sign any FAs then we'd likely have two comp picks coming back.

That's not how compensation works. The formula is made up of 3 factors: contract size, playing time and postseason accolades. It has nothing to do with net number of free agent signed.
  • buck
  • Veteran

The formula for determining compensatory picks is not publically known.

But, it is common knowledge that it includes the contract and playing time.

We have to hope that Sopoaga and RJF get a lot of playing time.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM ]
Originally posted by kam_niners1:
I was hoping we'd get a 3rd rounder... maybe iam being a bit greedy

It can always be worse Chargers didn't get a Comp pick for losing Vincent Jackson
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

That's not how compensation works. The formula is made up of 3 factors: contract size, playing time and postseason accolades. It has nothing to do with net number of free agent signed.

Net loss and gain is the first factor considered. You're right that all three of our FAs might not be considered (cut before the season, value to low to enter the equation) but losses and gains cancel out based on closest values. AdamTJ13 was doing really good work figuring out the formula for quite some time; don't know if he still is. He could always get the canceling out correct, but missed sometimes on the round values, iirc.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Net loss and gain is the first factor considered. You're right that all three of our FAs might not be considered (cut before the season, value to low to enter the equation) but losses and gains cancel out based on closest values. AdamTJ13 was doing really good work figuring out the formula for quite some time; don't know if he still is. He could always get the canceling out correct, but missed sometimes on the round values, iirc.
Link?

Just because we signed 3 free agents doesn't mean that 3 of the free agents we lost automatically get cancelled out. The 3 free agents we signed were all for less than what Sopoaga, our lowest paid FA loss signed for. The combined contracts of all our Free Agent signings was still less than what Delaine Walker signed for. Not to mention that RJF and Goldson all made even more than Walker did. No possible way we only end up with one comp pick from all of them.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone