LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 169 users in the forums

Surprise 1st round pick a running back?

The 49ers seem hot on addressing current needs through free agency. With Frank Gore being 30 and having prior injuries, could they be looking for a future franchise Running Back to groom? Has anyone brought this up, or am l just crazy?
My television set would be broken instantly if that happened.
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
My television set would be broken instantly if that happened.

Mine would be damn close too it for sure!
no rb is 1st round material in this draft unless you are really desperate for one
No RB at all we need defense help N youth DE/DT/CB/SS/FS/PASSRUSH NO RB
I disagree that Lacy isn't 1st round worthy. But with the state of our team, I would have to echo the TV breaking sentiment if we pick him.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
no rb is 1st round material in this draft unless you are really desperate for one

I don't follow college so I didn't realize this class was so thin at the RB position. Still, I think for the next couple years we need to keep our eye out. Frank's getting up there age, and for such a important position the time to start looking isn't when you need one NOW.
Would not like this at all. Maybe Lattimore in the 4th.
If they think Lacy is worthy I would have no problem.
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:

I don't follow college so I didn't realize this class was so thin at the RB position. Still, I think for the next couple years we need to keep our eye out. Frank's getting up there age, and for such a important position the time to start looking isn't when you need one NOW.
It isn't exactly thin, but they don't have superstar potential except 1 (Lattimore) and he is recovering from a torn acl.

i won't mind drafting a rb this year just not in the 1st or 2nd

whatever happened to jewel hampton? wasn't he considered an every down type back?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
whatever happened to jewel hampton? wasn't he considered an every down type back?

I am hoping he could be the heir to Gore since he is already on our roster but he might have to battle it out against a rookie if we draft one.

I agree we do not need one and it would be stupid for us to draft a RB in the 1st and even 2nd round. However both Lacy and Giovani Bernard of UNC are 1st round quality backs. Bernard is an absolute beast, can run inside, outside, very shifty, explosive, good receiver out of the backfield and is terrific at returning punts. I think he goes in the 2nd but if he lasts into the 3rd then he's a better pickup vs. Lattimore IMO due to the injury concerns.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
A lot of good running backs have been fished out of the 3rd round or later lately, no need to spend a first or second.
The value of running backs has diminished. Top backs can be found in the latter rounds. Lattimore would be an ideal pick for the Niners. He could red-shirt a year and come back healed and strong. I would not go three, four definitely.
Share 49ersWebzone