There are 189 users in the forums

Deandre Hopkins' ridiculous hands

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
not sure austin fits the mold of players we draft. We go bigger rather than faster most of the time. Especially since AJ is the faster smaller WR. Guys like Austin, Harvin, Jackson, etc., don't make the type of impact in the league that guys like Julio and Wayne do.

Jenkins is actually not that small. Not big but he's got good size at 6-1
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
not sure austin fits the mold of players we draft. We go bigger rather than faster most of the time. Especially since AJ is the faster smaller WR. Guys like Austin, Harvin, Jackson, etc., don't make the type of impact in the league that guys like Julio and Wayne do.

Jenkins is actually not that small. Not big but he's got good size at 6-1

He has height, but a very slight frame. Not quite Desean Jackson, but not exactly in the mold of Crabtree or Arnaz Battle
I think I have a new draft crush. Amazing hands and excellent route running. Also he is strong and uses his strength to create separation and extending YAC. Not a burner but he is shifty and seems to have a great WR IQ on schooling CBs

Wouldnt mind at all taking him with one of our first 2 picks but we do need to add speed and size to our WR corps so I don't know if he fits in because he is similar to crabtree's abilities
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I think I have a new draft crush. Amazing hands and excellent route running. Also he is strong and uses his strength to create separation and extending YAC. Not a burner but he is shifty and seems to have a great WR IQ on schooling CBs

Wouldnt mind at all taking him with one of our first 2 picks but we do need to add speed and size to our WR corps so I don't know if he fits in because he is similar to crabtree's abilities

Very different game than Crabtree's. While Hopkins isn't fast, he excels at going deep with his deep route running and natural instincts in catching deep passes. He has a great sense for where the ball will be and how to adjust (turn, stop, slow down, speed up, etc.) to be able to catch it. His run after the catch is also best in the open field where he must find a crease between two defenders. He's also a much better red-zone option on fade patterns. Crabtree excels with short passes that he is able to turn into long gains, and working the middle of the field. The deep pass isn't Crabtree's favorite. I think they would be a perfect 1-2 punch
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Looks good but he better turn the speed up on the jugs machine if he wants us to draft him :P
Hopkins is an awesome prospect. He should be an early 2nd round pick (maybe late 1st). He won't be much of a deep threat in college. But an enormously productive possession receiver, absolutely.

He's a low risk prospect. Uses his body well, good hands, good routes, very physical.... he doesn't rely on great speed to be effective. I'd be happy with him at 34 or later.
Really like Hopkins, Austin, Allen and Patton but I am kind of letting them go since it seems unlikely we would take a WR in the 1st or 2nd after getting Boldin. He could be with us 1-2 years (maybe 3) but I think getting him means we put off WR until the mid to late rounds. With Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams and Jenkins not sure there is room for a high pick. However, with Manningham and Williams being FA's next year I could see us drafting one high then, depending on if we bring those guys back or not. For now a mid to late round rookie to compete with Lockette for the last spot or practice squad seems more likely.
After running well at the combine and his pro day, I doubt he will last to the second round. He is not a burner, but he recorded better times than what was expected. His speed was basically the only question mark, although he was very proficient at the deep ball in college obviously. Great kid as well. I watched him when a state championship as a PG on his high school basketball team. Had no idea he'd be looking at a first round pick a few years later.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
After running well at the combine and his pro day, I doubt he will last to the second round. He is not a burner, but he recorded better times than what was expected. His speed was basically the only question mark, although he was very proficient at the deep ball in college obviously. Great kid as well. I watched him when a state championship as a PG on his high school basketball team. Had no idea he'd be looking at a first round pick a few years later.

I don't see him as 1st round material. He's facing questions about his ability to separate at the next level. Personally I'm not too concerned, his ability to run crisp, smooth, excellent routes will allow him to get open and his outstanding hands allow him to make catches in traffic and beat out defenders for the football. He's up there with my other WR favorites in Da'Rick Rogers and Quinton Patton.

not gonna lie... all i saw was CK throwing bullets to this guy when watching SS.
[ Edited by 5280High on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:07 PM ]

God those segments are horrible.
hopkins has scat issues---trashed his combine hotel room (or his roomate mark harrison did)
Originally posted by hofer36:
hopkins has scat issues---trashed his combine hotel room (or his roomate mark harrison did)

Did not know that... that could take away a Baalke gold helmet sticker
  • kent
  • Veteran
Selecting a WR with 31 or 34 might speak directly to the 49ers thinking on whether they will be able to or want to resign Crabtree. Taking a guy with similar strengths like Hopkins or Allen might indicate that they are figuring Crabtree to be gone. Selecting a complimentary guy like Hunter or Patterson might indicate they are planning to resign Crabtree.
been watching this guy Hopkins hilites. he's kinda really growing on me. i wouldn't mind if we swooped him up.
Share 49ersWebzone