LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

10 Players I'd Love to See in Red and Gold (March Edition)

Alex Okafor is a tough guy to analyze. He's a hybrid DE-LB and that position has the most bust potential.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Why would we draft an OLB in the 1st? Okafor is a great talent and if he is there at #31, he could be the BPA. But I doubt we'd pick him unless Baalke views him as a significant upgrade over Brooks (who is locked up till 2016 I believe)... even then, it's far fetched.

I'd prefer Datone Jones or Jonathan Banks at that pick. The rest of the draft looks good. I LOVE the Jesse Williams and Da'Rick Rogers picks (though I doubt Rogers is there at 74). Little high for a backup TE, I think. But McDonald is a good choice.

BPA. And you can never have enough pass rushers. As we witnessed firsthand, we're an Aldon Smith injury away from being completely ineffective at applying pressure.

Yeah, I see the BPA argument, but I think Baalke and Harbaugh give a lot of consideration to where high draft picks fit into the teams long term plan. Especially with 1st and 2nd round picks. With both Aldon and Brooks slated to be with the team long term, the chances of a guy like Okafor coming in and becoming a starter (as a 1st round choice should start at some point) would be slim.

I would be fine with having a talented backup OLB to rotate in, but if you find that guy with a 1st round pick, he will make way too much money for a backup after a couple years. And its bad value for the pick. That's why if the BPA is clearly not at a position of need, you trade back.

I wouldn't draft an OLB any sooner than the 3rd round. At least at this point. Maybe in a couple years we start looking for a replacement for Brooks.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM ]
Why would we draft an OLB in the 1st? Okafor is a great talent and if he is there at #31, he could be the BPA. But I doubt we'd pick him unless Baalke views him as a significant upgrade over Brooks (who is locked up till 2016 I believe)... even then, it's far fetched.

I'd prefer Datone Jones or Jonathan Banks at that pick. The rest of the draft looks good. I LOVE the Jesse Williams and Da'Rick Rogers picks (though I doubt Rogers is there at 74). Little high for a backup TE, I think. But McDonald is a good choice.

BPA. And you can never have enough pass rushers. As we witnessed firsthand, we're an Aldon Smith injury away from being completely ineffective at applying pressure.

Yeah, I see the BPA argument, but I think Baalke and Harbaugh give a lot of consideration to where high draft picks fit into the teams long term plan. Especially with 1st and 2nd round picks. With both Aldon and Brooks slated to be with the team long term, the chances of a guy like Okafor coming in and becoming a starter (as a 1st round choice should start at some point) would be slim.

I would be fine with having a talented backup OLB to rotate in, but if you find that guy with a 1st round pick, he will make way too much money for a backup after a couple years. And its bad value for the pick. That's why if the BPA is clearly not at a position of need, you trade back.

I wouldn't draft an OLB any sooner than the 3rd round. At least at this point. Maybe in a couple years we start looking for a replacement for Brooks.

I 100% disagree. The ability to rotate fresh effective pass rushers is so important. Especially the way the league is going. We have two positions qb and MLB that we have the luxury of not picking bpa. Otherwise we could use the young talent everywhere else. The only time I could see us using your strategy is if we have two prospects ranked similarly and then we would pick the more pressing need. It's just not how good orginazations draft and it gets you in trouble.
With this mock, our roster would look like this...

QB: Kaepernick, Matt Scott, Tolzien
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
TE: V. Davis, Vance McDonald, Jordan Reed
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Da'Rick Rogers, Jenkins, Williams
LT: Staley
LG: Iupati, Looney
C: Goodwin, Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: A. Davis, Reid Fragel

DE: J. Smith, Quinton Dial
NT: Jesse Williams, I. Williams
DE: McDonald, Dorsey
OLB: A. Smith, Alex Okafor
ILB: Willis, Skuta
ILB: Bowman, Wilhoite
OLB: Brooks, Fleming
CB: Brown, Asomugha, Blidi Wreh-Wilson
CB: Rogers, Culliver, Cox
FS: Woodson, Dahl, Robinson
SS: Whitner, Spillman

K: Dustin Hopkins
P: Lee
LS: Jennings

Looks damn good on paper!
Rather see it like this!!
TE: V. Davis, Gavin Escobar, Garrett Celek
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Marquis Goodwin, Jenkins, Williams

DE: J. Smith, William Gholston
OLB: A. Smith,
ILB: Bowman, Cornelius Washington
CB: Brown, Asomugha, Honey Badger
FS: Dahl, Robinson, Darius Slay

Some guys I want on our team; Aso, Woodson, Lattimore, Honey Badger, Rambo, Hopkins, Jesse Williams.
Originally posted by fortyniner52:
Rather see it like this!!
TE: V. Davis, Gavin Escobar, Garrett Celek
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Marquis Goodwin, Jenkins, Williams

DE: J. Smith, William Gholston
OLB: A. Smith,
ILB: Bowman, Cornelius Washington
CB: Brown, Asomugha, Honey Badger
FS: Dahl, Robinson, Darius Slay

Not bad at all, but we're dangerously thin at OLB. If Aldon gets nicked up again, we'll be in the same situation we were at the end of this year. I'd rather half our sacks didn't come from one guy.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Quick question, why two TE's? McDonald would be the more prototypical TE and Reed would be the H-back receiver type. I think a good FS prospect would be the bigger need.

I considered going FS, but if we add Woodson to go along with Dahl, I don't see where one fits. I'm OK with Woodson, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman, and Robinson provided we upgrade the pass rush.

McDonald is actually more of an H-back type as well. Rice used him on tight end arounds, as he had 7 carries in his career. Not your average 6'4", 267-pound TE.

I went with two TEs because I think replacing Delanie is priority number one (assuming we add Woodson), and I'm pretty unimpressed with Garrett Celek.

Makes sense, but I would take Baccari Rambo or DJ Swearinger at that point over Jordan Reed. If the Niners haven't signed Woodson by now, they are looking for another FS in the draft.
Garrett is a rook. I think he is legit, given some PT.
Im telling u! This could go down as one of the best DB drafts ever. Baalke is gonna sit back and laugh at the money he saved, after we draft a ROY canidate safety!

Share 49ersWebzone