LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 139 users in the forums

2014 Draft Target: Jerry Rice's Cousin Jordan Matthews

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Jordan Matthews is so underrated in this draft. Good for us though hopefully

Yep. I see a lot of Michael Floyd in Matthews. Floyd's a slightly better athlete, but Matthews has none of the baggage Floyd did.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Clearly you don't follow this forum very much.

lol true lol
Did you watch the Moncreif game vs Alabama?

I've seen the game and re-watched the video link you posted. Definitely a poor overall game by Moncrief...too bad Matthews has never actually played against Bama so we can compare.

I'd be happy with either WR...I'd be happier with both, but that isn't going to happen.
With Bethea signed I can cross out Pryor, Clinton-Dix, and Ward off my wish list. I'll take Verrett, Matthews and worst case Beckham or Fuller as my 4 favorites for 30.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
With Bethea signed I can cross out Pryor, Clinton-Dix, and Ward off my wish list. I'll take Verrett, Matthews and worst case Beckham or Fuller as my 4 favorites for 30.

Agreed. Matthews tops my list of players I want. I would still be happy if they traded up in the first to take him. I just want him in a Niner uniform.
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Agreed. Matthews tops my list of players I want. I would still be happy if they traded up in the first to take him. I just want him in a Niner uniform.

f**k yes!!!
Just watch his postgame interview after their win over Tennessee and you will be impressed with this kid. A team first guy is rare but he speaks with passion and can actually articulate which is rare as well. I want him in a Niner uniform but I do hope he is successful wherever he goes. In the end, reach for him come draft day.
[ Edited by birdie2bogey on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:16 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
A cool new highlight video of Jordan Matthews.

Beyond Matthews' production, the other thing I love about him is his work ethic. It's arguably the best (for a WR) coming out of college. For me, that makes him very NFL-ready, and a guy Kap would love throwing to. We have to think beyond Boldin and possibly Crabtree's time with the Niners. Anquan's arguably in his last 2 yrs of his career and MC we just don't know if he'll be in SF after 2014. I hope he is, but this is the draft Baalke will have to insure his team has the receivers it needs going forward.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
First Draft: Jordan Matthews

• xcfan
  • Veteran
ultimately, matthews is a forgettable player. if he's starting for you, you're mediocre. late 3rd-mid 4th rd

Originally posted by xcfan:
ultimately, matthews is a forgettable player. if he's starting for you, you're mediocre. late 3rd-mid 4th rd

Sorry. I don't see this at all. I think he is likely a productive starter in the league for years. Not a burner, but probably a bigger Crabtree.

I hope you're joking...
If 1,400 yards is forgettable, I'll take forgettable every year!
I understand people wanting Moncreif instead due to potential and his speed that we lack
But to say Matthews is a late 3rd-mid 4th is ridiculous. This guy is a 1st round pick in any of the last 10 year drafts.
This draft is just ridiculously stacked up top, and he's still considered a possible 1st.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
I hope you're joking...
I understand people wanting Moncreif instead due to potential and his speed that we lack
But to say Matthews is a late 3rd-mid 4th is ridiculous. This guy is a 1st round pick in any of the last 10 year drafts.
This draft is just ridiculously stacked up top, and he's still considered a possible 1st.

he's got some nice, random measureables but, on-the-hoof, and by nfl standards, he's not a great athlete and will struggle mightily against nfl cbs. don't expect anything like his college production. as an all-around athlete, he's just a bit better than heyward-bey.
[ Edited by xcfan on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM ]
I hope you're joking...

he's got some nice, random measureables but, on-the-hoof, and by nfl standards, he's not a great athlete and will struggle mightily against nfl cbs. don't expect anything like his college production. as an all-around athlete, he's just a bit better than heyward-bey.

That's funny, because based purely on measurable and athletic ability, he compares to
http://mockdraftable.com/players/2014

Demaryius Thomas
Larry Fitzgerald
Braylon Edwards
Josh Gordon
Riley Cooper

Btw, Heyward-bey is an incredible athlete, one of the best in the NFL, but he's a terrible football player.
Same goes for Lockett, incredible athlete, bad football player
And since you brought up athletic ability
Jerry Rice, average at best athlete, amazing greatest ever football player
Larry Fitzgerald, average athlete, amazing football player
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
That's funny, because based purely on measurable and athletic ability, he compares to
http://mockdraftable.com/players/2014

Demaryius Thomas
Larry Fitzgerald
Braylon Edwards
Josh Gordon
Riley Cooper

Btw, Heyward-bey is an incredible athlete, one of the best in the NFL, but he's a terrible football player.
Same goes for Lockett, incredible athlete, bad football player
And since you brought up athletic ability
Jerry Rice, average at best athlete, amazing greatest ever football player
Larry Fitzgerald, average athlete, amazing football player

i'm not using anyone's player metrics,just my own eyes. matthews is just a decent, possession guy in the nfl. he doesn't gobble up ground like a star. looks like a taller arnez battle to me. no way he goes in the 1st round.

heyward-bey is not an incredible athlete; he's a great, linear sprinter. everything else he does is mediocre.
lockette is an old, chinese woman at the wheel of a ferrari.
you're right about rice. hoards of nfl receivers should feel shame when comparing their film to his.
fitz is a better athlete than you think--he's just not fast-twitch. and, similar to rice, he's got a master at the wheel of his vehicle.
Share 49ersWebzone