LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Tavon Austin in the 1st

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by okdkid:
He'll be taken top 10. The emphasis on spread offenses and penalization of big hits make him more attractive. He will be the "surprise" top 10 pic. Happens every single year.

Doubt it his size hurts his stock mid round in the 1st for sure

I think his size is his advantage on the ability to cut and make defenders miss. You get some big corner or LB sprinting at him for a show hit, he'll sidestep the clown. You can't defend this guy by using size and speed, you need speed and the ability to force his angles on the run. The dude will put on weight anyway in an NFL scheme, it's doing that without losing his speed and agility. He's like Deion Sanders when he moves.

I say we move up and take him. We should be packaging the lower round picks in this draft to move up our 1st, We can also package to move our pick up in the 2nd, we've more than enough picks to get ourselves this guy (if he's on the board) and get ourselves starting quality Safety and NT.
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
kyle williams>>>>>tavon austin #trollers gon troll

I know you're joking, but Kyle Williams looked ridiculously fast to me. He was a 4.3 guy at the combine and he said he got faster over the off season. He looked it. Unfortunately he's hurt and who knows if he ever gets that same explosiveness back.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Austin is the first. HoneyBadger in the second. That would be awesome

there is not a chance in hell we take a WR in the 1st round. We already have 5 making the team plus Lockette/Hall

Lockette or Hall is making the team? Well then why even have training camp. Fact of the matter is we have two players coming off serious knee injuries, a second year guy who hasn't caught an NFL pass, and a couple guys who have done next to nothing on the outside looking in. Aside from Boldin and Crabtree, we have a whole bunch of question marks. Austin is a game changer who not only steps in from day one as the third guy, potentially more, and also takes over a lackluster return game.

I agree which I shy I think we should go for Austin - I don't think there are any deep threats in the draft first round?
Loads of defensive talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds where we have 4 picks and can even move an extra 1 or 2 into those rounds

We need Free safety, Nose tackle, Defensive end, strong safety and cornerback. They could all be picked in the first 100 which would sort out the D so I say go for Austin.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by okdkid:
He'll be taken top 10. The emphasis on spread offenses and penalization of big hits make him more attractive. He will be the "surprise" top 10 pic. Happens every single year.

Doubt it his size hurts his stock mid round in the 1st for sure

I think his size is his advantage on the ability to cut and make defenders miss. You get some big corner or LB sprinting at him for a show hit, he'll sidestep the clown. You can't defend this guy by using size and speed, you need speed and the ability to force his angles on the run. The dude will put on weight anyway in an NFL scheme, it's doing that without losing his speed and agility. He's like Deion Sanders when he moves.

I say we move up and take him. We should be packaging the lower round picks in this draft to move up our 1st, We can also package to move our pick up in the 2nd, we've more than enough picks to get ourselves this guy (if he's on the board) and get ourselves starting quality Safety and NT.

Yup we got plenty of pics to do as we please I will order my Austin jersey from day 1 if drafted as I did with Crabtree who many call him a bust
Originally posted by smithc28:
Loads of defensive talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds where we have 4 picks and can even move an extra 1 or 2 into those rounds

We need Free safety, Nose tackle, Defensive end, strong safety and cornerback. They could all be picked in the first 100 which would sort out the D so I say go for Austin.

This is what I was saying earlier. If we can get Tavon Austin at 31 and not lose pick 34, 63, 74, etc, then I'm all for it because we need those picks to draft future starters on defense.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Better hope he runs over a nun, because there is no chance he will be around at 31.

He probably won't but I bet nobody saw Aaron Rodgers dropping to the packers at 24 in the 2005 draft either.
I can't believe some of you guys wouldn't want this guy. Hes not just fast. His acceleration and agility are off the charts. Austin lined up in the slot with Crabtree, Boldin, Vernon Davis and Gore/James on the field would be an absolute nightmare for defenses.
With Crabtree, Boldin, Vernon, Williams, Jenkins, & Manningham, why would you spend a 1st rd pick on a WR...doesn't make sense. I could see Baalke standing pat and taking Ertz at #34. Another potentially elite pass-catching TE would be of a lot more value, IMHO.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With Crabtree, Boldin, Vernon, Williams, Jenkins, & Manningham, why would you spend a 1st rd pick on a WR...doesn't make sense. I could see Baalke standing pat and taking Ertz at #34. Another potentially elite pass-catching TE would be of a lot more value, IMHO.

Boldin is old, Crabtree will soon be coming off his rookie deal, Jenkins hasn't shown s**t, and Manningham/Williams are coming of ACL injuries.

Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Boldin is old, Crabtree will soon be coming off his rookie deal, Jenkins hasn't shown s**t, and Manningham/Williams are coming of ACL injuries.

OLD? Boldin is 32 and 49ers looking to extend his contract a solid #2 receiver & Crabtree is a BEAST a 49er for life adding Tavon in the Slot with his ability to return punts
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is what I was saying earlier. If we can get Tavon Austin at 31 and not lose pick 34, 63, 74, etc, then I'm all for it because we need those picks to draft future starters on defense.

Yeah i was thinking that too. The problem is i think the 49er front office is going to have to choose i think if the vikings let percy go they were undoubtedly skiming the landscape of the NFL and college football for his replacement (Greg jennings is not his replacement He is good at one thing being an outside big bodied reciever nothing like Percy). As many on here have stated Austin is that guy ( I actually think he could be better than Percy he has better cutting ability anyway). With all that in mind i think the Viking will for sure be targetting Austin with one of there 2 first round picks if no one else has taken him yet. we would have to trade up at least before the Vikes in my opinion. I love Tavon and will not be upset if we do that but I think because of the needs at other D positions the only way we take him is if he's there when we pick at 31 which as i just detailed i believe he wont be.
With our Acquisitions there is NO DOUBT 49ers are making draft day moves I like my chances moving up
  • buck
  • Veteran
Two possible trade partners are New Orleans, #15, and Chicago, #20.

Both teams do not have many picks, and might want to add options.

If we did trade with one of them, there is a good chance that Tavon Austin, Datone Jones, and Kenny Vaccaro will be available.

Interesting options.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Two possible trade partners are New Orleans, #15, and Chicago, #20.

Both teams do not have many picks, and might want to add options.

If we did trade with one of them, there is a good chance that Tavon Austin, Datone Jones, and Kenny Vaccaro will be available.

Interesting options.

Are you trying to give me a headache? Huh? LOL...would be an interesting thing to watch! I'd be glued to the tube on draft day.
Share 49ersWebzone