There are 192 users in the forums

Phoenix 49ers Post-Boldin Mock Draft

Totally psyched about the addition of Boldin, he's the #2 WR the 49ers have lacked and fits perfectly with this offense. The Harvin trade for Seattle knocks them out of the 1st round and I believe that will take away one of the most likely destinations for Datone Jones in the draft. I also think that the 49ers tendering Brock means they won't be going CB early, contrary to what so many here believe. I see them taking one later on in the draft.

Round 1- Datone Jones-DE-UCLA-We all saw this defense go into the fetal position after Justin Smith got injured last year. Jones is not the same guy obviously, but he's also got two key factors working in his favor, athleticism and a high-end motor. With those two building blocks, along with an array of pass-rushing moves, I think he can be developed to be a very good DE for this team. Yes, he's undersized, but for this defense and the type of DE's they use, just barely, and that weight he can easily add in a pro strength training program over the course of a season. He's a guy that could work himself into a regular DE rotation in his rookie season.

Round 2(KC Pick)-Jonathan Cyprien-S-FIU-Terrific ceiling on this player. Similar to Goldson in many ways, very agile, hard hitter, loves to bring the lumber. He's an absolute tackling machine coming out of the secondary. He can and has played either safety position. Very versatile, aggressive guy who simply loves to hit, nice playmaker who always seems to be around the ball. Might be gone by this point, but if available, he would be a hell of an addition to this team and a future starter.

Round 2-Da'Rick Rogers-WR-Tennessee Tech-I know the 49ers have Boldin and Crabtree. But Boldin is a short term solution and Rogers has the same potential to be a very similar player. He has the size, the strength, difficult to jam at the line of scrimmage, uses his body well, a nice red-zone threat also. He will be picked later than his talent indicates due to character concerns but I think if you put him on a veterans roster such as the 49ers and expose him to guys like Boldin and VD, it will help him to grow up, he will be ready to contribute as a rookie and the YAC potential on this team would be nasty. Jenkins is still there to develop as a deep threat. Other guys I like here are Brandon Williams, but I'm assuming he goes to Seattle in the 2nd, as well as Quinton Patton who I think goes to Green Bay.

Round 3(Carolina Pick)-JJ Wilcox-S-Georgia Southern-Yes 2 safeties in the first 4 picks....I know....I know. But the 49ers have to replace Goldson this season and Whitner the next. Wilcox has tremendous talent, is raw, has a ridiculous ceiling, after only playing safety for a year he's developed into a terrific player with outstanding man-to-man coverage skills. Some say he has feet like a cornerback, very smooth, can play either safety position. The duo of Cyprien and Wilcox would give the 49ers versatility and outstanding safety play for years to come.

Round 3-Marcus Lattimore-RB-South Carolina-49ers can afford to take a flyer on a guy who looked like a potential 1st round pick and game-breaking RB in the NFL. Let him sit for a year, recover, and then become the replacement for Gore as the 49ers feature back.

Round 4-Montori Hughes-NT-Tennessee-Martin-Raw player, good athletic skills, had a decent time at the Senior Bowl, he's someone who would require time to develop but the potential is there for him to be a very good NT at the next level. This is the 49ers stockpiling more depth on the DL.

Round 4-Marc Anthony-CB-Cal-Local Cal player, showed tremendous athleticism at the Combine. Would be a good addition for depth and to compete with the Brock for the final CB spot as well as provide a boost to the special teams.

Round 5-Chris Gragg-TE-Arkansas-Had stellar combine, an ideal replacement for Delanie Walker as an h-back, great athleticism, needs to develop as a blocker but he represents good value at this point in the draft.

Round 5-Caleb Sturgis-K-Florida-Arguably the most accurate kicker in this draft. I've seen enough that I don't have any reservations about his leg strength either. Great money kicker, made huge kicks when the pressure was on, very big in the clutch, will give 49ers a replacement for Akers.

Round 6-Mark Harrison-WR-Rutgers-Still like him as an addition to this team, either at WR or to develop as a future H-back. Showed terrific athleticism at the Combine, especially for his size, one of my favorite sleepers in this draft.

Round 7-Chris Jones-DE-Bowling Green-One of my favorite small school prospects, utterly dominated, great guy to have to add to DL depth and develop further, very good pass rusher, good size, would be quite happy to see him selected here.

Round 7-Tanner Hawkinson-OT-Kansas- 49ers need better depth on the OL, especially at tackle. Hawkinson is someone who can be developed to potentially become a starter at right tackle down the road should Anthony Davis not be re-signed.

Round 7-Colby Cameron-QB-Louisiana Tech-Here is your #3 QB. Great leadership ability, smart guy, skilled at reading a defense. Doesn't have the strongest arm, has decent mobility, tries to force passes too often but he's got the raw materials for Harbaugh to work with. His NFL ceiling is probably a solid backup QB, but at this point in the draft, nothing wrong with that at all.

Round 7-Christian Robinson-ILB-Georgia-Backup at Georgia, very solid fundamentally, would be a useful pickup to replace Larry Grant who I ultimately don't see coming back to the 49ers.

49ers Roster

QB's
Colin Kaepernick
Scott Tolzien
Colby Cameron

RB's
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
LaMichael James
Anthony Dixon
Marcus Lattimore-IR

FB
Bruce Miller

WR
Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
AJ Jenkins/Mario Manningham
Da'Rick Rogers
Mario Manningham/AJ Jenkins
Kyle Williams

TE
Vernon Davis
Chris Gragg
Garrett Celek/Mark Harrison

OL
Joe Staley
Mike Iupati
Jonathan Goodwin
Alex Boone
Anthony Davis

Daniel Kilgore
Joe Looney
Tanner Hawkinson

DL
Justin Smith
Ian Williams
Ray McDonald

Datone Jones
Montori Hughes
Chris Jones
Richard Seymour

OLB
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Darius Fleming

ILB
Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Christian Robinson

CB
Tarell Brown
Chris Culliver
Carlos Rogers
Perrish Cox
Tramaine Brock/Marc Anthony

Safety

Jonathan Cyprien
Donte Whitner
Trent Robinson
JJ Wilcox
CJ Spillman

K-Caleb Sturgis
P-Andy Lee
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Totally psyched about the addition of Boldin, he's the #2 WR the 49ers have lacked and fits perfectly with this offense. The Harvin trade for Seattle knocks them out of the 1st round and I believe that will take away one of the most likely destinations for Datone Jones in the draft, so here we go.

Round 1- Datone Jones-DE-UCLA-We all saw this defense go into the fetal position after Justin Smith got injured last year. Jones is not the same guy obviously, but he's also got two key factors working in his favor, athleticism and a high-end motor. With those two building blocks, along with an array of pass-rushing moves, I think he can be developed to be a very good DE for this team. Yes, he's undersized, but for this defense and the type of DE's they use, just barely, and that weight he can easily add in a pro strength training program over the course of a season. He's a guy that could work himself into a regular DE rotation in his rookie season.

Round 2(KC

Did we trade all our picks to move up?
Nice mock! Love the picks.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM ]
We must be saints N Jones must be Ricky Williams lmao
Sorry guys, hit the enter button accidentally.
Since Datone Jones can play in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense, couldn't the Vikings draft him at the Seahawks pick?
1 TE ZACH ERTZ 6'6'' 255 (walker)
2 NT JOHN JENKINS 6'4'' 358 (sopoaga)
2 DE MARGUS HUNT 6'8'' 280 / BENNIE LOGAN 6'3'' 295
3 S BACCARDI RAMBO 6'1'' 215 (GOLDSON)
3 WR/KR MARQUES GOODWIN 5'9'' 180 4.28 40 (Ted Ginn)
4 TRADE FOR 6th round 2013 and 3 rd round 2014
4 QB MATT SCOTT 6'2'' 202 (SMITH)
5 OLB CORNELIUS WASHINGTON 6'4'' 267 (HAGGANS)
5 TRADE 7TH 2013 and 4TH 2014
6 G OMORGIE UZZI 6'3'' 302
6 TE ZACH SUDFELD 6'6'' 261
7 FB/RB ZACH LINE 6'0'' 235 (DIXON) 20 100 yard games
7 ILB VINCE WILLIAMS 6'1'' 247
7 CB/KR BRANDON SMITH 5'10''170
7 TRADE 6 TH 2014
7 TRADE 6TH 2014
Read Hughes more of a 4-3 DT not sold on cyprien I don't want a goldson look alike I want a better cover Guy that wont make dumb penalties rather have Joseph Faurus TE he's a red zone td machine 6tds in 2011 N 11 in 2012
Originally posted by mebemused:
Since Datone Jones can play in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense, couldn't the Vikings draft him at the Seahawks pick?

I think their needs at WR and linebacker supersede any needs on the DL. I see them going with best available WR and best available LB with their 2 1st rounders...or even an addition to their secondary which was plagued with injuries last year.
Originally posted by mebemused:

I think their needs at WR and linebacker supersede any needs on the DL. I see them going with best available WR and best available LB with their 2 1st rounders...or even an addition to their secondary which was plagued with injuries last year.

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Read Hughes more of a 4-3 DT not sold on cyprien I don't want a goldson look alike I want a better cover Guy that wont make dumb penalties rather have Joseph Faurus TE he's a red zone td machine 6tds in 2011 N 11 in 2012

Cyprien is a hard hitter who also does well in coverage. A lot of his particular issues are entirely coachable. I think if anything, he's underrated because of the level of competition he played at.

Hughes definitely can fit in a 3-4 system, he's simply a guy that you need to develop for a few years.

As far as Fauria....no thanks. Can't block, moves like a robot, I think he's going to struggle in the NFL.
2014 DRAFT
3 alex smith could be a 2
7 jones trade

Plus comp. Picks future would look good
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Cyprien is a hard hitter who also does well in coverage. A lot of his particular issues are entirely coachable. I think if anything, he's underrated because of the level of competition he played at.

Hughes definitely can fit in a 3-4 system, he's simply a guy that you need to develop for a few years.

As far as Fauria....no thanks. Can't block, moves like a robot, I think he's going to struggle in the NFL.

I'd rather have Brandon Williams in tha 3rd I so don't want another mid round pick on a RD not 3 yrz in a row
Cut
Manningham 5 million (BOLDIN)
Goodwin 5 million (LOONEY/KILGORE)
Dixon (Z.LINE)
Rodgers 7.5 million(FA)
Originally posted by SSF49er:
2014 DRAFT
3 alex smith could be a 2
7 jones trade

Plus comp. Picks future would look good

Where N how did we get a 2nd number 2 pick 2 extra 3rd round picks N a extra 4th round frm
Share 49ersWebzone