There are 174 users in the forums

2013 Late round sleepers

I fully expect most of the Niners late round picks to be traded; either to move up or for future picks. But at a minimum, they'll like have three compensatory picks, one in the 4th and to in the 7th (from projections). As these picks cannot be traded, they'll like pick at least two players in the 7th. I like to think of these as the best UDFA slots.

Who are some of the best late round sleepers?
Name: Javon Harris
College: Oklahoma
Height: 5-11 Weight: 206
Position: SS Pos2: FS/CB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2013
40 Low: 4.44 40 Time: 4.55 40 High: 4.67
Projected Round:
Rated number 30 out of 147 SS's

Harris played in a big time program and had some really good production his senior year. He had 6 INT, one for a TD.

He seems good against the run, playing through trash, and shows decent ball skills. He tackles a bit high sometimes, and seems to like the big hit. I know this years draft is very deep at safety, but I'd be interested in him as a ST/developmental safety.
He may be losing sleeper status but Ryan Swope will out produce many receivers taken ahead of him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:
Name: Javon Harris
College: Oklahoma
Height: 5-11 Weight: 206
Position: SS Pos2: FS/CB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2013
40 Low: 4.44 40 Time: 4.55 40 High: 4.67
Projected Round:
Rated number 30 out of 147 SS's

Harris played in a big time program and had some really good production his senior year. He had 6 INT, one for a TD.

He seems good against the run, playing through trash, and shows decent ball skills. He tackles a bit high sometimes, and seems to like the big hit. I know this years draft is very deep at safety, but I'd be interested in him as a ST/developmental safety.

It is my understanding that if we copy information, we should provide a link.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89607&draftyear=2013&genpos=SS
[ Edited by buck on Mar 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
David Bass, I hope we end up drafting him. Not sure where he is projected to be drafted, small school pass rushing beast.

What player might you resemble that's in the NFL?
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/1/4042264/2013-nfl-draft-prospects-david-bass-scouting-profile-denver-broncos

Aldon Smith
for sure. Same size pretty much, same height, same measurables.
[ Edited by jimrat on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
Josh Johnson, CB, Purdue - shut down Aaron Dobson when they played Purdue, Mike Mayock said he was the most impressive player on the field during the ND/Purdue game.

He's aggressive, won't back down from anyone. He's not the fastest CB but he's good at locating the ball and batting it down. Has played Special Teams and returned punts his Sr. year so he has added value. Slated to go in the 5th-7th range.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Josh Johnson, CB, Purdue - shut down Aaron Dobson when they played Purdue, Mike Mayock said he was the most impressive player on the field during the ND/Purdue game.

He's aggressive, won't back down from anyone. He's not the fastest CB but he's good at locating the ball and batting it down. Has played Special Teams and returned punts his Sr. year so he has added value. Slated to go in the 5th-7th range.

Sounds like very good late round sleeper
Will Pericak DT Colorado as a 3/4 DE - he has some red flags both medical and off field but is a country strong end that I think would fit the Niners system.

Caleb Schreibeis DE Montana State as a OLB = seems to have the ability to pressure off the edge and Baalke has to draft someone from a small school

Zach Brown K Portland State = he had an up and down year but would be a good kicker to bring in to compete

Darren Thellen FS Massachusetts = best player on a bad team, 4 year starter
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Sounds like very good late round sleeper

I think at the very least he'd supplant Brock at CB and on ST.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Will Pericak DT Colorado as a 3/4 DE - he has some red flags both medical and off field but is a country strong end that I think would fit the Niners system.

Caleb Schreibeis DE Montana State as a OLB = seems to have the ability to pressure off the edge and Baalke has to draft someone from a small school

Zach Brown K Portland State = he had an up and down year but would be a good kicker to bring in to compete

Clearly you didn't read the memo about the TPS reports. Dude isn't playing football anymore, he's on dat dere mechanical engineering time.

Jakar Hamilton, DB - South Carolina St. (5'10, 190) = Former Georgia Bulldog who can play multiple DB positions and returns kicks/punts
Zach Sudfeld, TE - Nevada (6'6', 260) = Great size, excellent blocker and surprising hands/speed for a big man
Nick Williams, DE/DT - Samford (6'4.5", 305) = Size, strength and ability to play the 5-technique
Shane McCardell, DE/OLB - Miss St. (6'4", 245) = Former WR and great athlete with natural pass rush ability; just needs to be developed
Elvis Fisher, OT - Missouri (6'4", 291) = Played well his first few seasons but injuries have slowed him; could be a nice late-round developmental OT
I like the mention of Josh Johnson. Another guy that's projected to go around the sixth round is another big ten corner - Micah Hyde. Just over 6'0", 195 lbs, ran a 4.56 at the combine to go with a 33" vertical. Started every game for his final 3 seasons at Iowa and played in every game during his career (so he's stayed healthy). He was selected all big ten first team by coaches and media for 2012 (second team in 2011). This year he had 78 tackles (at cornerback!), 14 pass breakups, forced 2 fumbles, had 1 interception, and recovered 3 fumbles. The kid can play, and I wouldn't hesitate to jump at the chance to pick him with our final pick in the 6th.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94008&draftyear=2013&genpos=CB
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Clearly you didn't read the memo about the TPS reports. Dude isn't playing football anymore, he's on dat dere mechanical engineering time.

I did miss that!! Well that just makes him a real deep sleeper.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=82288

Commings, Sanders Georgia projected: 5-6 round; 6-0 216 4.41 34 1/2 vert, 09'09"broad jump, 4.30 shuttle, 7.10 3 cone

Though the majority of Commings' 35 career starts came at cornerback, many see his NFL future at safety given his size and physicality.

Transitioning to a new position shouldn't be a problem for Commings. Not only did he see extensive time at safety while with the Bulldogs, he saw time as a traditional centerfielder in baseball, as well, earning the Arizona Diamondbacks' draft selection in the 37th round of the 2008 draft as a prep. Commings considered playing for Georgia's baseball team as late as 2010 but ultimately elected to stick with football. Perhaps not coincidentally, his playing time increased as did his focus on the gridiron.

Commings emerged as a nine game starter in 2010 as the Bulldogs transitioned from a 4-3 to 3-4 scheme. Requiring more size and physicality from their cornerbacks and having two solid starters at safety in Bacarri Rambo and Shawn Williams, Commings quickly emerged as a standout on the perimeter, registering 36 tackles and three interceptions.
This guy - http://nflmocks.com/2013/03/03/john-boyett-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
Share 49ersWebzone