LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 127 users in the forums

Trade up.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
they may trade up within the later rounds but i have a feeling they trade away one of their 2nd rounders for a 1st next year to set up the future. if we can get back into havin 2 firsts every year like we used to were in excellent shape

There is a lot of value to this, but I think they go all in this year to try to win a SB. This draft is such a unique situation with strong value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I think they shoot for the moon this year.
Baalke will come up with something that will amaze us.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Baalke will come up with something that will amaze us.

Al Davis style, kicker in the 1st round...
With the Alex Smith trade, Kansas City won't draft a QB at #1. That will lead to at least one QB dropping down to the end of round #1. Just like we did when we traded into the early 2nd round to grab Kapernick, there should be many teams, including QB-needy teams, that would love to trade up to #34, get the player they want and save first round money on their draft pick.

I hope Baalke considers trading #34, KC's pick, for a first round pick in 2014. There should be strong demand for that pick!

Of course, if 2 or 3 blue chip players that could make an immediate contribution, fall into our 31 and 34 range, than maybe there is more value in keeping both picks and try to win the SB in 2013.
[ Edited by mebemused on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM ]
I just can't see trading up in this draft in the 1st round. The value is in the middle of the draft, especially when players begin to fall for whatever reason. I'd try to acquire one more pick in the top 100 (third round is most likely). That would give us total of 6 guys that could be potential starters. We could get a DE, NT, S, CB, WR, and OT with those picks and there are a lot of good players available at those positions in the top 100. At the back end of the draft, we can pick up a kicker, TE, QB, and talented players that fall because of injury or character concerns. If there still are picks left over, we will probably be trading them away for 2014 draft picks.
What we should do is trade a bunch of our picks for next year's pick one round better, and for multiple picks the next year. Keep doing it and we will have high draft picks every year!
I'd trade up but only in 2nd and 3rd rounds. No way should we give up the house for high first round example:

#31 Zach Ertz - TE
#34 Margus Hunt - DE
Trade 63, and a couple of later round picks for Redskins #51
#51 Phillip Thomas - S
#74 Brandon Williams - DT
Trade #95 and a couple later round picks for Chargers #76
#76 Quinton Patton - WR

Addressed 5 big need areas:
upgraded Walker for a RZ tight end,
Smiths understudy used sparingly like Aldon in first season
Whitner replaced
Sop replaced,
and a good WR.
Pick up a corner in FA, use the comp picks for depth and the rest of the picks to stock up for next years draft.
[ Edited by smithc28 on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:49 AM ]
31 + a 3 to get up a little higher.

34 + a 3 to get into the late first.

We could be looking at around 2 late firsts. Maybe 23 - 27 area. 2 picks in that area. That's what I would do. We don't need 15 picks. Get in that 1st round twice. Deal up some of the later picks (5ths and 6ths to get into the 4th again). We need quality. DL, CB, S, PK, backup QB, big WR. I want good players. I don't think this team needs much depth and filling in the roster with 15 picks. I'd rather have 6 - 7 quality picks than 15 filler ones.
Depending on the medical report, I would love to move up for Star Lotulelei if he breaks out of the top 10 by some miracle. Hell even if he gets to 8, I would give up 31, 34 and another pick. He would anchor that D-line for a long time.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

We could be looking at around 2 late firsts. Maybe 23 - 27 area. 2 picks in that area. That's what I would do. We don't need 15 picks. Get in that 1st round twice. Deal up some of the later picks (5ths and 6ths to get into the 4th again). We need quality. DL, CB, S, PK, backup QB, big WR. I want good players. I don't think this team needs much depth and filling in the roster with 15 picks. I'd rather have 6 - 7 quality picks than 15 filler ones.

I like your thinking here. This draft is short on star power at the top of the draft, but long on depth. Moving up roughly ten slots would be beneficial in a couple of ways:

1) Moving up into the early 20's would get the Niners in front of the hated Seahawks who also need defensive line help. That could net them Datone Jones, who might be on their radar as well.
2) Moving up to #24 would potentially give the Niners a shot at better WR's in Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen vs Robert Woods or Deandre Hopkins.

I'm more inclined to stay at # 31... and # 34... and then move up with # 61 + one of the third rounders to get back inside the top 50.
Depends on who falls. That's the name of the game in the draft. Someone always falls and gets drafted way lower then they should have been. Baalke is a man of patience, and its seemed to work well for him.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I like your thinking here. This draft is short on star power at the top of the draft, but long on depth. Moving up roughly ten slots would be beneficial in a couple of ways:

1) Moving up into the early 20's would get the Niners in front of the hated Seahawks who also need defensive line help. That could net them Datone Jones, who might be on their radar as well.
2) Moving up to #24 would potentially give the Niners a shot at better WR's in Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen vs Robert Woods or Deandre Hopkins.

I would definitely do this. We don't need 15 picks. We will cut 8 or 9 anyway. I'm fine with landing 6 - 7 good players. Roster and practice squad guys. We aren't keeping all these. So take advantage and move up this year aggressively. Fill needs with real talent. Not just depth.
Originally posted by smithc28:
I'd trade up but only in 2nd and 3rd rounds. No way should we give up the house for high first round example:

#31 Zach Ertz - TE
#34 Margus Hunt - DE
Trade 63, and a couple of later round picks for Redskins #51
#51 Phillip Thomas - S
#74 Brandon Williams - DT
Trade #95 and a couple later round picks for Chargers #76
#76 Quinton Patton - WR

Addressed 5 big need areas:
upgraded Walker for a RZ tight end,
Smiths understudy used sparingly like Aldon in first season
Whitner replaced
Sop replaced,
and a good WR.
Pick up a corner in FA, use the comp picks for depth and the rest of the picks to stock up for next years draft.

i'm not going to go into disagreeing with your mock, but no way is Brandon Williams going to be available at #74
Originally posted by SF69ers:
i'm not going to go into disagreeing with your mock, but no way is Brandon Williams going to be available at #74

Yeah i changed it in a proper mock.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/171510-short-sweet-mock-first-picks/

But you never know people reach people miss. Draft day is amazing
Share 49ersWebzone