There are 230 users in the forums

Trade up.

If they can trade up to 15 for a player they never thought would be there sure go for it. other then that it really matter who is on the board. They could trade out of the first for a second round pick this year and another pick next year. I think they need to move some of the pick form this year for a pick next year. trade a 2013 5th rounder for a 2014 4th rounder. stuff like that. draft 10 to 12 players and I hope they can all make the team.
[ Edited by dlance on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by juycho:
I would like us to trade our # 34 to a QB needy team and get a 1st next year.
I would like to trade our # 74 for a 2nd next year
I would like us to trade # 92 for a 3rd next year
That gives us
2 1sts
3 2nds
2 3rds
for next year. We still have a tone of good picks to maneuver all of our needs and the abilty to over draft for the practice squad.

LOL, yeah no. You don't do that when you are competing for a championship and have actual real needs to fulfill this year. All that does is says "well, we hope and think we're good enough". Go and fill your needs this year, load up as much as possible instead of holding off.

You forgot about our other picks. We can still fill those needs and have more great picks for next year.
[ Edited by juycho on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM ]
Forget Trading UP! WHy? We have 31,34,61 and 3 3's. Thats 6 possible players in the top 100, Why trade up in a watered down draft?? i say, scouts work their A$$es off and find us some Gems, 6 Gems in the 1st 3 rounds, 2 DLmen, a studd WR, a CB,Safety and an OLB Pass Rusher extradordinaire
If we want to go WR I'd say trade up into the top 20 with the two 2nd rounders we have and take Tavon Austin to repalce both Williams and Ginn and still have #31 in our pocket.
Or just draft Quinton Patton and not waste any extra picks.

They are going to have to do something with all the picks either trade up trade for players (Harvin or Revis) or trade away for higher 2014 picks.

Patton is not as good as Patterson Bowe Wallace or Jennings 49ers SB window is now. So i don't view trading picks for Patterson or Harvin as a waste at all.

If we want an elite WR to play outside with KingCrab we gonna have to pay to get them one way or the other.

You like to think lower tier players i like to think elite and want our 23rd ranked passing offense to get back to the level of our SB teams with Rice & Taylor.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
If we want to go WR I'd say trade up into the top 20 with the two 2nd rounders we have and take Tavon Austin to repalce both Williams and Ginn and still have #31 in our pocket.

But i wouldn't trade up for a smaller slot guy in Austin.

We need that explosive big RZ deep threat playmaking wideout to spread the D - Cordarrelle Patterson
Originally posted by SkyGod:
They are going to have to do something with all the picks either trade up trade for players (Harvin or Revis) or trade away for higher 2014 picks.

Patton is not as good as Patterson Bowe Wallace or Jennings 49ers SB window is now. So i don't view trading picks for Patterson or Harvin as a waste at all.

If we want an elite WR to play outside with KingCrab we gonna have to pay to get them one way or the other.

You like to think lower tier players i like to think elite and want our 23rd ranked passing offense to get back to the level of our SB teams with Rice & Taylor.

LOL...and you know this how?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
In most any other draft I would agree. But in this draft I think our chances of getting an elite talent is better with quantity in the first two rounds then to trade up to a top 10 player. That's one of the biggest question marks in this draft is what players are top 10 type players.
Maybe Patterson falls...

[Quote]
According to National football post, Cordarrelle struggled a bit at the combine.WR, Tennessee: Patterson displayed today some of the same concerns that we had with him during film study. He was choppy in and out of his breaks, and did not display fluidity on his routes. Throughout his workout, he let the ball get into his body and struggled to catch the ball cleanly. Early in the workout he caught the ball extremely well, but as the workout went on he dropped some passes he should easily have caught. As expected, he ran extremely well (unofficial 4.37 40), but he is far from a polished product, despite being so highly regarded in some circles. **More concerning is that we heard that Patterson has been very unimpressive in interviews, which will likely lead to him sliding down draft boardshttp://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...e-workout.html [/quote]

The article pretty much nailed it. Patterson ran excellent in the 40 but was disappointing in the catching drills. Ist catch drill he showed up at the start position without his gloves on and was scolded by the coach for not being ready then proceeded to drop a catchable ball. Did not look like a natural pass catcher in the gauntlet. Dropped another pass he should have caught in another drill. I thought Robert Woods was by far the most impressive in the catching drills but his 4.51 may translate into separation problems in the NFL. In terms of combining both speed and pass catching nobody really stoud out to me maybe Austin but he is a slot player and does not meet our wideout needs. Patterson needs to hire a pass catching coach and work his tail off before his pro day or he could fall in the draft after his combine and pro day. But get the ball into Patterson's hands and he is a special talent. He's young raw and can mature and improve if he falls to us he may still be worth drafting and coaching up because overall i think this is a crappy draft i agree with Mayock not much difference in talent after the top 5.
LOL...and you know this how?

Patterson is ranked #1 WR and i agree.

You think Patton is better? How do you know?

And you think Patton is better than Bowe & Wallace?
[ Edited by SkyGod on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM ]

Patterson is ranked #1 WR and i agree.

You think Patton is better? How do you know?

And you think Patton is better than Bowe & Wallace?

Once again, how do you know? I'm happier with the 49ers keeping their picks and taking someone like Da'Rick Rogers, Quinton Patton or Justin Hunter rather than blowing a bunch of picks trading up for Patterson who is talented but extremely raw as a WR.

Also, Bowe and Wallace are out of the 49ers price range, so its pointless to even consider. Its not gonna happen. But yeah, its not entirely unreasonable to consider that in a few years he may be a better player than both those guys. Patton has been frequently compared to players like Reggie Wayne. I wouldn't be upset to see the 49ers have a guy like that with star quality opposite Crabtree.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM ]
Once again, how do you know? I'm happier with the 49ers keeping their picks and taking someone like Da'Rick Rogers, Quinton Patton or Justin Hunter rather than blowing a bunch of picks trading up for Patterson who is talented but extremely raw as a WR.

Also, Bowe and Wallace are out of the 49ers price range, so its pointless to even consider. Its not gonna happen. But yeah, its not entirely unreasonable to consider that in a few years he may be a better player than both those guys. Patton has been frequently compared to players like Reggie Wayne. I wouldn't be upset to see the 49ers have a guy like that with star quality opposite Crabtree.

I agree to disagree id trade up for Patterson. When you look at all the top WR's in the NFL the vast majority were 1st round picks. The players you mentioned i would consider later in the draft.

Bowe and Wallace may very well be depending on roster moves too rich for the 49ers.

Maybe the rumors are true 49ers want Harvin because he can ask but won't get elite WR money just yet.

How about Harvin for a 2nd or 3rd if he agrees to Baalke's offer? CK7 to Harvin work for you?
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
actually i would trade back out of the first now that we have an early second, pick up more pics in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Get a sizable amout of players from those rounds, then use those late round pics to aquire more pics for next year if we can.

Regardless of what people are saying we do/will have a considerable amout of holes to fill, and there is potential ith trading back to aquire those needs and still bolster our draft for next year.

This, someone usually wants to back into the first......I'd like to see the more trade down, acquire more picks later on in the draft unless someone like Datone Jones is sitting right there waiting to be picked.

Haha, you love Jones. I've seen your mocks. I like him too. I wanna keep 31 and 34 and maybe move around our 3rds and 4ths. Stock up for next year, but net 3 or 4 contributors this year
Patterson has all the skills to become the total package. That's what you want to see in a 1st round WR. His pass catching and route running need to become smoother and more fluid yes but that is coachable. He has only 1 year at Tenn under his belt. His hands look good in Tenn game films. The kid is said to be a slower learner he may have been very nervous and felt overwhelmed at the combine. I'll give him another chance and see how he does at his pro day. Every player in the draft has areas that need work. These guys are all works in progress their not NFL pro bowlers yet. Maybe this all works out in favor for the 49ers. Patterson drops we get him and possibly bring back Moss to work with him.

A big factor with the WR combine drills is that none of those drills showcase what a WR can do with the ball after he gets it in his hands in game situations.Patterson and Austin are way ahead of the pack in terms of being explosive playmakers after the catch who are hard to bring down. Look at the film Patterson toys with the defense after the catch. But we need a young elite bigger RZ deep threat wideout most badly whether or not Moss is gone and that rules out Austin for me. After Patterson's pro day the 49ers need to invite him in for a workout and evaluate if his route running and pass catching skills can be worked on and improved to the level where he could start outside with Crabtree in 2013 or 2014. If it's a go and he falls grab him for sure. If he really excells at his pro day and at the 49ers workout trade up and get him. Crabtree also needed work at pass catching when he started with the 49ers a lot of WR's do coming out of college no biggie.
I agree to disagree id trade up for Patterson. When you look at all the top WR's in the NFL the vast majority were 1st round picks. The players you mentioned i would consider later in the draft

Really? Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Marques Colston, Antonio Brown, Steve Smith, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Vincent Jackson, Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Miles Austin, Desean Jackson, Mike Wallace all were not 1st rounders. Statistically, in the 1st round, a WR is more likely to be a bust than any other position. Top dominant receivers such as AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson were all gone within the first few picks of the draft. Patterson is not that kind of a player.

How about Harvin for a 2nd or 3rd if he agrees to Baalke's offer? CK7 to Harvin work for you?

No Harvin is too expensive as well, for the kind of money he's looking for and considering how frequently he's been injured, forget that.
Share 49ersWebzone