LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

What is your trade-up comfort zone?

I would really consider looking at pick 24 if a stud player who is on our radar has fallen because of players (qbs) being over drafted. If its a player who we like and feel is worth 1st round grade, and is possibly going to help Seattle get better on defense, then I think we should be ready to jump ahead. A player like Ziggy Ansah, or Patterson (wr) dropping.

I think those two are going to be studs and I believe Ansah is going to be the best defensive player to come out of this draft. We wont know for a few years, but for right now, I do NOT want to see him drop and get drafted by Seattle. We need to have our frog legs on so we can leapfrog them fools if we are high on the player
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
The more I look at this draft, the more I am convinced that the cream of the draft will be in the second and third rounds.

I would tend to trade down from the first, and use our lower picks to trade back up into the second or third.
The only guy i would give up alot for to trade up to get would be if Star Lotulelei falls dramaticly because of the heart condition, and its not an etremely serious concern.

Hes my #1 ranked player in this draft.

other tan that i think we simply have too many wholes to fill.
Im thinking we could trade our 1st and caro to trade for the saints 15. Probably the most I would give and it would have to be for vacarro, rich, floyd, patterson
Maybe move up a few spots like NE did last year. Traded a 4th to move up 6 spots to draft Chandler Jones, moved up 6 spots to get Hightower by giving up a 3rd. Maybe something similar for SF this year, but I still say Baalke stays put at 31 and does the trading later on.
Originally posted by buck:
The more I look at this draft, the more I am convinced that the cream of the draft will be in the second and third rounds.

I would tend to trade down from the first, and use our lower picks to trade back up into the second or third.

+1
Originally posted by mebemused:
Originally posted by buck:

+1

This is where i am currently standing. If we could trade back, and get a second and a third/fourth or whatever is fair compensation, i could probably be all over that. There are alot of guys i like in the mid rounds of this draft.
Baalke has shown an interesting trend in the past few years. He probably overpays a bit for the top pick, but moves all over for subsequent picks.

I think they stand pat at #31, and then I hope they use a lot of their later picks (starting with their 4th rounder) to improve their positions in the 2nd and 3rd. If they can add a 2nd or 3rd from an Alex Smith deal, they will have some serious options on day 2.
According to the draft experts picks 5-25 are in the same ballpark. This thread has been on my mind since the SB ended at the 5 yard line. The safe way to go is trade some picks for next years draft. My thinking is that this is a NOW team, if Baalke and Coach feel that one player can put #6 in the display case, why not go for it. Baalke thinks several years in advance, I can't wait to see what he comes up with on April 25th and 26th.
Trade up for a WR before the Rams have a chance to grab one with there 2nd pick or before the Seahawks pick. I'd be comfortable with that but because of the draft format(how round 2 is a whole day after round 1) I believe it would be ideal to trade out of the 1rst into the 2nd round so we can reorganize the draft board and develop a more adapted draft strategy because after analyzing round 1, it would be much easier to gauge which direction teams go after that. Plus the 2nd and 3rd round will definitely have quality players will fall this draft because there are a lot of juniors who came out.

I'd just try to get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I could see us trading down from 31 only if there is no value at DE, NT, or DB. WR or TE may be a surprise pick, but we do have some options if the good 3-4 defensive ends are gone.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd just try to get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I could see us trading down from 31 only if there is no value at DE, NT, or DB. WR or TE may be a surprise pick, but we do have some options if the good 3-4 defensive ends are gone.

Agreed
We probably won't trade up in the first. If we do, it will only be a few spots to grab someone we really like. I think more likely, we move up in the 2nd.

I'd like to see us use our extra 3rd round pick from Carolina to move up in the 2nd. The best value in this draft will probably be in the late 1st / early 2nd round. I'd like to see us get 2 picks in that range.

Should be doable.
It's possible Harbaalke might feel strong enough about a certain player to trade up in 1st rd...and if so, go for it. Depending on the pick he gets for Alex, he could end up with another 2nd rd pick...or maybe another 3rd rounder that could be used to trade up in 2nd rd...with potentially 15 picks going in, not trading up some to get some of the best DL, OLB, secondary, WR and TE seems unlikely. I'd like to see Baalke come out of the draft with 2 of the top DL's, top CB, top S, top WR and TE. That's a tall order, but he's got the picks to make it happen. So, again, I definitely see him doing some trading up to get it done.
Share 49ersWebzone