LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

What is your trade-up comfort zone?

So, the niners will have ~14 picks in this years draft. And despite what Harbs might say, they don't have room on the 53 man roster for nearly that many. Their 2012 rookies barely played, and its unlikely they'll be cut for more rookies. I would guess that at MOST, they might find roster spots for 7 guys. And that would likely include a Kicker or a 3rd QB.

So, with that being said - what is your comfort zone in moving up in the draft? How many picks, of what value, would you sacrifice to move up and get a more blue-chip prospect in the first round?

The old draft-value chart would tell you that trading away their 1st, 2nd, and 2 3rd picks could give them to pick # 10 or 11 - a range where you might find Bjoern Werner, Dee Milliner, or Sheldon Richardson. If you wanted to keep the 2nd rounder, you could get near #16/17 - A potential landing spot for Cordarelle Patterson or Jonathan Cooper.

Who is hoping for a many-for-one swap? Who's hoping they try to flip picks for better ones next season? Who just wants a flood of rookies to argue about?
[ Edited by DarkKnight1680 on Feb 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM ]
I just don't see any one of the players at 10-15 as worthy of giving up that many picks for in this year's class. To give up 4 top 100 players for one on a team who has quality starters at most positions it doesn't make a lot of sense. They could use the picks to add immediate depth for players who should develop in to starters. To think all 4 would be starters is not likely, but at least 2 should be, anything after that is gravy.

I'd like to see maybe a 2 for 1 to move up in the 2nd or trade away this years 2 for a 1 next year. I'm not crazy about the prospects in this draft.
the draft isnt top heavy enough to give up that much, i wouldnt mind moving up in the second or third round for someone we want
I'm open to trading up if a particular player fell below their expected range. If for example, Jarvis Jones is still on the board at 20 due to medical concerns, and our staff feels like those concerns are not serious enough, I would be willing to trade quite a bit for that. But I don't think the team is looking to trade now, given that the strength of this draft is in the middle rounds. Also, I think we have quite a bit of room on our roster for new players:

1. Safety - If Goldson leaves
2. NT - If Sopoaga leaves
3. CB - Cox can be upgraded quickly
4. Safety - The depth behind the starters isn't great even if we keep Goldson or get another starting FS. Spillman is likely to keep a spot. Behind him is up for grab.
5. RB - If a good enough RB creates value, Dixon could be competing for his job
6. WR - Moss, Manningham and Ginn could all be off the team. We would have 3 WR openings.
7. WR - see above
8. WR - see above
9. TE - If DW leaves we have the #2 spot open
10. TE - The 3rd TE spot can easily be upgraded
11. OL - We can use up to 3 new OL. A C behind Goodwin, someone to replace Leonard Davis and a backup T (we don't have one!)
12. OL - see above
13. OL - see above
14. K - this is definitely an opening
15. QB - a #2 or #3 QB
16. DE - Even if RJF resigns we can still use another DE to rotate in with JS and McDonald. If RJF leaves this could be 2 openings.
17. DE - see above

As you see, we can have up to 17 new players the way I see it. Now this won't all acutalize, and we'll resign some of the guys listed (although likely not all) and we will fill some of the needs through FA, but its not completely out of the realm of possibility that as many as 10 or 11 of these rookies make the team--especially if they play a position of need, depth wise, and ST (i.e. another safety like CJ Spillman).
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I'm open to trading up if a particular player fell below their expected range. If for example, Jarvis Jones is still on the board at 20 due to medical concerns, and our staff feels like those concerns are not serious enough, I would be willing to trade quite a bit for that. But I don't think the team is looking to trade now, given that the strength of this draft is in the middle rounds. Also, I think we have quite a bit of room on our roster for new players:

4. Safety - The depth behind the starters isn't great even if we keep Goldson or get another starting FS. Spillman is likely to keep a spot. Behind him is up for grab.
6. WR - Moss, Manningham and Ginn could all be off the team. We would have 3 WR openings.
7. WR - see above
8. WR - see above
11. OL - We can use up to 3 new OL. A C behind Goodwin, someone to replace Leonard Davis and a backup T (we don't have one!)
12. OL - see above
13. OL - see above
15. QB - a #2 or #3 QB
16. DE - Even if RJF resigns we can still use another DE to rotate in with JS and McDonald. If RJF leaves this could be 2 openings.
17. DE - see above

As you see, we can have up to 17 new players the way I see it. Now this won't all acutalize, and we'll resign some of the guys listed (although likely not all) and we will fill some of the needs through FA, but its not completely out of the realm of possibility that as many as 10 or 11 of these rookies make the team--especially if they play a position of need, depth wise, and ST (i.e. another safety like CJ Spillman).

I think you are off on only one area of need and that is the offensive line. The Niners have Kilgore and Looney in reserve already for 1-2 of those spots. The swing OT is the most pronounced need on the offensive line and a good center like Schwenke from Cal would be nice, but not necessary.
First over all pick. lol wait we have to trade alex our first day's picks and next season to even sniff that idea. So Maybe a few spots if a player we like starts to slide baalke likes to jump up and get the guy he likes so at some point i do expect him to trade up in the draft so he gets that guy will see when and who it is though.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

7. WR - see above
8. WR - see above
12. OL - see above
13. OL - see above
15. QB - a #2 or #3 QB
17. DE - see above

I think you are off on only one area of need and that is the offensive line. The Niners have Kilgore and Looney in reserve already for 1-2 of those spots. The swing OT is the most pronounced need on the offensive line and a good center like Schwenke from Cal would be nice, but not necessary.

The OL pick, in my opinion are not early picks, but outside of Looney and Kilgore we really don't have any backup linemen that I expect to be on the roster next year. An OL needs to normally be 9 or 10 deep. 8 is a minimum. Right now I'm looking at 5 starters at 2 backups. I think an addition of 2 is a fair assumption.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

7. WR - see above
8. WR - see above
12. OL - see above
13. OL - see above
15. QB - a #2 or #3 QB
17. DE - see above

The OL pick, in my opinion are not early picks, but outside of Looney and Kilgore we really don't have any backup linemen that I expect to be on the roster next year. An OL needs to normally be 9 or 10 deep. 8 is a minimum. Right now I'm looking at 5 starters at 2 backups. I think an addition of 2 is a fair assumption.

I hope we look at centers too. Cause lets be honest goodwin is overpaid and the weak link on the oline. Woudln't mind a look for a replacement to sit and learn and replace with. Centers a very mental spot so like a guy to learn would be a nice.
Draft Delineman, Pass Rushers & CB & Safety Prospects along with a WR & QB developmental project
1st round: DL
2nd round: CB
3rd round: WR, DL, SS (assuming we either get a 3rd round compensation pick, or get the Chief's 3rd rounder)
4th round: TE
5th round: K, OL

If we dont plan to sign Goldson we should get a Safety in the 1st & I suggest trade up for Kenny Vaccaro
Would trade 5th to 7th round picks to move up for 2nd and 3rd round picks--4th too. So trading multiple picks for a round higher, several times. The draft seems pretty strong, or perhaps even, through the first three rounds and we already have four picks...why not go for another two and take six guys who have a chance to make a difference.
ahead of Seattle.

/end thread
^especially since they have the same needs (wr, dl) as us
If we trade up in the first, I'd like to get Sheldon Richardson. There's also news that Seattle's intrigued by Datone Jones, which is bad news for us. Many of us here want Jones with the 31st pick and I'd hate to see the Seahawks get him.
Share 49ersWebzone