There are 249 users in the forums

Looney

Not sure if I should put it here in Draft ot oher forum. It talks about late benefit from 2012 draft. Good article.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Looney-May-Pay-Delayed-Dividends-for-Niners-192057701.html
From what I've read, it looks like they are grooming him to take over center when Goodwin leaves.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Would be great if he pans out
I think he will take over for center next year after Goodwin's contract is up. Looking more and more like Kilgore is the backup G (Netter might start competing with him) and Looney will be C. Don't know much about him... funny how the article list him at 6'3" 318 which is exactly Goodwin's height/weight according to Wiki. Both have a similar body frame. A bit thicker, not the strongest guys out there. Hopefully Looney can get into better shape... he looked a little soft but that could be because of the injury. Like I said though Goodwin is a bit soft as well... pudgy

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Personally, I think that Kilgore is the one who is being primed to play the center position in the future..

The more i look at our OL, the more I think that Staley will be moving to C if Loomey needs to play..

I have a feeling that Loomey will take over the RG position and Boone will end up at the LT position..
Originally posted by 9moon:
Personally, I think that Kilgore is the one who is being primed to play the center position in the future..

The more i look at our OL, the more I think that Staley will be moving to C if Loomey needs to play..

I have a feeling that Loomey will take over the RG position and Boone will end up at the LT position..

what?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

what?

Yeah.

And it's Looney.

Had to do a double take when I saw that. Yeah sorry, Staley ain't moving to center, ever, and that's for damn certain. I still feel that Kilgore is being groomed to play center and will be the starter there, sooner rather than later. Looney was acquired for depth, but also for the possibility that A. The 49ers can't re-sign Mike Iupati and Looney would take over his spot or B. The 49ers can't re-sign Anthony Davis and as a result, Boone moves to right tackle, his natural position and Looney takes Boone's former spot at guard.
Ok - Staley to center is pretty funny.

But, JUST from a physical gifts standpoint our oline does seem like it would go - PHYSICALLY

LT - ADavis looks like a LT to me - it's his mental lapses 1-2 times a game that you can't have at LT
LG - Iupati looks like a RG to me - RG is more often a pulling G. I could see Looney at LG.
C - Kilgore seems the natural here - IMHO Goodwin was our weak link in terms of being pushed around and missing blocks last year
RG - Iupati
RT - Boone or Staley - but Boone seems to play more physical and seems determined to avoid lapses. I didn't see a single blown assignment by him last year.

It's crazy, but that leaves your probowl LT Staley out. That is why I wouldn't be shocked to see Staley traded one day because having his replacement on the roster means you could get some great trade value for him from a needy team. Not saying it will happen, just saying I wouldn't be shocked.
I personally think with Kilgore, Looney and Al Netter, the Niners should focus on drafting a back up swing tackle in rounds 3,4 or 5. Then the team would have some serious depth.

Al Netter will make the 53 man roster this year.

Originally posted by 9erred:
I personally think with Kilgore, Looney and Al Netter, the Niners should focus on drafting a back up swing tackle in rounds 3,4 or 5. Then the team would have some serious depth.

Al Netter will make the 53 man roster this year.

Brian Winters from Kent State, would be your guy.

So you want to take a top-5 LT (who is appropriately paid like one) and move him to C?

Come on, maaaaan.
The dude is a beast, pure & simple. You don't have as many pancake blocks as he did at WF if you're not a bad-ass. Both Baalke and Harbaugh were also very impressed at how intelligent he is, a very good omen for taking over at C. Mike Mayock said he thought Looney was a steal where we got him in the draft.

What?! Is this a joke?

As I said to another poster in another thread ....

Brah - step away from the bong for a bit .....

Looney said that he has been practicing at ALL the interior line positions, but concentrating on center. Yes, he can play either guard position, so can Kilgore. I'm not sure about Netter being anything other than emergency backup utility lineman.
Share 49ersWebzone