There are 201 users in the forums

Revisiting last year's WR prospects and what it can tell us...

Just posted this in a thread regarding Jenkins, and I thought it was interesting. Here are a bunch of WR prospects this forum discussed for us at various points in the 2012 Draft.

Hilton was far and away the most productive of the bunch, despite being by far the smallest. Granted his success had a lot to do with Indy's scheme, depth chart, etc., but I think this should be taken as a reminder that we all get way too caught up in measurables.

For example, people were drooling over Streeter because he's tall and fast, but he fell all the way to Round 6 and couldn't even dress for a game in his first year.

Stephen Hill, 21 rec for 252 yds and 3 TDs

Rueben Randle, 19 rec for 298 yds and 3 TDs

Brian Quick, 11 rec for 156 yds and 2 TDs

Tommy Streeter, inactive all year for Baltimore

Marvin Jones, 18 rec for 201 yds and 1 TD

Marvin McNutt, played in 4 games, 0 catches

T.Y. Hilton, 50 rec for 861 yds and 7 TDs

Greg Childs, inactive all year for Minnesota

Nick Toon, inactive all year for New Orleans
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM ]
You forgot:

- Kendall Wright from Tenn: 64 catches, 626 receiving yards and 4 TDs
- Denarius Moore from Oakland: 51 catches, 741 receiving yards, 14.5 YPC and 7 TDs
- Josh Gordon from Cleveland: 50 catches, 805 receiving yards, 16.1 YPC and 5 TDs
- Chris Givens from St. Louis: 42 catches, almost 700 receiving yards, 16.6 YPC and 3 TDs
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM ]
I wanted Stephen Hill.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I wanted Stephen Hill.

Hill posted pretty similar numbers to Randy Moss this year....for what it's worth.
I wanted Ruben Randle.

He would have really been nice to have when Manningham went down. Almost any of these guys would have been better to have than AJ.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You forgot:

- Denarius Moore from Oakland: 51 catches, 741 receiving yards, 14.5 YPC and 7 TDs
- Josh Gordon from Cleveland: 50 catches, 805 receiving yards, 16.1 YPC and 5 TDs
- Chris Givens from St. Louis: 42 catches, almost 700 receiving yards, 16.6 YPC and 3 TDs

I don't think Moore was a rookie.
Just for completeness:

Justin Blackmon (Jacksonville): 64 catches, 865 yards, 5 TD

Michael Floyd (Arizona): 45 catches, 562 yards, 2 TD

Are we still missing anybody significant from that draft class?
[ Edited by blm7754 on Feb 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You forgot:

I don't think Moore was a rookie.

definitely was not
And the conclusions of the matter are what?
I really wanted Stephen Hill

Originally posted by Ninefan56:

not much, its only year 1 and most of the players played as expected. If you judged WRs off their rookie year, you would have written off the Denver WR from G-Tech, forget his name at the moment.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Feb 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM ]
Conclusions - VERY hard to say since they played in so many schemes and I don't know how good their primary receivers were. Were the rookies the 2nd or 3rd receivers on their depth charts should also be a factor.

Wasn't Sanu a rookie last year and I recall many people in the Zone wanted him. How did he finish?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

I would say the conclusions are that there were guys picked after AJ Jenkins that many of us wanted (Hill, Randle, Givens) that were more productive. However, none of them were outstanding. They were role players at best.

That being said, they are all rookies. They will likely improve and become bigger factors and AJ is no exception.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Conclusions - VERY hard to say since they played in so many schemes and I don't know how good their primary receivers were. Were the rookies the 2nd or 3rd receivers on their depth charts should also be a factor.

Wasn't Sanu a rookie last year and I recall many people in the Zone wanted him. How did he finish?

Sanu: 16 catches, 154 yards, 4 TDs

On par with most of the other rookies.
You forgot:

- Kendall Wright went at #20, 10 spots ahead of Jenkins.
- Denarius Moore was picked in 2011, a year earlier.
- Josh Gordon wasn't available in the regular draft, but went in the supplemental draft.
- Good call on Chris Givens. He's another example of talent and instincts trumping measurables, as he significantly outperformed his higher-drafted rookie teammate, Brian Quick.

Thank you for compiling the list.
Share 49ersWebzone