LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 410 users in the forums

Shamarko Thomas-S-Syracuse

The ultimate special teams player that could also be developed as a safety.

Supposedly he possesses 4.3 speed, flies around the field like a rocket, undersized but loves to hit and hard. He's a total kamikaze, will hit anything that moves, he reminds me of Roman Harper in that regard, he relishes contact, he plays like he can't live without food, oxygen or knocking someone on their ass. The 49ers special teams were really lacking this year after they let Blake Costanzo go and traded Colin Jones, so hopefully their struggles were a wakeup call. He should be available in Round 6.

I see him as a special teams assassin that could make a good living in the NFL just blowing up kick and punt returns on a regular basis. If his 4.3 speed is legit, he'll move up somewhat in the draft but he'd make for a heck of a weapon in terms of special teams and also backing up SS.
Definitely a guy I'd want to target in the 6th. Seems like a guy who definitely has some starter potential and will go lower than he should based on his height.
Yes please
Watch this guy in the 40, he's going to light it up.
Tuesday seems kinda long way lol
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Giving people time to get their popcorn and s**t ready
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Giving people time to get their popcorn and s**t ready

Saw some tape on this kid his tackling is not good imo whiffs alot.

Which is one of the reasons he's way down the draft boards, but as far as special teams go, his freakish level of athleticism and headhunting nature are a wonderful combination. As far as tackling goes, he's not as bad as you claim, he led his team in tackles and played the role of intimidator, but tried to go for the big hit a little too often instead of just wrapping up and taking the offensive player down. He's also a team leader and a very good character guy, if he goes wild at the Combine like I expect, he could move up as far as the mid 4th round even.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Which is one of the reasons he's way down the draft boards, but as far as special teams go, his freakish level of athleticism and headhunting nature are a wonderful combination. As far as tackling goes, he's not as bad as you claim, he led his team in tackles and played the role of intimidator, but tried to go for the big hit a little too often instead of just wrapping up and taking the offensive player down. He's also a team leader and a very good character guy, if he goes wild at the Combine like I expect, he could move up as far as the mid 4th round even.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM ]
This is one of those guys that seems to just rise up, no matters whats thrown at him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/09/07/syracuse-shamarko-thomas/index.html

Then tragedy struck. Less than two months before the season, he heard the life-altering news: The man who pushed him to gridiron greatness was gone. Thomas' father, Abdul Shabazz, died in a motorcycle accident in North Carolina.

Shabazz was gone. And things were about to get even worse. Thomas' mother, Ebeth Shabazz, passed away just nine months later.

In high school, after his father walked out, Thomas watched his mother fight to keep the family afloat. In addition to raising six kids, she attended dental school and worked at McDonald's. Thomas called her his best friend and his source of inspiration.

"One day, she just told me, 'Shamarko, you wanna be great, you gotta work harder than everybody. You gotta be better than all the competition,'" Thomas said. "Her favorite quote was 'work hard until your hands and your feet fall off.'"

With the loss of his parents, Thomas was forced to shoulder one of life's greatest responsibilities. With five younger siblings (four brothers, one sister) ages 8 to 17, he had to become a de facto parent overnight.

Thomas headed to Virginia just hours after learning of his mother's death. He stayed with his family for nearly three weeks before returning to Syracuse for the final week of classes. His advisor helped him cram before finals. But Thomas' main concern was still his family in Virginia.

"How am I going to take care of my family when I'm only 20?" Thomas asked. "I gotta be the support. All that pressure is put on me."

The neighborhood fight wound up being a wake-up call. Thomas began to commit himself, arriving to practice early and staying late to take extra reps. Struggling as a student during his first two years at Ocean Lakes, Thomas went on to make honor roll as a junior and senior.

He matured. Following his parents' deaths, he was able to step up as the anchor of his family.

Thomas speaks with his siblings every evening, taking the time out even after a tough practice or a frustrating loss. He knows he must continue to persevere; he's all his family has.

That resilience extends to the football field -- another area where he uses his family as motivation.

The show has just kicked off....28 reps on the bench press at 213 pounds.
The man looks like an absolute baller. Rooting for him. I just wish he was taller.
Reminds me of Bob Sanders and Donte Whitner. Shorter guy with speed who lays the wood. Hopefully he can cover better than Whitner. lol.
Dude ran a 4.38 but fell flat on his face at the end.. Feel kinda bad lolz
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Reminds me of Bob Sanders and Donte Whitner. Shorter guy with speed who lays the wood. Hopefully he can cover better than Whitner. lol.

Initially I look at him as the "new and improved" Colin Jones, total special teams headhunter, afterwards developing further as a safety.
Share 49ersWebzone