LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

MadDog's Pre-Combine Big 175 Board

Originally posted by Butter:
I'm actually totally down with that idea. I can absolutely see a team trying to jump into the 31st pick to get "their guy", much like the Bucs did for Doug Martin last year:

Bucs Traded 2012 second round pick (#36-Derek Wolfe), 2012 fourth round pick (#101-Omar Bolden) to Broncos for 2012 first round pick (#31-Doug Martin), 2012 fourth round pick (#126-Jared Crick) on 2012-04-26

But it seems like all they really gained was a higher 4th round pick. Maybe a better way to go would be to pick up a 2014 pick?

It all depends on how far they trade down, the 49ers traded up 9 spots in the 2nd to take Kaepernick and had to give up their 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
All the more reason I'm in favor of trading down if the right player isn't there in the late 1st, someone usually will be looking to trade up for a QB or whatever, and if the 49ers can trade down a bit, acquire more picks and the result is that they gain another 3rd rounder, I'm down.

I really think this would be the best course of action. I don't think any of the 1st 5-7 picks will pick a QB even though they need one. Lotulolei, Milliner, Joeckel, Warmack, Milliner, Moore,Werner, Jordan, Mingo(individually) are better than any QB in this class. All the teams that needa QB in the 1st will wait till the 2nd because the same of level of talent will be there. Whoever trades for our 31st will get their guy and we get a 3rd rounder or a 2nd or 1st in 2014. Picking at 31st were getting early 2nd round talent anyway so might as well take advantage of the situation.
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM ]
Hey MD~ Thanks for all of the hard work as always. Just wanted to put you in the GM chair for a moment. Given that the Niners have roughly 15 picks in this year's draft and are likely to add 10 rookies at the absolute most, are there players in the 15-25 range in the first round that you feel are worth trading up for that could make a big impact for the Niners in his first year?

It is my humble belief that the team needs to draft at least 2 DLmen (and perhaps a third), at least one CB, one safety and a red zone threat. Now that Goldson appears to be out of town, what are your thoughts on what the team should do going forward? I know you would have drafted JJ Watt the year the Niners took Aldon Smith and you turned out to be 100% correct. Any diamonds in the rough this year (in that 15-25 range) that the Niners could /should trade up for?
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Hey MD~ Thanks for all of the hard work as always. Just wanted to put you in the GM chair for a moment. Given that the Niners have roughly 15 picks in this year's draft and are likely to add 10 rookies at the absolute most, are there players in the 15-25 range in the first round that you feel are worth trading up for that could make a big impact for the Niners in his first year?

It is my humble belief that the team needs to draft at least 2 DLmen (and perhaps a third), at least one CB, one safety and a red zone threat. Now that Goldson appears to be out of town, what are your thoughts on what the team should do going forward? I know you would have drafted JJ Watt the year the Niners took Aldon Smith and you turned out to be 100% correct. Any diamonds in the rough this year (in that 15-25 range) that the Niners could /should trade up for?
The draft board always throws a few surprises our way, and there may be a few players that slip into the 15-25 range due to other teams' needs. It is something to monitor, for sure.

I have a feeling the team is going to see the departure of both Sopoaga and Goldson, so they have to shore up those two areas right away. They might package one of their high picks (31 or 34) with a third rounder to move up a few slots to get a guy they are surprised to see on the board. However, in the end, I think they burn their five top 95 picks on: Free Safety, Nose Tackle, Cornerback, Tight End, and Defensive End. For a team that was on the verge of winning the Super Bowl, it may have a number of key holes to plug. Such is the nature of the turnover of players and talent in the NFL.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team target SS in the fourth round. Got a feeling Whitner is in his last year in 2013. The team also needs help at center, and wide receiver. And, at some point, this team has to be serious about a replacement for Gore, who I think is done after 2013.

Of course, some of these needs will be addressed in free agency. It is probably wise for the team to look at an experienced number two receiver, who can make an instant impact, to take some pressure of Crabtree and V. Davis. I am not sure Manningham will be ready to go for the start of 2013, and the jury is still out on whether AJ is going to be a contributor in 2013.

As for diamonds in the rough in that 15-25 slot: If Kenny Vaccaro is in that early 20's area, they have to start a dialogue with teams. Cover safeties are pretty rare in this league. At the same time, if Tavon Austin is around in the mid-20s, they have to take a serious look at what he can bring to the team. Austin opens up an already explosive offense.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The draft board always throws a few surprises our way, and there may be a few players that slip into the 15-25 range due to other teams' needs. It is something to monitor, for sure.

I have a feeling the team is going to see the departure of both Sopoaga and Goldson, so they have to shore up those two areas right away. They might package one of their high picks (31 or 34) with a third rounder to move up a few slots to get a guy they are surprised to see on the board. However, in the end, I think they burn their five top 95 picks on: Free Safety, Nose Tackle, Cornerback, Tight End, and Defensive End. For a team that was on the verge of winning the Super Bowl, it may have a number of key holes to plug. Such is the nature of the turnover of players and talent in the NFL.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team target SS in the fourth round. Got a feeling Whitner is in his last year in 2013. The team also needs help at center, and wide receiver. And, at some point, this team has to be serious about a replacement for Gore, who I think is done after 2013.

Of course, some of these needs will be addressed in free agency. It is probably wise for the team to look at an experienced number two receiver, who can make an instant impact, to take some pressure of Crabtree and V. Davis. I am not sure Manningham will be ready to go for the start of 2013, and the jury is still out on whether AJ is going to be a contributor in 2013.

As for diamonds in the rough in that 15-25 slot: If Kenny Vaccaro is in that early 20's area, they have to start a dialogue with teams. Cover safeties are pretty rare in this league. At the same time, if Tavon Austin is around in the mid-20s, they have to take a serious look at what he can bring to the team. Austin opens up an already explosive offense.
Thanks MD... Always great to have your input. Keep it coming!
MD--

1. When do you think you'll have your first post-combine board up?

2. It sounds like you think Vaccaro and Austin are both unique and special players that would be a good fit on the 49ers. Given that you think our top five picks will be spent on FS, NT, CB, TE, and DE, I'm wondering if there are any prospects at those latter four positions you also think would be trading up to #20 for. Or do you think we should just "let the draft come to us" except when it comes to Vaccaro and Austin?
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
MD--

1. When do you think you'll have your first post-combine board up?

2. It sounds like you think Vaccaro and Austin are both unique and special players that would be a good fit on the 49ers. Given that you think our top five picks will be spent on FS, NT, CB, TE, and DE, I'm wondering if there are any prospects at those latter four positions you also think would be trading up to #20 for. Or do you think we should just "let the draft come to us" except when it comes to Vaccaro and Austin?

Up later today. Big 200 Board. The game is all about creating matchup problems. Austin's speed will create space for the running game, more open spots for receivers to catch the ball, etc. I feel very similarly about Marquise Goodwin, who corners at the Senior Bowl played insanely far off the line of scrimmage, due to his speed.

Vaccaro is a hybrid safety/corner, something in the mold of Seattle's Earl Thomas. These guys are rare birds. I also like Jonathan Cyrprien for the same reason as a SS. He can cover. So, if the Niners wait for the draft to happen to them, the team might end up with Cyprien and Goodwin, and still keep the entire allotment of picks.

It is hinges on who is on the board at the time.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Looking forward to your post combine board. With all these picks and the depth in this draft your board is must read.
Originally posted by GORO:
Looking forward to your post combine board. With all these picks and the depth in this draft your board is must read.

Thanks. A lot of good middle round talent this year, so if the team plays its hand well, it could pick up valuable pieces.
Maddog, every predraft time i value 2 sources for player ranking and évaluation:you and the huddlereport. THR is very high on two prospect: DB jamar Taylor and DE William Gholston.i'de like to Know your opinion on thoses 2 players(where will they be picked, do they fit...) thank you

When will you update your rankings?I'm waiting anxiously...
Thought this was the post combine board and got real excited. Can't wait for your next update, Maddog!
give him time guys, these things take forever to do
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
give him time guys, these things take forever to do

They do. Expanding the board out and catching up on about 50 Pro Days. Lot of stuff to sift through.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Butter:
I'm actually totally down with that idea. I can absolutely see a team trying to jump into the 31st pick to get "their guy", much like the Bucs did for Doug Martin last year:

Bucs Traded 2012 second round pick (#36-Derek Wolfe), 2012 fourth round pick (#101-Omar Bolden) to Broncos for 2012 first round pick (#31-Doug Martin), 2012 fourth round pick (#126-Jared Crick) on 2012-04-26

But it seems like all they really gained was a higher 4th round pick. Maybe a better way to go would be to pick up a 2014 pick?

It all depends on how far they trade down, the 49ers traded up 9 spots in the 2nd to take Kaepernick and had to give up their 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks.

I really think we will stock pile high round draft picks this year. The value is too good in rounds 3-5.
Share 49ersWebzone