LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Ollie Ols 2013 49ers Mock Draft 1.0

• 9moon
  • Veteran
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice mock, moon.
I would hurt something/someone if the 49ers did that.

If WR happens to be BPA then that's one thing but to trade up for one is incredibly stupid given the strength of this draft and the needs that we have

Also i know the webzone has a hardon for combine numbers and athletic ability but I wouldn't touch Hunt until our own 3rd rounder let alone trade UP in the 2nd round for him.

The guy is old and raw - I don't care how big, strong, fast..etc he is. The guy needs a ton of work to become a proper football player. Trading up in the 2nd round for someone like that is a really bad idea. This team can do a great job of filling holes on the team and getting good depth. This is not a good idea.

I like the rest of the draft tho...tho I just noticed what you have us trading up with. Lol you really think teams are going to trade down for those picks? A late 4th round pick will probably won't even let you trade up 1 spot in the first round. Ditto a 6th round pick in the 2nd round.
Is this the All-Bust Potential Mock Draft

1-Patterson won't be around when the 49ers pick, he could go as early as Pick 12 in the 1st Round, nor anywhere else where a single 4th rounder could move them up to. That said, he's extremely raw, not a guy I see jumping in and being a big contributor early on.

2-Hunt has tremendous potential but looked absolutely overwhelmed at the Senior Bowl, very risky pick. Additionally he'll be 26 at the start of next season, not sure how you get younger by drafting a guy who is almost the same age as Ray McDonald.

3. Mathieu, For an undersized player who doesn't seem to have a position, this is way way too high, I have Mathieu going in the 5th, there's way too many quality cornerbacks around the early 3rd round range to blow one on him at that point.

3. Williams, Not impressed, questionable motor, a guy who plays when he feels like playing, not a recipe for success.

4. Levine Toilolo-Impressive size, decent downfield receiver, has a lot of work to do as a blocker.

5. Ray Ray Armstrong-I like him in the 7th round, however I have doubts about whether he can play safety in the NFL, has horrible tackling technique to boot.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

1-Patterson won't be around when the 49ers pick, he could go as early as Pick 12 in the 1st Round, nor anywhere else where a single 4th rounder could move them up to. That said, he's extremely raw, not a guy I see jumping in and being a big contributor early on.

2-Hunt has tremendous potential but looked absolutely overwhelmed at the Senior Bowl, very risky pick. Additionally he'll be 26 at the start of next season, not sure how you get younger by drafting a guy who is almost the same age as Ray McDonald.

3. Mathieu, For an undersized player who doesn't seem to have a position, this is way way too high, I have Mathieu going in the 5th, there's way too many quality cornerbacks around the early 3rd round range to blow one on him at that point.

3. Williams, Not impressed, questionable motor, a guy who plays when he feels like playing, not a recipe for success.

4. Levine Toilolo-Impressive size, decent downfield receiver, has a lot of work to do as a blocker.

5. Ray Ray Armstrong-I like him in the 7th round, however I have doubts about whether he can play safety in the NFL, has horrible tackling technique to boot.

Have to agree with pretty much everything here. If I was going to trade up that high it might be for Sheldon Richardson. No way I would move up that high for Patterson. I think there are enough WRS in rds 2 or 3 to get a qualtiy guy. I also wouldnt trade up for Hunt. And.. I dont know how high you actually think you would be moving up by just adding a 6th. Maybe 1 spot.

I really dont like Mathieu at all. I know a lot to based 2 years ago at LSU but I think the guy is overrated.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Have to agree with pretty much everything here. If I was going to trade up that high it might be for Sheldon Richardson. No way I would move up that high for Patterson. I think there are enough WRS in rds 2 or 3 to get a qualtiy guy. I also wouldnt trade up for Hunt. And.. I dont know how high you actually think you would be moving up by just adding a 6th. Maybe 1 spot.

I really dont like Mathieu at all. I know a lot to based 2 years ago at LSU but I think the guy is overrated.

Hunt is no Pierce Holt. Remember him?
Not a fan. I don't think we need another 1st round WR. Can he beat crabs, Williams, manningham, and Jenkins for playing time? I would bet we will draft a WR, but we need our 1st round picks to contribute this year. I think that pick should help out of dline or DBs. Matthieu in the 3rd, no thanks. Very raw at CB and still has off field issues.(His last game was national championship and he got beat bad) I wouldn't mine getting him late for his return skill though. I do like the Armstrong and Davis picks in 7th. I've seen a lot of ACC games and they are raw but can make plays.
Originally posted by genus49:
I would hurt something/someone if the 49ers did that.

If WR happens to be BPA then that's one thing but to trade up for one is incredibly stupid given the strength of this draft and the needs that we have

Also i know the webzone has a hardon for combine numbers and athletic ability but I wouldn't touch Hunt until our own 3rd rounder let alone trade UP in the 2nd round for him.

The guy is old and raw - I don't care how big, strong, fast..etc he is. The guy needs a ton of work to become a proper football player. Trading up in the 2nd round for someone like that is a really bad idea. This team can do a great job of filling holes on the team and getting good depth. This is not a good idea.

I like the rest of the draft tho...tho I just noticed what you have us trading up with. Lol you really think teams are going to trade down for those picks? A late 4th round pick will probably won't even let you trade up 1 spot in the first round. Ditto a 6th round pick in the 2nd round.

This. A WR at 31 I can live with, provided it represents value. Trading up for a WR doesn't make a lot of sense to me, given how direly we need DL, pass rush, and secondary help.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Our best chance to move up will be in the 2nd and 3rd. Still a ton of quality at that point. I don't like any of the guys on the mock. Ray Ray is okay but why draft a project at saftey when we may need help right away and this kid may not be able to beat out McBath, Spillman, Robinson, or any other back end project guy we got already
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Thanks for the thoughts guys.. But these are the reasons for why I chose the individuals.

1) Patterson - We only have Crab next year. Jenkins will more likely be a slot receiver. He's not a #2. Patterson will be our clear out guy. He's got Ginn's speed to get deep, and has some Randy Moss ability once the ball is in the air. In my opinion, he will cancel out the loss of both Moss & Ginn

2) Hunt - the guy is 26, but he's a young 26 and he does reminds me a lot of Pierce Holt. He may not know football all that well, but his hard work will get him there. With his height (6'8") and wing span, it can benefit us well.. Plus, I like the idea of this hard working kid to learn from Justin Smith.

3) Honey Badger - sure he is raw.. sure he's gotten in trouble.. but one thing is for sure, he's got that IT in him.. plus, he was raw when he was the best defensive player of the year in the SEC... so it means that he's got full of potential if he can keep his head straight.. he will also sell tickets and jerseys..

3) Williams - i know this for sure because i saw lots of UNC game for the last 3 years.. and I really could not describe this kid the way I did above.. he can be that awesome Albert Haynesworth, or he can also be that awful Haynesworth,. I often found myself jumping and in an awe when he's ON and there are times that I scratch my head when he's off.. I would still take a chance on him because we do have the veterans to show him the way to greatness.. I personally would not draft him, if our team is on a rebuilding year.

5) Toilolo - the man known as the "Towering Inferno".. I would think that this is Jim's pick alone. I can imagine what he can do w/ this new toy of his. Plus, w/the Seahawks looking for a TE, Harbaugh would really hate to see another Stanford player of his gets snatch by ol' Peetey..

6) Hopkins - It was nice to see our whole organization rode Akers to the very end, and it was also nice to see that his final NFL kick was in the Super Bowl and made it. But it is now time for a new kicker, and it is best to go w/ someone new in the league than a Cundiff.

7) Armstrong - he came to the "U" with such big expectations, but w/ all the turmoils and the troubles that the University dealt with affected not only his game, but those of the others. First of all, the "U" will not allow him to wear #26 had he not been that great of a player coming out. Jay Jay is a gifted athlete w/ imposing size. He will be a very spectacular special team player, and will be our future SS.

7) McGee - this kid is a different type of player compare to our earlier pick (Williams).. this kid will run his motor until the last second of the game. he will compete, and compete and will never take a play off. His engine makes up for not having that of God given talent.

7) Davis - Vtech issued a retired #7 jersey for this kid w/ a reason. He was suppose to be their next superstar. But the inconsistent play of 3 QBs while he was there also affected his games. There shouldn't be much complaint to draft another WR in the 7th round, especially if all he needs is to find the belief in him..

• fan49
  • Veteran
Love it. Were not missing solid players. Were missing playmakers. This draft covers that.
#'s 2 and 6 are spot on. Won't need to move up to get Hunt. The rest,
I think moving up in the early rounds is much more costly than u realize... I agree with your assessment of williams i think playing behind cowboy and ray mac would be huge for his development... But he is no sure thing...
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
More and more I think that these players will be a 9er..
Actually Marcuss Davis had a severe shoulder injury which is why his draft stock is so low. He has played through it and could possibly wind up disabled.
Share 49ersWebzone