LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

My rough mock offseason, free agent signings and extensions, cuts, etc... (No Draft yet)

I was working on a rough mock offseason, and this is what I have so far. Let me know what you guys think.

We trade Alex Smith on the 14th of March 2013 to save $9.75 million, we get a 3rd rounder from KC in 2014.

We cut Parys Haralson and David Akers, saves $2.87M and $3.05M.

We now, with the new cap room, plus previous cap room, are under the $121M cap by $17.77M.

Now restructures/extensions:

Justin Smith – He has a $7.5M base salary for 2013, we need to get that down to $940K, convert the remaining $6.56M into a signing bonus over 4 seasons(3 extra on top of 2013), at $1.64M a year. We now have a savings of $4.92M.

Donte Whitner – He has a $3.85M base salary for 2013, we need that down to minimum of $840K, convert the $3.01M into a signing bonus over 3 additional years, so 4 year proration at $752,500, and a savings of $2,575,500.

Tarell Brown – He has a $2.925M base salary, cut it down to $715K, convert that $2.21M into a signing bonus over 5 seasons total, or though 2017, at a $442K a year, plus we give him a 2nd year option bonus of $4M over 4 years at $1M a yr, but that is in 2014. We save $1.768M

Mario Manningham – He has a $3.6M base salary in 2013, we cut down to around $715K, turn the $2.885M into a signing bonus at $577K over 5 seasons, through 2017, plus a $2.5M roster bonus in 2014, with other roster bonuses over the rest of the 5 year extension/deal. Saves us $3.462M

Now we are under by $30,495,500. Obviously we could get away with no extensions for Brown and Mario, but I rather us extend these 2, they are long term answers IMO.

Now lets sign Dashon Goldson to a 6yr deal worth $7M average, or $42M, with incentives for INTs and Pro Bowl, All Pro, etc.. to bring total to another $2M. Give him up front $8M in 2013, which includes a $1M base, $5M roster bonus, and $2M in bonus proration, so a $10M signing bonus(Only prorates over 5 years, so no $2M in 2018).

Next up is decisions on Delanie Walker, Isaac Sopoaga, and Ricky Jean Francois. I say we sign RJF, to a 3-year deal worth $2.5M a year, or $7.5M overall, with $3M signing bonus, and $2.5M in 2013.

I re-sign Tavares Gooden to a 2-year deal worth $2.5M, or $1.25M a year average.

Leonard Davis is signed for 1yr $940,000, with a $65K bonus, but only counts $555K in base, plus $65K, so only $620K for vet credit rules.

So far we have taken off $12.37M, lets take $5M for draft picks aside, and we have $17.37M taken away, and gives us $13,125,500 left.

Extensions for up coming free agents now.

Mike Iupati – 6yr deal worth $45M, we will give him a $4M roster bonus paid right away in 2013, plus a $5M signing bonus, plus has roster bonuses and workout bonuses in the deal.

Michael Crabtree – 5yr deal worth $35M, we give him a $4M roster bonus, plus a $5M signing bonus, same as Iupati.

So we taken off $10M for those 2, and leaves us under by $3,125,500 for the 2013 season. Now we would of already sign the remaining 7 practice squanders to 2 yr deals. Takes away $405k, As the 6 others don't count due to top 51 rule.

Now heading into draft day, we look at signing status.

Signed through 2018:
LG Mike Iupati
ILB NaVorro Bowman
FS Dashon Goldson
P Andy Lee

2017 Season:
WR Michael Crabtree
WR Mario Manningham
LT Joe Staley
OLB Ahmad Brooks
CB Tarell Brown

2016 season:
DE Justin Smith
DE Ray McDonald
ILB Patrick Willis
SS Donte Whitner

2015 Season:
RB LaMichael James
WR AJ Jenkins (Would be 2016 if we pick up option, and no extension)
TE Vernon Davis
RG Alex Boone
LG Joe Looney
NT/DE Ricky Jean Francois
OLB Darius Fleming
CB Carlos Rogers
SS Trenton Robinson

2014 Season:
QB Colin Kaepernick
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
RB Jewel Hampton (RFA)
FB Bruce Miller
WR Ricardo Lockette (EFA)
TE Garrett Celek (RFA)
C Daniel Kilgore
RT Anthony Davis
OG Wayne Tribue (EFA)
OL Al Netter (EFA)
OL Kenny Wiggins (EFA)
DE Tony Jerod-Eddie (EFA)
NT Lamar Divens (EFA)
OLB Aldon Smith (Would be 2015 if we don't extend)
OLB Nate Stupar (EFA)
ILB Tavares Gooden
CB Chris Culliver
FS C.J. Spillman
FS Michael Thomas (EFA)
SS Curtis Taylor (EFA)
LS Brian Jennings

2013 season:
QB Scott Tolzien (RFA)
RB Anthony Dixon
FB/DE Will Tukuafu (RFA)
WR Kyle Williams
WR Chad Hall
TE/DE Demarcus Dobbs (RFA)
C Jonathan Goodwin
RG Leonard Davis
NT Ian Williams (RFA)
OLB Cam Johnson (EFA)
OLB Eric Bakhtiari (RFA) (Signed futures contract according to NFLPA database)
ILB Michael Wilhoite (EFA)
CB Perrish Cox (RFA)

Future Cap Situations:

Current:

2014- $36.071M under
2015- $61.149M under
2016- $92.025M under

Now new:

2014- $25,911,500 Taken from following cap numbers.
Manningham- $4.077M
Brown- $2.442M
Smith- $4.64M
Whitner- $2,020,500
Goldson- $5M
RJF- $2.5M
Gooden- $1.25M
Crabs- $2M extra
Iupati- $2M extra

New cap room- $ 10,159,500 (Enough to extend Aldon and Kaepernick).

2015- $39,179,500 taken for following salaries.
Manningham- $4.577M
Whitner- $3,020,500
Smith- $7.64M
Brown- $4.442M
RJF- $2.5M
Goldson- $7M
Iupati- $5M
Crabtree- $5M

New Cap room- $ 21,969,500

2016 would be around $50M taken off, for now $40M cap room. This is depending on extensions for A.Davis, Aldon and Kaepernick, plus Culliver, Hunter, Miller, Kilgore.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Feb 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM ]
Most interesting resigning in your plan is Manningham. You would resign him even after the major knee injury? He showed some definite promise in our offense this year, but the Niners have plenty of picks to find a younger, healthier replacement. Why would you extend him?
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Feb 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Most interesting resigning in your plan is Manningham. You would resign him even after the major knee injury? He showed some definite promise in our offense this year, but the Niners have plenty of picks to find a younger, healthier replacement. Why would you extend him?

I just think he can be an ideal #2 WR with Crabtree,would be a nice 1-2 combo.
How about extending Anthony Davis, he has steadily improved and is entering his prime soon.

oh and btw, AB, you're incredible at this! I know I've said it like 10 times already, but damn you really should get paid to do this!
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

If it was up to me, I'd like to have more size at #1 or #2. I think Mario is an ideal slot guy.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
How about extending Anthony Davis, he has steadily improved and is entering his prime soon.

oh and btw, AB, you're incredible at this! I know I've said it like 10 times already, but damn you really should get paid to do this!

A.Davis is one who could be extended, we got like 5 or 6 we need to address in the next 2 offseasons.

And thanks, I would love to do this for a real job, but not at the moment anyway.
A.Davis is one who could be extended, we got like 5 or 6 we need to address in the next 2 offseasons.

And thanks, I would love to do this for a real job, but not at the moment anyway.

great job man, love everything you said honestly. By the looks of it we're good in the future and have the room to go out and extend out guys. I would love it to go the way you said and then get a good NT in the 1st round, TE in the 2nd or 3rd and just chill with the rest and have trust in our management to make the right calls.

Question for you, do u think we will go out and spend a little bit of $ on a backup QB?
Here is my initial reaction:

1. I just don't see all those guys restructuring in the same year.
2. Justin Smith extended 4 more years? Maybe he plays that long? If he does, I doubt he'll be very effective in his last years - maybe, he is a machine. But if not, and we release him that will accelerate dollars into earlier year caps.
3. RJF - I like his play, but the dollar amount seems a bit high for me.
4. TBrown - I think he'll be looking for a raise - IMHO he is underrated. Does your salary for him create a raise?
5. Manningham -- Like his ability to get open and quickness in the open field, but that should be Jenkins soon - RIGHT?

I think a big re-signing of Mario and drafting of receivers would spell bust for Jenkins. I'm not being critical - you can't get them all right. And I would much prefer the team make the call to move on (in year 3, not next year) rather than clinging to false hope on the guy. I like this staff - they seem to know right away who they can develop and who they can't.
Thanks AB! Awesome information as always
AB, Webzoners should petition the 49ers to sign you up in their front office. My take on Manningham is to cut ties, his injury history is too big of a factor in assessing his value. We don't need a receiver who plays half the games. That said, when he plays he's a difference maker.

Great job as always AB83!

I disagree strongly. With the Giants he was a #3 WR, they showed little interest in bringing him back and ultimately I see him as a #3 WR at best, I'd like to see the 49ers add another impact receiver, someone comparable to Crabtree, to play opposite him. Kaepernick needs credible targets and I don't see Manningham bringing enough to the table, especially after a devastating injury.

I have a feeling it may come down to keeping Davis or Iupati, but not both. If that were to be the case, I think I'd prefer for them to keep Iupati, finding a competent right tackle should be easier than a dominating guard.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Here is my initial reaction:

1. I just don't see all those guys restructuring in the same year.
2. Justin Smith extended 4 more years? Maybe he plays that long? If he does, I doubt he'll be very effective in his last years - maybe, he is a machine. But if not, and we release him that will accelerate dollars into earlier year caps.
3. RJF - I like his play, but the dollar amount seems a bit high for me.
4. TBrown - I think he'll be looking for a raise - IMHO he is underrated. Does your salary for him create a raise?
5. Manningham -- Like his ability to get open and quickness in the open field, but that should be Jenkins soon - RIGHT?

I think a big re-signing of Mario and drafting of receivers would spell bust for Jenkins. I'm not being critical - you can't get them all right. And I would much prefer the team make the call to move on (in year 3, not next year) rather than clinging to false hope on the guy. I like this staff - they seem to know right away who they can develop and who they can't.

I know it's far fetched to see these guys extend their deals, just makes sense to get the core signed, whether it happens, likely not, but would love to at least see Brown, Iupati, Crabtree and Whitner extended, then we can decide on Mario after 2013, and Justin can decide whenever he is ready.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I have a feeling it may come down to keeping Davis or Iupati, but not both. If that were to be the case, I think I'd prefer for them to keep Iupati, finding a competent right tackle should be easier than a dominating guard.

If so, Iupati wins, a LG is harder to find than a RT, even though I hope both are extended. It is nice to see that the 2010 draft has been as good as 2011 was for us. Those 2 with 2007 really built this team, plus FA signings, waiver claims, etc...
I'm not sure I'd give Manningham that kind of an extension until I saw what his recovery is like. He was a good #2 before but now......? I also think we need to keep Soap for another 2 years. 330lb NT who can hold the point aren't easy to come by and I don't think RJF can hold up for the entire season. Last thought, keeping this O-Line together would be paramount. Lock down Iupati, Boone and Davis before anything else gets done. We've seen what a weak RT (anyone remember the human turnstile Kwame Harris?) and RG (ask Cutler and the bears about Chilo!) means for both pass protection and the run game. This is the best line in the NFL and they are all young. Barring significant injury keeping this line together could be the foundation for a new dynasty.
Share 49ersWebzone