LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

MBA Mock Draft 3.0 Post Senior Bowl Edition

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Can't see the team going with that many potential rookies. I do see Baalke trading some of those picks for more future picks, like the pats always do. Or we trade up for quality this year.

I originally thought the same as you, but the Niners could lose 10-11 guys off the roster this offseason due to free agency or cap cutting measures. Baalke put the team in this position with some shrewd moves to have this many picks. He has proved that he will do whatever (trade up or down) to get what they want. Just find it harder to predict those moves in a mock draft.
Perfectly fine with this mock, but not a big fan of Tank Carradine as a 3-4 OLB. Solid pass rusher, but doesn't show enough athleticism to play linebacker/drop in coverage when needed IMO. Other than that, looks good.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Perfectly fine with this mock, but not a big fan of Tank Carradine as a 3-4 OLB. Solid pass rusher, but doesn't show enough athleticism to play linebacker/drop in coverage when needed IMO. Other than that, looks good.

Thanks, Ghost. The wild card out there is Darius Fleming IMO. If he comes back healthy, he could be the 2 down OLB that can handle double duty against the run and in coverage. That leaves the Niners with a need for another primary option that simply rushes the passer in obvious passing situations. That would be Carradine.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I originally thought the same as you, but the Niners could lose 10-11 guys off the roster this offseason due to free agency or cap cutting measures. Baalke put the team in this position with some shrewd moves to have this many picks. He has proved that he will do whatever (trade up or down) to get what they want. Just find it harder to predict those moves in a mock draft.

I see nothing wrong with adding a whole ton of rookies considering most of them will be used as backups to provide depth and develop into future starters. To me that is the ideal situation in terms of building a team.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I see nothing wrong with adding a whole ton of rookies considering most of them will be used as backups to provide depth and develop into future starters. To me that is the ideal situation in terms of building a team.

I would much rather us draft 5-6 players to address depth and position of need. One of each C,K, OLB, DE, LB,S and then trade the rest of our pick for position in 2014. I mean at this point can we really say this team is TRULY weak at in particular area. We may not have shutdown corners and Justin Smith may be getting older but these our concerns not weaknesses in the way that Atlantas Dline is weak or NEs secondary. If we continue to trade back and trade pick we would be in a really good position for the future when the weaknesses become a reality.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I would much rather us draft 5-6 players to address depth and position of need. One of each C,K, OLB, DE, LB,S and then trade the rest of our pick for position in 2014. I mean at this point can we really say this team is TRULY weak at in particular area. We may not have shutdown corners and Justin Smith may be getting older but these our concerns not weaknesses in the way that Atlantas Dline is weak or NEs secondary. If we continue to trade back and trade pick we would be in a really good position for the future when the weaknesses become a reality.

They need to fill in too many positions to just trade picks away arbitrarily. At minimum they need a DE, DT, CB, WR, K, and that isn't even accounting for filling in holes at backup ILB, OG/OT and so on and on.

One of the ways New England screwed themselves is that they got too clever with trading down, they kept doing it year after year and missed out on a lot of quality players and their defense suffered as a result. If you can get quality, go ahead and draft that player now.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:

They need to fill in too many positions to just trade picks away arbitrarily. At minimum they need a DE, DT, CB, WR, K, and that isn't even accounting for filling in holes at backup ILB, OG/OT and so on and on.

One of the ways New England screwed themselves is that they got too clever with trading down, they kept doing it year after year and missed out on a lot of quality players and their defense suffered as a result. If you can get quality, go ahead and draft that player now.

Forgot Safety. Even if we lock up goldson we are in desperate need of Safety depth. A long term injury there would hurt badly.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Forgot Safety. Even if we lock up goldson we are in desperate need of Safety depth. A long term injury there would hurt badly.

That too, I think that having a bunch of rookies isn't an issue when its a veteran team coming off a (knock on wood) Superbowl winning season. They could easily add 9 or 10 rookies, and still be able to acquire extra picks for next year through trading picks away and trading down. If they end up at 32 in the draft, it almost always makes sense to trade down a few spots as there's somebody that ends up dropping that another team wants, usually a QB, so that is a good way to add extra future picks.
Share 49ersWebzone