LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

I' ve concluded that DL Jesse Williams is 'my guy' at #32 ( or near there)

The one reason I like this guy over Jenkins is the fact he can play DT and NT. 0,1,3 tec. We need versatility if were going to draft a NT with the first.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Has "YOLO" tattooed on his face. Pass.

this. dudes a moron.
Originally posted by loyalniner:
Your DT clogs the middle and collapses the pocket that the QB would be stepping up into when he's getting rushed off the edges. Why wouldn't you want the strongest guy in the entire league to play that position......

This. You want to force that QB to retreat/backpeddal, or out of the pocket into the arms of an Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, or even Ray Mc and Justin Smith on occasion. Also people speak about how Aldon Smith's game fell off when Justin Smith got hurt. Imagine how much help Justin Smith could get if there were another guy on the defensive line that could command double teams? Either Smith gets less attention, which unleashes him, or the linebackers are allowed a clear path the the QB (I don't see many running backs or tight ends stopping Aldon Smith alone).
Originally posted by loyalniner:
Your DT clogs the middle and collapses the pocket that the QB would be stepping up into when he's getting rushed off the edges. Why wouldn't you want the strongest guy in the entire league to play that position......

This is why I want him or a similar guy at nose. A pocket-pushing nose creates better rush angles for the outside guys and doesn't allow the QB to step up into a clean pocket. The 3-4 DEs (5-techs) should ideally be able to both push the pocket and pursue (see: Justin Smith and Ray McDonald). From what I've seen of Jesse Williams, he is excellent as pushing the pocket and occupying blockers, but he is not so excellent in pursuit.
With 14 picks how high can we trade up (realistically) if baalke finds a player that he likes?? We are not drafting 14 players, I would think.
Originally posted by eonblue:
The one reason I like this guy over Jenkins is the fact he can play DT and NT. 0,1,3 tec. We need versatility if were going to draft a NT with the first.

Originally posted by buck:
The fact that Williams did not have many sacks at Alabama does necessarily mean that he can not be effective rushing the passer.
That lack of sacks at Alabama may have been a product of the defensive scheme and the role he was assigned.

I think we need to see just how athletic and explosive he is.

The combine will help clarify his potential at 3-4 defensive end.

edit: Williams played both 3-4 DE and NT at Alabama.

Bottom Line

This Australia native came through the junior college ranks before starting all 13 games for the 2011 BCS champions at five-technique and another 13 games at nose tackle in 2012.

Williams uses his size, consistent motor and supreme toughness to drain his opponents at the point of attack.

His best NFL position is likely at nose tackle, but Williams has enough athleticism to play multiple spots for a 3-4 team at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jesse-williams?id=2539192

Sacks and pass rushing ability are not the same thing. Williams lacks pass rushing moves of any kind, its not typically something you develop if you don't have it to begin with, guys who were lousy pass-rushers in college don't become great pass-rushers in the NFL. Williams most useful position is at NT, or DE for a team like the Steelers, any eventual replacement for Justin Smith has to provide developed pass rush ability, Williams doesn't in the slightest, however I have no problem with him playing as a more mobile, athletic NT in this defense.
I had class back in November with Jesse's cousin from Australia. Jesse is a beast and I think he is so athletic at the NT position. The thing is I wonder how much attention he could preoccupy the center and guard with?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
After looking through so many mocks, senior bowl coverage, scouting reports, etc, I've come to the conclusion that Alabama DL Jesse Williams is the beck pick for the 49ers.

but unlike many. I want him as a 5 technique end, not a nose tackle. His versatility, size, and experience playing at a high level makes him an ideal pick.

He might grow into a NT eventually, but that's not what I'd draft him for.

who else is with me?
Not me. Williams is a bit over-rated. In the 5-tech he will be horribly out of position: He will get stood up, out techniqued, and out-classed consistently by NFL O-tackles. He isn't quick at all. Don't use his hands well enough for the 5-tech. While he has massive gym strength he don't possess pocket collapsing abilities. And most notably, he's too stiff and not too agile. There's a reason he was moved from the 5-tech to the inside early in his time at Alabama. Trust me, he won't see the 5-tech. in the NFL. He'll be a two down guy who won't play outside of the 2-tech. Finally, Although I think he's overrated I don't envision he'll drop past pick 25.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM ]
I
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by buck:
The fact that Williams did not have many sacks at Alabama does necessarily mean that he can not be effective rushing the passer.
That lack of sacks at Alabama may have been a product of the defensive scheme and the role he was assigned.

I think we need to see just how athletic and explosive he is.

The combine will help clarify his potential at 3-4 defensive end.

He supposedly runs in the 4.7 range, but as I mentioned in another thread, he looks completely stationary when you watch him play. Even in pursuit down the LOS his feet look very heavy.

He might instantly be the strongest guy in the entire league as soon as he's drafted, but I have a tough time envisioning him offering much from a pass rush standpoint.
I felt the same way about his feet. sluggish. He screams NT to me.
Share 49ersWebzone