LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 432 users in the forums

Cordarrelle Patterson

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by bALLSOhARD:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Some great plays, thanks for the video. Liked the way he caught the ball in all different manners...over shoulder, high point, sliding, diving, etc. Also liked the way he adjusted to the ball and put himself between the ball and the defender. Lastly, loved the way he avoided hits but don't think he will get away with all the cutbacks in the NFL...too much speed and discipline on defense.

Agreed he's gonna have to learn the balance of to take what they give you and try a score every play.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I just dont think it makes sense to take another WR that is raw and unrefined in the first round after doing the same thing last year. Now, if he did fall to the 3rd (which he wont) I would go for him. Defense has to be the focus early on.

Can't use last year negative against the next. Think about no Williams, no Ginn, no Ham, possibly no Moss, we're not that deep. At least to start the year for Ham and Williams. Someone like Patterson could make this team electric in the pass game and return game. I see it as two for one. At the very least you traded Jenkins for Patterson this year for arguement sake Ginn isn't playing Sunday. He'd be on the sideline like Jenkins has been all year. Patterson wouldn't be sitting on the sidelines on an important 3rd down in the NFC championship game.

I'm not saying that I dont want a WR to be drafted. I would look at a WR in the 2nd or 3rd rd. Someone like Quinton Patton or Terrance Williams for example could be available in the 2nd when the Niners select. I just think it makes much more sense to draft someone like Datron Jones, Shariff Floyd, or Jesse Williams if they are there in the first.
My preference would be a WR before a DLman. Starters on the D line are set, not so with the WRs. We have Crabtree and no clear #2 WR.
Interesting take on cbssports.com

Draft Fallers:

Cordarelle Patterson

Patterson is physically strapped together with an intriguing, athletic skill-set that might land him in the top half of round one. He needs work on his routes and concentration to better separate and finish catches, but NFL scouts are even more concerned with what's going on between his ears. Patterson's interviews have "turned off" some teams, according to sources, coming off as "egotistical" to go along with questions about his mental aptitude to quickly digest and execute a NFL playbook. His physical upside is undeniable and he simply knows how to make plays with the ball in his hands. But doubts about the way he carries himself could cause Patterson to slip on draft day, probably out of the top 20 selections.

This is all probably immaterial, but he could pique our interest if he lasts til mid 20's.

From Scouts.com, Patterson ranks #30.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
If you all remember, in my first Mock Draft, I had us trading up around the 20ish (chicago) and drafting Patterson. I still think that it's possible.. I have a feeling that Crab will not wanna stay w/ us once his contract is up.. and If Harbaalke feesl the same way as I do, I would pull the trigger and draft Patterson, and also draft Robert Woods ( who I call is the most POLISHED WR in this class) in the 2nd round....

Also remember that Baalke's idea of drafting is "for the future", and this is the same reason why I would draft the two WRs early, and use the rest of our pick to find the defensive needs..
[ Edited by 9moon on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM ]
Who is Patterson's game similar to in the NFL? Im having a hard time thinking of a comparison.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
In my opinion, he's a bigger and taller Joey Galloway.. Do you all remember him??
Originally posted by natrone06:
Who is Patterson's game similar to in the NFL? Im having a hard time thinking of a comparison.

He reminds me of a less polished version of Dwayne Bowe. But Patterson is faster.
Originally posted by 9moon:
If you all remember, in my first Mock Draft, I had us trading up around the 20ish (chicago) and drafting Patterson. I still think that it's possible.. I have a feeling that Crab will not wanna stay w/ us once his contract is up.. and If Harbaalke feesl the same way as I do, I would pull the trigger and draft Patterson, and also draft Robert Woods ( who I call is the most POLISHED WR in this class) in the 2nd round....

Also remember that Baalke's idea of drafting is "for the future", and this is the same reason why I would draft the two WRs early, and use the rest of our pick to find the defensive needs..

I could not disagree more about our draft strategy this year. Taking the trade into account, you'd be spending 3 of our first 5 picks on WRs. Crazy.
is the raw route running really a factor that is significant.....
i mean, dont the niners have a receivers coach who could work with him on that
id rather take the guy with exceptional athletic skills and depend on my staff to coach him up, than a guy much less talented but fundamentally more sound

and really, how important is route running in todays nfl.....its not like the raymond berry days when they ran button hooks and posts etc...now more teams are doing bubble screens, drags, crossing routes and go patterns....
Originally posted by hofer36:
id rather take the guy with exceptional athletic skills and depend on my staff to coach him up, than a guy much less talented but fundamentally more sound

and really, how important is route running in todays nfl.....its not like the raymond berry days when they ran button hooks and posts etc...now more teams are doing bubble screens, drags, crossing routes and go patterns....

AJ Jenkins was apparently a good route runner coming out of Illinois, but didn't have the physique to play right away. Patterson seems to be the opposite.
If his mind is f**ked up I don't want him

I see Josh Cribbs.

Dynamic with the ball in his hands, but that's where it gets complicated. How will you get him the ball?

Too raw as a receiver. He looks uncomfortable catching the ball. However, his superior athletic abilities allows him to make crisp cuts (Look up his Combine tape for evidence of this).

He has good size, so, if he can learn a pro offence and becomes a better catcher, he will be good.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Apr 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM ]
This is a tough one! The kid is 6'2" and he runs a 4.33. He has the size and athleticism that we need and this has been missing in the redzone. Plus we know that Boldin may be here for one year/Crabtree leaves for greener pastures once his contract is up.

Cordy can come in and learn the ropes from Boldin. He wouldn't put rushed into duty but he'd get his share of touches. This would also allow us to get rid of Manningham.

WR is not our biggest need but this kid may be special if he's handled correctly. I'd say get it done if he drops.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
I see Josh Cribbs.

Dynamic with the ball in his hands, but that's where it gets complicated. How will you get him the ball?

Too raw as a receiver. He looks uncomfortable catching the ball. However, his superior athletic abilities allows him to make crisp cuts (Look up his Combine tape for evidence of this).

He has good size, so, if he can learn a pro offence and becomes a better catcher, he will be good.

Wow that's actually the first comparison that makes sense to me. Very interesting.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:

He's a bigger version of Harvin or Cobb.

Cribbs makes some sense, but Patterson is a better receiver already, IMO. Cribbs was an UDFA QB and is still more raw.

Patterson has similar potential to guys like Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant. Bigger receiver that can return kicks and has both RAC ability and deep speed, but not the most refined route runners or best hands catchers.

He may not be used in the NFL like he was in college or he may end up limited because he can't learn NFL playbooks.

He's an interesting prospect. Too bad it sounds like he isn't coming across as very coachable in interviews.
Originally posted by hofer36:

Apparently it is.

His struggles are a reason why I'm a little bit worried about Sammie Coates who I like a lot otherwise. Patterson exploded on to the scene as a returner, but this season has struggled both as a receiver and a returner and he isn't doing a whole lot right at the moment.

The same issues that were brought up before the draft are the very issues that he's struggling with at the moment. I think he's still going to be a pretty good receiver in the NFL, but it might take some time.
Share 49ersWebzone