LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

MadDog's Post Senior Bowl Big 100 Board

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by jta854:
If he is available Cordarrelle Patterson should be our pick. However, I bet he blows up the combine and is off the board by our pick

He's the kind of raw project player I would love to have after the 3rd, but he'll get drafted too high based on potential.

I agree. Last thing the Niners need is another project WR after this years debacle with AJ Jenkins. The Niners need to draft defense as the top of this draft. Based on MDs rankings I might go:

1) Sam Montgomery OLB Good value at #32 . Another big time pass rusher would be huge
2) Brandon Williams DT Plug in your NT for a few years
3A) Logan Ryan CB MD put him at this spot for Niners. Excellent value at a need position
3B Stedman Bailey WR The Niners need a quick slot WR who can also excel in the return game
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
If he is available Cordarrelle Patterson should be our pick. However, I bet he blows up the combine and is off the board by our pick

He's the kind of raw project player I would love to have after the 3rd, but he'll get drafted too high based on potential.

I agree. Last thing the Niners need is another project WR after this years debacle with AJ Jenkins. The Niners need to draft defense as the top of this draft. Based on MDs rankings I might go:

1) Sam Montgomery OLB Good value at #32 . Another big time pass rusher would be huge
3A) Logan Ryan CB MD put him at this spot for Niners. Excellent value at a need position
3B Stedman Bailey WR The Niners need a quick slot WR who can also excel in the return game

Do we really, though? Kyle Williams is proven in that role. Manningham is can also excel in the slot. And I doubt they're giving up on Jenkins yet.

Seems a "quick slot WR who can also excel in the return game" is just about the last thing we need. We don't have a single tall WR or deep threat type other than our TE (assuming Randy Moss keeps slowing down).
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Okay I'll be the one to ask: Do you have Te'o slipping due to his scandal/publicity, or purely due to football and what you see transpiring throughout the process? I think this is the first time I've seen him not in the 10-20 range.

I think he was overrated before as a prospect by the common fan, and thought that Ogletree would be drafted before him. Now, I think we will see further separation. With Middle Linebackers, a team is looking for a leader. I think it would be a challenge for him to assume a leadership position based on his ridiculous adventure in lying or naivity.

Do we really, though? Kyle Williams is proven in that role. Manningham is can also excel in the slot. And I doubt they're giving up on Jenkins yet.

Seems a "quick slot WR who can also excel in the return game" is just about the last thing we need. We don't have a single tall WR or deep threat type other than our TE (assuming Randy Moss keeps slowing down).

I love Bailey. I think he'd be a great addition to the team. Williams and Manningham are both coming off injuries and there is no telling what their recovery time will be. I think there are some big, "project" WR that can be found in the 5-6th rounds, and I'd be totally fine with the Niners drafting multiple WR with all of their picks.

The one concept that does make me pause is the idea of drafting a safety or TE at that spot though, depending on who falls. This draft is pretty deep at WR. But I do really like Bailey.

I agree that a slot WR is low on the needs list. And also agree that a tall WR is more of a need than any position on defense. The #2 WR position is really the only starting position that's open at this point.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The male version of the Holiday Season is in full bloom with the playoff and Super Bowl games, and the upcoming NFL Draft. Here is my first stab at the Big 100 Board, which will increase, as always, as time passes. My goal is to have a Big 150 board before the Combine and a Big 200 right after.

This Big Board is NOT A MOCK DRAFT. Sorry for having to put in bold for the vets who know how this works. Mock drafts are silly beyond the first handful of picks, since trading is a major part of the whole process. In fact, more than 1/3 of all picks will be traded, so it is better to project an area where a player might be selected, rather than an exact team at an exact spot, which is like plowing the sea. In a perfect world, I would hit on all players at all slots, like Chris Culliver at number 80 two years ago. That is not my goal, but rather a projected area where the player should fall.

With that disclaimer, as OTC will surely put on his postings, here is the Big 100. If my Excel Spreadsheet has played tricks on me, and you see Matt Barkley playing center for Rutgers, please let me know. That would obviously be hilarious...and inaccurate. I strive to spell correctly, so please help. The list of Jonathans, Johnthans, Johnathans still has my head spinning.

Finally, please add feedback, as I may be insane to leave off a favorite player or two. I will explain my rationale. Cheers.

1 Luke Joeckel Texas A&M OT
2 Jarvis Jones Georgia OLB
3 Star Lotulelei Utah DT
4 Geno Smith West Virginia QB
5 Sheldon Richardson Missouri DT
6 Bjoern Werner Florida St DE/OLB
7 Dee Milliner Alabama CB
8 Eric Fisher Central Michigan OT
9 Dion Jordan Oregon DE/OLB
10 Lane Johnson Oklahoma OT
11 Chance Warmack Alabama G
12 Sharrif Floyd Florida DT
13 Barkevious Mingo LSU OLB
14 Ezekiel Ansah BYU DE/OLB
15 Keenan Allen Cal WR
16 Johnathan Hankins Ohio St DT
17 Johnthan Banks Mississippi St CB
18 Kenny Vaccaro Texas S
19 Jesse Williams Alabama DT
20 Jonathan Cooper North Carolina G
21 Xavier Rhodes Florida St CB
22 Datone Jones UCLA DE
23 Alex Okafor Texas DE
24 Alec Ogletree Georgia LB
25 Matt Elam Florida S
26 Desmond Trufant Washington CB
27 Damontre Moore Texas A&M DE
28 Mike Glennon NC State QB
29 Eddie Lacy Alabama RB
30 Zach Ertz Stanford TE
31 DJ Fluker Alabama OT
32 Tyler Eifert Notre Dame TE
33 Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee WR
34 EJ Manuel Florida St QB
35 Tyler Wilson Arkansas QB
36 Kawann Short Purdue DT
37 DeAndre Hopkins Clemson WR
38 Matt Barkley USC QB
39 Sam Montgomery LSU DE/OLB
40 Jordan Poyer Oregon St CB
41 Markus Wheaton Oregon St WR
42 Giovani Bernard North Carolina RB
43 John Jenkins Georgia DT
44 Quinton Patton Louisiana Tech WR
45 David Amerson NC State CB
46 Kevin Minter LSU LB
47 Manti Te'o Notre Dame LB
48 Tavon Austin West Virginia WR
49 Robert Woods USC WR
50 Eric Reid LSU S
51 Sylvester Williams North Carolina DT
52 Phillip Thomas Fresno State S
53 David Quessenberry San Jose St G/OT
54 Stepfan Taylor Stanford RB
55 Jonathan Cyprien Florida International S
56 Vance McDonald Rice TE
57 Larry Warford Kentucky G
58 Khaseem Greene Rutgers LB
59 Aaron Dobson Marshall WR
60 Terrance Williams Baylor WR
61 Arthur Brown Kansas St LB
62 Travis Kelce Cincinnati TE
63 Robert Alford Southeastern Louisiana CB
64 Brandon Williams Missouri Southern St DT
65 Akeem Spence Illinois DT
66 Leon McFaddon San Diego St CB
67 Marquise Goodwin Texas WR
68 Landry Jones Oklahoma QB
69 Christine Michael Texas A&M RB
70 Barrett Jones Alabama C/G
71 Andre Ellington Clemson RB
72 Montee Ball Wisconsin RB
73 Tyler Bray Tennessee QB
74 Logan Ryan Rutgers CB
75 Travis Frederick Wisconsin C/G
76 Justin Hunter Tennessee WR
77 Margus Hunt SMU DE
78 David Bakhtiari Colorado OT
79 Ryan Nassib Syracuse QB
80 Oday Aboushi Syracuse G/OT
81 Malliciah Goodman Clemson DE
82 Jonathan Franklin UCLA RB
83 Joseph Randle Oklahoma State RB
84 Da'Rick Rogers Tennessee Tech WR
85 Zavier Gooden Missouri LB
86 Tavarres King Georgia WR
87 Mike Gilleslee Florida RB
88 Terron Armstead Arkansas Pine Bluff OT
89 Sio Moore Connecticut LB
90 BW Webb William and Mary CB
91 JJ Wilcox Georgia Southern S
92 TJ McDonald USC S
93 Cornelius Washington Georgia DE/OLB
94 Chris Faulk LSU OT
95 Kyle Long Oregon G/OT
96 Dion Sims Michigan St TE
97 Kevin Reddick North Carolina LB
98 Brian Schwenke Cal C
99 Jordan Mills Louisiana Tech OT
100 Bacarri Rambo Georgia S

Based on this list, there is some SERIOUS value between the mid second and and third round. This kind of validates an idea I had. I think the Niners should take a page from the Patriots book and trade down from their 1st for extra value. If they could get two 2nd rounders, plus extra picks this year and/or next year, they could probably still get the same players I'm hoping they'll target. Plus, if they got extra picks this year, they could use the extra ammo to move up from their late 2nd and get a higher rated player that fell out of the 1st.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Okay I'll be the one to ask: Do you have Te'o slipping due to his scandal/publicity, or purely due to football and what you see transpiring throughout the process? I think this is the first time I've seen him not in the 10-20 range.

I think he was overrated before as a prospect by the common fan, and thought that Ogletree would be drafted before him. Now, I think we will see further separation. With Middle Linebackers, a team is looking for a leader. I think it would be a challenge for him to assume a leadership position based on his ridiculous adventure in lying or naivity.

I think you'll be surprised. You could be absolutely right about Ogletree vs Te'o from a football perspective, but I think Te'o is going to come out looking fine in all this, and I think teams will still love him in interviews.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Using this list a projected first three rounds for the niners would be interesting:
Tyler Eifert TE
Brandon Williams DT/NT/DE
Bacarri Rambo S

I did have a question. It appears that Ezekiel Ansah was revealed at the Senior Bowl to be a raw project at best. Any reasons to continue to have him at #14?
Thanks MD
Ansah looked terrible early in the week in practice. However, I think the game revealed the tremendous upside to his game, with the burst and explosiveness to close on RB's and QB's. With a projected fantastic combine soon, I believe he will be drafted earlier than I would select him, Got a feeeling some coach will look at the upside and say, "I can fix that."
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'm surprised Geno Smith is so high on all the boards. Dude struggled for the last half of the year. I saw him play three times, and honestly he played like s**t. He struggled passing the ball... I guess its because of his potential

Agreed that he struggled in the latter portion of the year, However, in a QB needy league, someone has to emerge as a first rounder, and none of the guys distinguished themselves this week. So, right now, by default, he is the leading candidate.
How does his speed/athleticism compare to Alex Smith?

Faster and more athletic, although Smith is underrated in these areas.

Originally posted by buck:
You have Donte Jones at 22 and Damontre Moore at 27.

That just seems too low for Moore.

It is that a mistake?
I know I am in the minority, but I project a very slow 40 time with Moore, and I think the other DE/OLB's will look better at the combine, dropping him a bit. Just a hunch. Jones was a monster during Senior Bowl week and can fit in any defense,
MD, you're on your own this year. I had no choice but to take a year off from this stuff. Way too much going on, so while I have tidbits of info I could provide on certain players, I'm just not going to be able to do what I have been doing. I most likely will not do any mocks this year.

Good luck, MD.
MD, surprised you still see Brandon Williams so low. With the week he had at the SR. Bowl, plus his size and the position he plays, you don't think he'll be in higher demand? Especially with NO (and possibly ATL switching to a 3-4), Indy new to the system, SF and PIT needing a new NT, and SD, WA, and a few others needing an upgrade at the position.
Damontre Moore not in the top 20?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Damontre Moore not in the top 20?

He addressed that question 3 posts ago.
Share 49ersWebzone