LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 440 users in the forums

Senior Bowl Practices on NFL Network

For all you draftniks, the NFL Network is broadcasting the Senior Bowl practices live all this week. So far, it was very interesting watching the D line pass rushing drills. The one person who has stood out was Datone Jones DE from UCLA. Supposedly, he measured out at 6'4" 280 lbs without an ounce of fat on him. He obviously has the frame to add a few more pounds a la Justin Smith when he came out of Missouri. He looked very quick and looks like a great potential addition to the Niners defensive line.

Anyone else watching and anyone who stands out in your eyes..........
I'm going to the live practice friday night from 9pm to 11:30 for the south squad, I would go to others but I'll be at work
m brockalexander, CB's Poyer(Oregon St) and Trufant(Washington) also looked good in the coverage drills portion of the practice. OT Fisher(Central Michigan) looked very good. As you stated I liked Datone Jones(UCLA) burst of the edge.
Was very displeased that I left the house and forgot to record this. Oh well... only missed an hour, I think. Tomorrow is supposed to be 3 hours.. I think.

Who was it that mentioned Datone Jones first? Oh wait... that was me! Awesome!

( pats self on back )
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Was very displeased that I left the house and forgot to record this. Oh well... only missed an hour, I think. Tomorrow is supposed to be 3 hours.. I think.

( pats self on back )

We bow to your awesomeness!
Huge write up magically disappeared, so I am officially pissed at my IPad. Will drop installments to ensure something posted.

Have not read any write ups from websites, but this is what I saw from the North practice. QB's off target, especially on deep balls. Not great ball placement on shorter routes. Sloppy first day. Glennon is a stick.

Best WR: Goodwin of Texas. Runs like the wind, different speed than other players on the field. Got behind defenders repeatedly. Runner up, Marshall's Dobson, who is smooth and fast for a 6'2" WR. Looked studly. The Elon kid, Mallette, looked like he was running in quicksand.

Best OL is Eric Fisher, almost a guaranteed top ten pick. He was dominant. Tall, long, smooth, made it look easy. Awesome performance. Second place goes to SJSU's Quessenberry, who also looked like he was ready for an NFL roster. Tall, looked great inside and outside. Knee bender, who stoned his oppenents repeatedly. Made himself a LOT of money today. Third place was Kent State G Brian Winters, who was roasted once, and then took control. Strong, with a good base. Tossed B. Williams to the ground on one play. Guy is a bad a$$. On the flip side, Kyle Long looked lost on the outside and inside. Might get drafted based on potential, but today was ugly. Thorton of Illinois was even worse, routinely destroyed by defenders. Braxston Cave of Notre Dame was a turnstile. All three of these guys were a mess.

On the DL, two studs stand out. Alex Okafor of Texas is a man, and reminds me a lot of Brian Orakpo. Can run around or through OT's. Dominant performance. His matchup with Fisher will be awesome the next couple of days. Second place goes to UCLA's Jones, who is a bigger version of Okafor, and just as effective. Not sure he can stack on another 15 pounds of weight, since he already rocked out at 280, but what a big, smooth player. Ran around, thirough, and spun around numerous helpless OL. Looked impressive. Margus Hunt is a project. Too skinny to play the 34 DE right now. He is a tall 43 DE, so scratch him off the list Niners fans. Not going to happen. Mixed results in one on one drills. Lacked the strength to run through guys, and lacked the speed to go around. Hunt appeared to be more of a third round prospect than first round. Michael Buchanon of Illinois appears to be the best 34 athlete in the batch. Long, quick, and impressive. He will be a starter somewhere. Probable second rounder from what I saw today. The three interior DT's with size took turns destroying the guards and centers. B. Williams is pretty smooth for a big guy and had one sweet spin move to get to the QB. Blew up Long in 11 on 11 drills. Good first day, but I am not so sure he is a 34 NT. I didnt see the raw strength of a BJ Raji, and other previous Senior Bowl NT prospects. The same story goes for S. Williams, who was better than expected from my perspective. And, Kawann Short was the smoothest and quickest of the interior defenders. Looks like a solid 43 undertackle.

At CB, two guys with quick feet stand out, Poyer and Trufant. Both recover so quickly, that they are right in the WR's shadow. Poyer is more of a cover corner, while Trufant is more physical. Both look like second rounders at this point. I really liked what I saw from Jonathan Cyprien of FIU.. For a safety, especially a SS,, he was solid in coverage against WR's with good range, change of direction, closing speed.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM ]

( pats self on back )

Guy sounds like he would be a great fit on the 49ers!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
We bow to your awesomeness!

Hahaha!!! no need for all a that! A simple works every time!

Originally posted by tohara3:
Guy sounds like he would be a great fit on the 49ers!

Definitely adds a legit option for us to fill that much needed spot of heir apparent to Justin.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Huge write up magically disappeared, so I am officially pissed at my IPad. Will drop installments to ensure something posted.

Have not read any write ups from websites, but this is what I saw from the North practice. QB's off target, especially on deep balls. Not great ball placement on shorter routes. Sloppy first day. Glennon is a stick.

Best WR: Goodwin of Texas. Runs like the wind, different speed than other players on the field. Got behind defenders repeatedly. Runner up, Marshall's Dobson, who is smooth and fast for a 6'2" WR. Looked study. The Elon kid, Mallette, looked like he was running in quicksand.

Best OL is Eric Fisher, almost a guaranteed top ten pick. He was dominant. Tall, long, smooth, made it look easy. Awesome performance. Second place goes to SJSU's Quessenberry, who also looked like he was ready for an NFL roster. Tall, looked great inside and outside. Knee bender, who stoned his oppenents repeatedly. Made himself a LOT of money today. Third place was Kent State G Brian Winters, who was roasted once, and then took control. Strong, with a good base. Tossed B. Williams to the ground on one play. Guy is a bad a$$. On the flip side, Kyle Long looked lost on the outside and inside. Might get drafted based on potential, but today was ugly. Thorton of Illinois was even worse, routinely destroyed by defenders. Braxston Cave of Notre Dame was a turnstile. All three of these guys were a mess.

On the DL, two studs stand out. Alex Okafor of Texas is a man, and reminds me a lot of Brian Orakpo. Can run around or through OT's. Dominant performance. His matchup with Fisher will be awesome the next couple of days. Second place goes to UCLA's Jones, who is a bigger version of Okafor, and just as effective. Not sure he can stack on another 15 pounds of weight, since he already rocked out at 280, but what a big, smooth player. Ran around, thirough, and spun around numerous helpless OL. Looked impressive. Margus Hunt is a project. Too skinny to play the 34 DE right now. He is a tall 43 DE, so scratch him off the list Niners fans. Not going to happen. Mixed results in one on one drills. Lacked the strength to run through guys, and lacked the speed to go around. Hunt appeared to be more of a third round prospect than first round. Michael Buchanon of Illinois appears to be the best 34 athlete in the batch. Long, quick, and impressive. He will be a starter somewhere. Probable second rounder from what I saw today. The three interior DT's with size took turns destroying the guards and centers. B. Williams is pretty smooth for a big guy and had one sweet spin move to get to the QB. Blew up Long in 11 on 11 drills. Good first day, but I am not so sure he is a 34 NT. I didnt see the raw strength of a BJ Raji, and other previous Senior Bowl NT prospects. The same story goes for S. Williams, who was better than expected from my perspective. And, Kawann Short was the smoothest and quickest of the interior defenders. Looks like a solid 43 undertackle.

You are dead on with the O line analysis. Fisher dominated everyone they threw at hime with ease. Quessenberry looked really good as well. He definitely outplayed the more hightly touted Justin Pugh who looked lost out there. The kid from Kent State has a real mean streak. Can he play C?
Who shined guys? I missed today, and will tomorrow, my dad is having surgery for his stint in his wrist for dialysis.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You are dead on with the O line analysis. Fisher dominated everyone they threw at hime with ease. Quessenberry looked really good as well. He definitely outplayed the more hightly touted Justin Pugh who looked lost out there. The kid from Kent State has a real mean streak. Can he play C?

Winters is transitioning to guard, but he has the squatiness to play center. Pugh has to move inside with 31 1/2 inch arms. Lost a lot of money todsy
Hahaha!!! no need for all a that! A simple works every time!

Indeed! But it was so funny that I read your comments earlier today and then saw this thread! Always good to have validation...even on and by the zone.
Goodwin could certainly fit in well along with additions of Kaepernick and James. Just pure speed and explosiveness, I know he returned kicks, if he could return punts, he'd be an ideal replacement for Ginn.

Chris Harper weighed in less than expected but he's got some nice big oven mitts for catching the ball with.

Mike Glennon needs to do nothing but lift weights and eat everything in sight until the draft, strong beanpole is strong.

Tyler Wilson has them Alex Smith hands.

As a physical specimen, EJ Manuel is pretty impressive, 6'4", 237 and huge hands to boot.

Jonathan Franklin is actually bigger than expected.

Ryan Otten weighs less than Delanie Walker but is about 5 inches taller, not good.

Mychal Rivera doesn't have the hype of Jordan Reed but is a similar player and has some nice physical traits as well, very nice big hands.

Jordan Poyer could stand to add some more weight.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM ]
Who are the best options for 3/4 DE and NT?
Originally posted by Butter:
Who are the best options for 3/4 DE and NT?

3/4 DE-Datone Jones

NT-Jonathan Jenkins/Brandon Williams
Share 49ersWebzone