LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 371 users in the forums

Forty niners 2013 Compensatory Picks

I'm not sure if there is room for 9 players on our roster, let alone 14. If we could get 5 picks in the first 3 rounds I would be pumped. We could then move back in the later rounds or what have you and stock up a few for next year. What would Alex's value be????
Our 2nd 3rd rounder (pick 74) isn't a compensatory pick...it came in a trade last year w/Carolina. Per Matt Maiocco's article in CSN Bay Area I just read, we could end up with a 3rd rd compensatory pick, as well (for a total of 3 in that rd). If Baalke works a trade w/Alex Smith, he could gain at least another pick. Given the fact only a few rookies made the team last year, it makes all the sense in the world to use picks to trade up to get blue-chippers. Let's say Baalke starts out w/15 or so picks (assuming Alex is traded for one)...he then parlays enough of them to move up in various rds to get significantly better players than he'd get by staying in the #31 spot. If he comes out of the draft with 5-6 blue-chippers, it's a very successful draft not only because of the talent level but those drafted would have a much better chance to make the roster.
Originally posted by suckafree17:
I'm not sure if there is room for 9 players on our roster, let alone 14. If we could get 5 picks in the first 3 rounds I would be pumped. We could then move back in the later rounds or what have you and stock up a few for next year. What would Alex's value be????

I agree. I think drafting more than 8-9 players in this draft would be a waste of picks. We should either use our surplus picks to trade for future picks or package them with our original picks to move up in that same round (or do both).
[ Edited by EezyNiner on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM ]
There is plenty of room on the roster. There have been threads made about how many open roster spaces we have. By most counts, we probably have about 30-35 locks to make next seasons's roster. That leaves 18 open spots. Of course that doesn't include our free agents, but we won't be bringing them all back anyway.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There is plenty of room on the roster. There have been threads made about how many open roster spaces we have. By most counts, we probably have about 30-35 locks to make next seasons's roster. That leaves 18 open spots. Of course that doesn't include our free agents, but we won't be bringing them all back anyway.

This. I'm shocked when I hear 49ers fans proclaim that there aren't "enough roster spots" for a bunch of rookies this year. I'd expect that from the national media or fans of other teams who simply don't know any better. This team should have room for about 8-10 rookies to make this roster.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. I'm shocked when I hear 49ers fans proclaim that there aren't "enough roster spots" for a bunch of rookies this year. I'd expect that from the national media or fans of other teams who simply don't know any better. This team should have room for about 8-10 rookies to make this roster.

I agree that 8-10 rookies can make the roster. While we may be able to find space for up to 19, that would basically mean that our last 2 drafts bubble players were awful, especially last year. 8-10 would leave room for some existing players to shine. But since we will have something in the neighborhood of 15, we will have to consolidate picks or trade some away for future years.
when do they announce the compensatory draft picks?
Originally posted by fryet:
I agree that 8-10 rookies can make the roster. While we may be able to find space for up to 19, that would basically mean that our last 2 drafts bubble players were awful, especially last year. 8-10 would leave room for some existing players to shine. But since we will have something in the neighborhood of 15, we will have to consolidate picks or trade some away for future years.

I would expect some rookies to not make the team, as is common in previous years, I would expect some picks to get traded for picks next year, and I also expect this team to add 2 or 3 lower-tier free agents, ultimately I think 8-10 is right on, considering that this team will be looking for depth, not starters, so a rookie replacement for Larry Grant, a rookie replacement for Tramaine Brock, for Ginn, Moss...etc..etc.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Usually about a month before the draft, near the end of March.
I say we trade up for more talent, if we have 13 to 14 draft picks we have picks to work with.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Usually about a month before the draft, near the end of March.

Barrows said this morning it was 14. He said it as though it was fact, not just speculating. The only thing he speculated on was possible pick(s) for Smith. Weird because i havent heard an official announcement
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM ]
Definitely would be very happy if one of those compensation picks was a 3rd. It would represent a chance to get 5 starting caliber players in the first 3 rounds. And no, I don't want to trade up unless we're only using the Day 3 picks to do so.
Only negative of compensation picks is you can't trade them. So the Niners will be stuck with 2 7th rounders that will likely be practice squad fodder (or even worse Slowey/Rojo type picks).
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Announced tomorrow at league meeting
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
Announced tomorrow at league meeting

Thank you.
Share 49ersWebzone