LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Optimistic Pre-Senior Bowl Mock

Offseason

Cut
Parys Haralson Sorry buddy. We've got younger, cheaper guys to back up OLB.
Jonathin Goodwin Helps save money to pay Goldson.
David Akers For obvious reasons.
Alex Smith We could end up trading him, but I'm not going to project that into my mock. Any pick we get in return is a bonus.

Re-sign
Dashon Goldson. No brainer.
Ricky Jean-Francois. Takes over NT position from the departing Sopoaga.

FA Signings
Fred Davis TE Washington. I want a 2nd TE who opposing teams have to actually game plan around. Delaine Walker's hands are just too inconsistent to be that guy.
FA Kicker. There's a number of good ones available this offseason. Let's grab one of them.
Jason Campbell QB Chicago One of the best backups in the NFL. Plus Harbaugh can squeeze the most out of any QB.
Some Vet Guard Depth and experience.

2013 Draft

I tend to be overly optomistic with who will be available at a certain pick. I can't really help it, but I did my best to make it as realistic as I could lol.

Trades:
1. Trade 2nd rounder for 4th and 6th round picks and 2014 2nd round pick
2. Trade 2 6th round picks for mid 5th round pick
3. Trade 2013 and 2014 7th round picks for 6th round pick

1st Round

Sharrif Floyd JR DT Florida

There's a new Sheriff in Town! A lot of people on this board seem to want a big NT; either Jesse Williams or John Jenkins. Here's a stat for these people: Heading into the Seattle game, Sopoaga had played a total of 29.4% of the defensive snaps (Sorry I can't find fully updated numbers). Fact is we just don't use our nose tackle all that much and it just isn't as important to our D as the two DE positions. He'll learn under Smith and McDonald and then become our enforcer on the D-line.

2nd Round (Trade #1)

3rd Round (from Carolina)

Stedman Bailey JR WR West Virginia

I know this guy plays in a wide open stat-inflating system, but this guy put up some absolutely sick numbers and I see some Steve Smith in him when I turn on the film (youtube highlights).

3rd Round

D.J. Swearinger SR SS/FS South Carolina

Can be our 3rd Safety and back up both Whitner and Goldson. Plus he just seems like he would be amazing on special teams with his aggressive style of play.

3rd Round (Compensation Pick)

Jamie Collins SR OLB Southern Miss.

Has been the lone bright spot in a completely forgettable season for Southern Miss. Is raw, but very athletic and found a home this year as a 3-4 OLB.

4th Round (From Trade #1)

Khaled Holmes SR C USC

3 year starter has played both guard and center and looks like a solid player at the next level.

4th Round

Travis Kelce SR TE Cincinnati

Surprised he doesn't get more hype than he does. I think he's definitely going to be a late riser come draft time and most likely won't be available here but I would love to have him. I think he's a Heath Miller type TE in the NFL, offering great blocking and surprising catching ability.

5th Round (Trade #2)

Quanterus Smith SR OLB Western Kentucky

If he hadn't torn his ACL in his 2nd to last game he would've likely been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. With our bounty of picks and depth we can afford to take a flyer on Smith. If he isn't recovered in time for training camp we can always stash him on the PUP or IR. But if he can heal fully he can be a steal.

5th Round (from Indianapolis)

Kevin Reddick SR ILB North Carolina

A bit of a disappointment this year, he still has all the physical tools to make it in the NFL and is an excellent blitzer. He replaces Grant as the understudy behind the best ILB tandem in the NFL.

5th Round

Tyrann Mathieu JR CB LSU

Major character concerns, but if he gets his act together he is one of the most talented CB's in the draft. He has the perfect skill set for covering those mall shifty slot receivers which is something we've struggled with on D.

6th Round (from Miami)

Brad Sorensen SR QB Southern Utah

Moved up into a tougher conference this year and his numbers were down from 2011 as a result but he still has prototypical size and arm strength you look for. Will compete with Tolzien for the 3rd QB spot.

6th Round (Trade #3)

Marquess Wilson JR WR Washington St.

We all know the deal with this guy. Boom or bust but in this stage of the draft I'll take it.

7th Round

Montori Hughes SR DT Tennessee-Martin

Kicked off of Tennessee for academic issues. Hey it's better than being kicked off for drugs or misconduct. You can't teach size and Hughes definitely has that.

7th Round (Compensation Pick)

Miguel Maysonet SR RB Stony Brook

If you like heartwarming stories, you can get behind this pick. Plus he looks like a solid RB prospect with an NFL skill-set.

7th Round (Compensation Pick)

John Wetzel SR OT Boston College

He's big. (6'8" 300). He goes to a college known for producing quality NFL linemen. That's about all I know. Could be a good practice squad/developmental guy.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Jan 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM ]
Mods please delete this thread. Double posted for some reason...
lol @ Jason campbell is one of the best backup-qbs in the League.
Originally posted by communist:

Can you name 5 who are better?
Love the swearinger pick. Don't like your first. I don't think theyre not running a NT because the don't to. I don't think he has the endurance to plsy more than 50% of the snaps. He's not a pass rusher and we can stop the run without him and generate pressure. If we had a dominant 3-4 NT he b would get many more snaps than sopo and he would add so much more pressure than a DE backup. That's why I like Jenkins at one.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Love the swearinger pick. Don't like your first. I don't think theyre not running a NT because the don't to. I don't think he has the endurance to plsy more than 50% of the snaps. He's not a pass rusher and we can stop the run without him and generate pressure. If we had a dominant 3-4 NT he b would get many more snaps than sopo and he would add so much more pressure than a DE backup. That's why I like Jenkins at one.

Why would you trade your second round for a next years second round that will probably be a later pick?
What do you mean?
Sorry I went full retard for a second.
Thanks for the work! I don't know much about a lot of the playes you've chosen AND it'll give me some targets to look at.

Agree with your cuts BUT I'd also list Delaine Walker. He'll probably get picked up in FA anyway.

I think Alex will get traded out of the conference. BUT that's probably wishful thinking.

Love the Floydd pick. He's mean SOB & reminds me of JPP from the Giants. Don't know if he'll be as good but he reminds me of him.

Since we don't know who the BPA will be, I personally draft for need. With that said IMO we need DLine future impact players. Justin will be coming off an operation and will be one year older. I like you've kept RJF. I'm NOT impressed with Dobbs or Tukafu [sp].

So I'd go NT in the 2nd and anothe DLine guy with one of the 3rd.

Admittedly, I don't know as much as you or many of the people in the Zone about college prospects, just a few of them. But I feel I know what our needs will be. NT, DE, WR the BIG fast variety, CB - Carlos is slipping, OLine depth.

I like Sorrensen but I feel we'll need to get him in the 5th. Searinger would be an excellent pick up. I wouldn't draft 2 OLB with our DLine needs. In fact I wouldn't draft any. We still have 2 untested guys from last year's draft. Also totally agree about BC linemen. Maybe your last pick could be a steal.

Thanks again for work.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by communist:

Can you name 5 who are better?

There arent 5 real good backups in the NFL but Jason Campbell certainly isnt one. I would rather go with Tolzien
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
There arent 5 real good backups in the NFL but Jason Campbell certainly isnt one. I would rather go with Tolzien

Me to, Tolzien is got to be better than Campbell.

But thank you for the Mock draft. Thank you for the center. I wanted to see a true NT as well I don't see Francois as a number 1 player I see him strictly as a backup.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Offseason

Re-sign
Dashon Goldson. No brainer.
Ricky Jean-Francois. Takes over NT position from the departing Sopoaga.

RJF is not a starter. He's a bench player that is good at spelling the starters. Having him start would ruin the defense. Our version of 3-4 demands special players at the LOS.

This, anyone that thinks RJF is a legit starter at this level is out of their mind. I do agree with another poster, that if this team had a better NT, that he'd probably get a lot more snaps. Someone like Jesse Williams is ideal for what this team likes to do. I don't know that I see Floyd transitioning to the 3-4 DE that well, especially as a replacement for Justin Smith. Whoever replaces Justin Smith has to be strong both as a pass rusher and at stopping the run, the next pass rush move he develops will be his first. He'll be a good 4-3 DT definitely.
Im all on board for Floyd in the first round. Dude is gonna be awesome.
Thank GOD you are not our GM.

Trades: 1. Trade 2nd rounder for 4th and 6th round picks and 2014 2nd round pick
2. Trade 2 6th round picks for mid 5th round pick
3. Trade 2013 and 2014 7th round picks for 6th round pick

Trade 1- This makes zero sense?? The Niners are a top team, they need higher draft picks to uipgrade their roster. This draft is lacking franchise player talent, but is deep at solid player status. A top 62 pick is key. A 4th and a 6th and a second next year makes no sense, points wise or what the team is trying to do.

Trade 2- this makes sense.

Trade 3- nah, take a flyer on two players, one might pan out.
Sorry man...I don't like most of this.

The trades that net nothng in a draft where we already have a ton of pics, going with only RJF at nose, Campbell as back up, paying for starting quality TE then drafting one too, not that high on Bailey either.. I would be bummed if it went down like this....
Don't agree with all the picks, but those are some damn good pictures. Action packed.

Love the Kelce pick and the Swearinger pick.
Share 49ersWebzone