There are 184 users in the forums

DJ Swearinger

He plays FS but clearly he should be at SS cause dude takes what he wants. This was all on the same drive. None of these penalties would've been called in the NFL so thats not anything to worry about. If he dropped to the Caro 3rd he would be a freaking steal.

Originally posted by eonblue:
He plays FS but clearly he should be at SS cause dude takes what he wants. This was all on the same drive. None of these penalties would've been called in the NFL so thats not anything to worry about. If he dropped to the Caro 3rd he would be a freaking steal.

All of those penalties would have been called. You're not allowed to horse collar, and I've seen Dashon get called for the same hit as penalty #2 and he would have been fined like Crabtree and Gore were for throwing the ball in the stands.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
All of those penalties would have been called. You're not allowed to horse collar, and I've seen Dashon get called for the same hit as penalty #2 and he would have been fined like Crabtree and Gore were for throwing the ball in the stands.

I disagree.

1) The 1st would have been called, for sure.

2) I think the WR had more than enough time/steps to defend himself after the catch.

3) Gore and Crab weren't penalized; they were fined like you said, but the OP mentioned penalties, not fines.

About the player, I've never seen him before, but he looks good in the clip. I like the size, speed, hitting and hands. Obviously, guys look good in highlights.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

I disagree.

1) The 1st would have been called, for sure.

2) I think the WR had more than enough time/steps to defend himself after the catch.

3) Gore and Crab weren't penalized; they were fined like you said, but the OP mentioned penalties, not fines.

About the player, I've never seen him before, but he looks good in the clip. I like the size, speed, hitting and hands. Obviously, guys look good in highlights.

Did Swearinger supplant Culliver at Safety and thats why Cully played corner his final year? Or was Cully a corner first and safety second? I already forgot cause he has been so incredible for us.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Did Swearinger supplant Culliver at Safety and thats why Cully played corner his final year? Or was Cully a corner first and safety second? I already forgot cause he has been so incredible for us.

Idk but I was watching him in man to man coverage and I think he could be a really good CB too. We coukd transition him through the slot and move culliver to full time.

How is he not a top 5 safety? take him in the 2nd bc he won't last in the 3rd
We're drafting Swearinger. If we don't, I'll change my tag to YungMargus
Although listed as a FS, I see him more as a SS. He runs a 4.63 and thats slow for a FS. I'd much rather draft Eric Reid who runs a 4.49 40. Donte is already slow, adding Swearinger would be the kiss of death.

We can worry about drafting a SS next year. Pass.
I think we're going to pick him in the 2nd.
I think Swearinger will be just fine as a FS. He has great versatility having played CB, NCB, and both S spots. His instincts will make up for any "lackluster" range that a 40 time of 4.6 indicates. His vertical, reps, cone and shuttle times were all better than that of Goldson's. 2nd round pick... let's do that, Baalke.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I think Swearinger will be just fine as a FS. He has great versatility having played CB, NCB, and both S spots. His instincts will make up for any "lackluster" range that a 40 time of 4.6 indicates. His vertical, reps, cone and shuttle times were all better than that of Goldson's. 2nd round pick... let's do that, Baalke.
Agree. I think Swearinger will be just fine at FS. A combo of him and Eric Reid or Josh Evans would be good for the 49ers.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pete98146:
Although listed as a FS, I see him more as a SS. He runs a 4.63 and thats slow for a FS. I'd much rather draft Eric Reid who runs a 4.49 40. Donte is already slow, adding Swearinger would be the kiss of death.

We can worry about drafting a SS next year. Pass.

For what's its worth, Goldson ran 4.69 at his NFL Combine so Swearinger is actually a quick faster at this stage of his career. Like Goldson, his college tape is better than his Combine numbers. He would be fine at FS and a great pick if the 49ers could get him at the end of the 2nd round.
I would love DJ Swearinger in red and gold. He is a Goldson clone.
Of all the youtube clips of safety's that I watched, Swearinger was my favorite. The only thing is that he is listed at 5-10 1/2. so we would likely have the same coverae issues that we will should we take Matt Elam. I would really prefer a taller guy, but you don't pass on playmakers, as long as it's at the right spot I would be o board.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM ]
Wouldn't mind him as a strong safety. Too slow for my liking as a FS.
Share 49ersWebzone