LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Dennis Johnson-RB-Arkansas

Here's another RB that could be available between rounds 4 and 6 and has developed into a fairly nice back. He split carries with Knile Davis at Arkansas but as the season went on, he drew more and more of the carries, averaging over 5 yards per carry for the season. While scouts rave about the potential of Davis, Johnson is the one who has delivered this season and in general. He's a solid physical runner that doesn't shy away from contact and uses the same vision, quickness and agility that makes him a very good kick returner, to make defenders miss.

Pros

Solidly built, goes about 5'9" and 215, wide base and very sturdy

Very decisive, does not do ballet or the tango, goes straight north-south and hits the hole fast when he sees it.

Difficult to take down, he keeps his legs moving, bounces off of contact, drives forward to get another few yards.

Especially tremendous inside runner, finds the hole, explodes and has the balance, vision and agility to make defenders miss at the second level.

Solid blocker, maintains his balance and leverage, a three down back.

Very good receiver out of the backfield, has soft hands and an ability to separate from coverage

Very versatile, not only was he a RB at Arkansas, he was also a very good kick returner as well.

Cons

Injury issues have plagued him at times, there were also questions about his ability to play with minor injuries early on in his college career.

Lacks top end speed, more quick than fast. Would expect his 40 time to be anywhere from 4.55 to 4.65

Struggles to get to the outside on runs at times.

Needs to improve concentration as a receiver, is a natural playmaker but lacks consistency at times.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM ]
Sounds like a winner could be good value we can put him on special teams for a few years bcause with this spread option we run now(dont like it)will kwep gore fresh and prolong his career
Here are some highlights of his performances, the hit he lays on the defender in the first video is especially ridiculous.

Being from Arkansas I love the idea.of DJ going to my niners. He's really strong and quick. kniles davis.kinda fell out of favor last season but he wasnt performing. This let Johnson take the spotlight and he didnt dissappoi. I think we should spend.our second 4th.kn either Davis or Johnson.
  • titan
  • Veteran
He runs like Michael Turner. He has a strong lower body's making him very difficult to take down. While we are on the Razorback, how about Coby Hamilton! That guy us a beast, he reminds me so much of Andre Johnson. I know he will be gone when our pick comes around, but just incase some freak thing happens and he is available I would snag him.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Being from Arkansas I love the idea.of DJ going to my niners. He's really strong and quick. kniles davis.kinda fell out of favor last season but he wasnt performing. This let Johnson take the spotlight and he didnt dissappoi. I think we should spend.our second 4th.kn either Davis or Johnson.

I wouldn't mind dropping the late third on Johnson. I like his ability to run inside which complements LMJ's outside running, additionally he's a good receiver out of the backfield to boot. Very impressed by him, love the fact that he's extremely decisive and goes straight for the hole as soon as it opens up, there's not a lot of wasted movement on his part.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I wouldn't mind dropping the late third on Johnson. I like his ability to run inside which complements LMJ's outside running, additionally he's a good receiver out of the backfield to boot. Very impressed by him, love the fact that he's extremely decisive and goes straight for the hole as soon as it opens up, there's not a lot of wasted movement on his part.

Yea he doesn't spend time waiting for things to open up. That's what got him the start. David would wait things to open up and when the didn't he would get a TFL. Johnson can power though those small holes. I think he will b around the 4th that's why I would pick him there. That's a good observation on his inside runs complimenting LMJ outside runs. Nasty combo.
Originally posted by titan:
He runs like Michael Turner. He has a strong lower body's making him very difficult to take down. While we are on the Razorback, how about Coby Hamilton! That guy us a beast, he reminds me so much of Andre Johnson. I know he will be gone when our pick comes around, but just incase some freak thing happens and he is available I would snag him.

I love the idea of Cobu Hamilton with our Caro pick in the 3rd. This guy carried Ar at times this season. He has the best hands. He would get double teamed and hit hard after.the catch and still drag it . This guys a warriors. We need a WR in the first 3 rounds and if w don't take terrence will in the first or trade up in second to get him i say w grab Hamilton in the 3rd.
Johnson is a good player. He's a tough runner. I like Hamilton though
Looking at the pros, he sounds exactly like gore except the kick returner part. Should be interesting to see if trent is looking for a true heir to gore

Share 49ersWebzone