LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

quarterback prospects in round 3 area

I like Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones did not figure out how to properly read a D the entire time he was at OU.
I would be fine with just bringing back Josh Johnson
  • titan
  • Veteran
^ Johnson has no value. He didn't make the team. If we can get a steal in the late Rds and developed them maybe we can trade or keep our roster competitive. I'm just not a fan of reverting back to players that didn't work out, but know the system.I know sometimes we have too for continuity reasons, but once Harbaugh develops this team we will be deep of our roster.
The team needs a vet backup in case Kaep gets hurt. Not a rookie. I would like someone like Hasselbeck who could come in and win a few games if they need him to.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by sachie23:
The team needs a vet backup in case Kaep gets hurt. Not a rookie. I would like someone like Hasselbeck who could come in and win a few games if they need him to.

Tolzien isn't a rookie, and I'd rather have him than Hasselbeck. I think its time we stopped with the washed up veterans and finally develop some QB's. Developing a young QB can get you two things, high draft picks or a championship. Washed up veterans give you false hope.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
For better or worse Tolzien is an established backup. While I would love to get any one of a handful of QBs in the draft it just makes zero sense to not have an established veteran presence at QB.

Josh Johnson would've made the team except for 1 thing, Tolzien is a better film rat -- he is always hungry about knowledge and practice. Whether it was just posturing by Harbaugh or not, who knows, but it is what is our there and we have to trust it. It's far more likely for us to bring in a veteran then to draft another project.

Here is the list of QBs currently on a roster or out of the league that will be free agents.

Brian Hoyer – ARI
Luke McCown – ATL
Joe Flacco – BAL
Tarvaris Jackson – BUF
Tyler Thigpen – BUF
Derek Anderson – CAR
Jason Campbell – CHI
Josh McCown – CHI
Bruce Gradkowski – CIN
Drew Stanton – IND
Brady Quinn – KC
Pat Devlin – MIA –
Matt Moore – MIA
Chase Daniel – NO
David Carr – NYG
Matt Leinart – OAK
Charlie Batch – PIT
Byron Leftwich – PIT
Kellen Clemens – STL
Rex Grossman – WAS
Vince Young – FA
Sage Rosenfels – FA
Seneca Wallace – FA
Donovan McNabb – FA
A.J. Feeley – FA
Troy Smith – FA
Chris Redman – FA
John Beck – FA
Stephen McGee – FA
Jordan Palmer – FA
J.P. Loseman – FA

The only players worth pursuing that are out of the league are Seneca Wallace and Vince Young, one of them is an old Russel Wilson and one has baggage so expect us to go after a QB who is still currently in the league such as the following.

Tavaris Jackson
Jason Campbell
Brady Quinn
Matt Moore
even Matt Leinart

All of them have 6+ years of experience and are if nothing more capable game managers. If they're hungry then Harbaugh wont have issue signing them no matter there past.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
^^^Holy s**t that is a crap list, the only guy I would want from there is Matt Moore. 9ers pursued him in the off-season but he chose to re-sign with Miami.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
^^^Holy s**t that is a crap list, the only guy I would want from there is Matt Moore. 9ers pursued him in the off-season but he chose to re-sign with Miami.

lol, 75% of them should be out of the NFL next year
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

lol, 75% of them should be out of the NFL next year

Yep the 5 I listed plus Drew Stanton are probably the only ones who will be stirring up any kind of interest.
Klein from KSU reminds me of Kaep. Had a bad bowl game but Lynch from Northern Illinois too.

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Are people seriously saying Tolzien is a proven backup? He hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, he's an unknown right now. It's a good sign when Harbaugh endorses you, but let's not jump the gun quite yet.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DVDA:
Are people seriously saying Tolzien is a proven backup? He hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, he's an unknown right now. It's a good sign when Harbaugh endorses you, but let's not jump the gun quite yet.

I used the word established not proven. Tolzien beat Josh Johnson out and "established" himself as a viable alternative to Kaepernick and/or Alex.
Klein is not as fast, accurate or good as Kap...which makes him a great backup draft pick.

I also like Gradkowski or Stephen McGhee to have a shot at camp.

BTW, Russell Wilson is 2x better than Seneca Wallace ever was.
Tolzien isn't a rookie, and I'd rather have him than Hasselbeck. I think its time we stopped with the washed up veterans and finally develop some QB's. Developing a young QB can get you two things, high draft picks or a championship. Washed up veterans give you false hope.
by my standards, tolzien is indeed a rookie because he hasnt played a single regular season game yet.
furthermore, difference between a rookie and and a real vet is experience which cant be taught.
having said that, i would also prefer tolzien over hasselbeck. but would like a career-backup like seneca wallace if still available over tolzien.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by DVDA:

I used the word established not proven. Tolzien beat Josh Johnson out and "established" himself as a viable alternative to Kaepernick and/or Alex.

Colin Kaepernick has established himself as a viable alternative to Alex Smith. Tolzien has "established" himself as a third quarterback who has never taken a snap in a regular season game. He has done nothing to prove(establish) himself as a viable alternative to anyone at this point in his career.
Share 49ersWebzone