LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 354 users in the forums

Quinton Patton-WR-Lousiana Tech

I'm sold. It's too easy to assume that Manningham is here for the long haul. As far as I'm concerned you have to assume he is gone after next season because nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. While I do think the offense needs to be a continued point of emphasis in the draft, I am wary of putting too much focus on one side of the ball. That said, if this guy is available in round 2 I think we take him. The Niners have explosive ability in our backs of the future. Nothing is going to be more deadly that Hunter or James working down field if we have willing and able blockers like Crabs and a guy like Patton, especially if Patton is also a high level receiver, which he seems to be. I agree he has a similar skill set to Crabs but it doesn't seem as if he's not capable of beating a defense over the top. In fact it seems as if he's quite good at it. You don't need to have DeSean Jackson speed to be a deep threat. Look at guys like Hakeem Nicks who is cited as having a high 40 time of 4.42 and a combine time of 4.62. Patton looks smooth and effortless getting separation and going after the ball. Maybe not a dominant #1 but high-level contributor potential in this guy. Worth a late 2 easily.
I still see this guy as a perfect #2 opposite Crabtree and a potential #1 WR in case Crabtree for whatever didn't stay long-term. There have been comparisons made to Reggie Wayne and he had an outstanding Senior Bowl. I haven't seen anything to make me believe he won't be an outstanding player in the NFL, tough as nails, overachiever and then some, fantastic route runner, great hands, I don't know that I could be any bigger a fan of Patton's overall game and his future potential.
He is slowly checking off all of the check marks. Productive career? Yes. Solid Senior Bowl? For sure. Step 3 is the combine. Final step is the campus workout. To me, he looks like a mid-high second rounder.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He is slowly checking off all of the check marks. Productive career? Yes. Solid Senior Bowl? For sure. Step 3 is the combine. Final step is the campus workout. To me, he looks like a mid-high second rounder.

Yes, he's definitely moved up, I wouldn't be too upset to see the 49ers take him in the late 2nd round, or even move up a few picks for him. I've been following him for awhile, think he's got all the potential, ability and character traits to be a very good receiver in the NFL.
He has nice size too. Tough year to figure out how all these quality 2nd round WR's will fall.
I'm even more in on this bandwagon if possible.

Apparently I'm not the only one.

http://ninernoise.com/2013/02/09/49ers-may-target-wide-receiver-quinton-patton-in-2013-nfl-draft/

If the Niners get a good front seven player at the tail end of the first and pickup someone like Patton in the second would be a good start to the draft.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Impressive, guy looks like Marvin Harrison clone
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
If the Niners get a good front seven player at the tail end of the first and pickup someone like Patton in the second would be a good start to the draft.

That would be an impressive combo they need for the future, if they pick the right guys
Originally posted by jimrat:
Impressive, guy looks like Marvin Harrison clone

I think this is a good comparison, in that both are silky smooth receivers.

I think this is a good comparison, in that both are silky smooth receivers.

That's the thing, he isn't super fast or overly athletic but he's just smooth, he moves into his cuts seamlessly, looks graceful as hell running a route, its a thing of beauty.

Better yet is his character, he's a team leader, by all accounts, a great guy off the field, active in charities, very hardworking, always looking to improve. He wouldn;t be the first guy lacking in elite speed, size and athletic ability to nonetheless become an elite WR in the NFL.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I only want WR's that are at least 6'3".

I said the same about QB's before we drafted CK and it worked out well.
Good player. Wouldn't oppose picking him. I like a lot of the receivers in this year's crop. Cobi Hamilton is another.
The fate of many of my fellow draft forum zoners if Baalke doesn't draft a big WR...

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The fate of many of my fellow draft forum zoners if Baalke doesn't draft a big WR...

LOL.......you would think that any WR in the NFL that isn't 6'3" or taller is absolute s**t judging by the reactions of some of the people here.

Share 49ersWebzone