LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 205 users in the forums

Quinton Patton-WR-Lousiana Tech

Had to make a thread about this guy, will be updating this regularly over the next few months. As much as I was on the Fleener bandwagon last year, I'm far far more so with Patton. Totally amazed by this guy, think he's going to end up being a very outstanding NFL receiver and will end up as the best overall WR coming out of this draft after all is said and done. He's got amazing tools, top notch work ethic, total team player, ability to get separation, plays with intelligence and can make some big flashy catches aa Brandon Lloyd. He doesn't have elite top-end speed and hopefully that drops him far enough for the 49ers to have a shot at him. He's got everything you could possibly want in a WR and has true #1 WR potential. He loves to play physical, is not only a willing run-blocker but an enthusiastic run blocker, loves contact, has great yards after the catch ability, can be absolutely lethal on slants. Just a tremendous, tremendous prospect. I don't think this guy can just be a good NFL receiver, from everything I've seen, I believe this guy could end up as a truly elite NFL receiver, Top 5 potential.

One of the most well-rounded players at his position, Patton brings a special combination of on-field skill mixed with a strong off-field work ethic. This hardworking attitude is evidenced by his steady progression from a middle-of-the-road high school recruit to a possible early-round NFL draft pick.After two stellar seasons at the junior college level, Patton chose to attend Louisiana Tech over offers from a number of other FBS schools. You can bet there is a long list of coaches kicking themselves for missing out on this guy now. Measuring in at 6'2" and 195 pounds, this Tennessee native not only possesses great hands and shifty footwork, he also regularly lays down blocks that any hard-hitting fullback would be proud of.The energy that Patton brings to the field in undeniable. Even with his solid measurables, his best football quality may in fact be something as simple the attitude with which he approaches the game. The man simply never seems to take a play off. Even on hand-offs that are headed to the opposite side of the field, you always seem to be able to find the Bulldog's number four somewhere in the mix.An offensive coach looking for a no-nonsense, high energy receiver should pay close attention to this Louisiana Tech standout. He is a unique player who brings a real passion for the game with him every time he walks out of the tunnel. It has been a long road for the young man, but I think it is safe to say that Quinton Patton is finally NFL-ready.

http://voices.yahoo.com/nfl-prospect-louisiana-tech-wr-quinton-patton-11795995.html?cat=14

Here's a scouting profile on him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250

Grade 73.8 ?
6'2" Height195LBS. Weight Overview Louisiana Tech surprised many across the country in 2011, winning seven straight games in October and November and the Western Athletic Conference title – the first time they wore that crown since 2001. The Bulldogs lost a close 31-24 game to TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl, but during broadcast, it came to light that Patton and teammate Adrien Cole gave up the $300 Best Buy certificates awarded to them in their bowl swag to kids participating in the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Add that sort of character to his talent makes scouts very intrigued with his potential as an NFL playmaker and locker room presence.

Patton won first-team all-conference accolades in his first year in Ruston (which is located in north central Louisiana) after catching 79 passes for 1,202 yards and 11 scores. His efforts against San Jose State (five catches, 116 yards, one touchdown) and Nevada (7-162, TD) were instrumental in the Bulldogs' winning their league championship. It was no surprise Patton contributed right away, as several FBS programs had interest in his services coming out of Coffeyville Community College. Not only was he an all-conference receiver as a redshirt sophomore there in 2010 (687 receiving yards, four TD), but he also received honors as a punter (39.8 yards per attempt).

Analysis Strengths Good size for the position, has the height and length to play outside at the next level. Very good quickness off the line, gets to speed in a couple of steps and can shimmy to free himself and stick his foot in the ground to get inside position on slants. Uses a head fake to get the seam and possesses enough straight-line speed to take advantage of hesitating cornerbacks in off coverage. Stems to separate with good foot quickness on comebacks and out routes, also extends his arm to create space on short and deep routes. Catches the ball with his hands away from his body, even when tracking passes over either shoulder. Wins jump balls in the end zone and over the middle with good vertical and great concentration. Good sideline awareness to get two feet in-bounds while making the catch. Used on quick throws to take advantage of his shiftiness and surprisingly tough running, lowers his shoulder and is not easy for smaller cornerbacks to drag down after the catch. Sells routes where he knows he's not the primary target to free up the underneath or cross-field receiver. Shows fight as a run blocker, willing to hit multiple punches to keep his man at bay and works himself into the correct blocking angle. Hustles downfield to help out fellow ballcarriers. Plays with a feisty attitude.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM ]
This isn't really all that good of a compilation but it does give you an idea of his quickness, ability to separate...etc

Just look at his game vs. SEC power Texas A&M.

21 catches
233 yards
4 TDs

In one game.
Sounds like a jerry rice type player. Would love a player like that. I.ll keep my eyes on him bcause we definately need another receiver. If ww could find another te aeound 6'6 that can catch and be a decent blocker a srong rb like mike gellislee I think hes from florida man what an offense
Nice looking player. Problem is that we already have that type of player in Crabs don't we?

I'd still rather cut Walker and get a TE that could be like Brent Jones. I think that would add more to our O than another wr at this point.

I guess I'm banking on what Trent said about Jenkins and that he will be our stud wr next year or the year after.

Dunno
He looks like a great talent but I agree with rk1642. We already have a couple of 4.50 guys in Crabtree and Manningham. I don't see Patton getting enough separation. CBs in the NFL are just a step faster which means this kid would have to constantly use his body instead of speed to get open.

I think we need a speedy receiver. Still not sure what he have in Jenkins but that would be the direction in which I'd be drafting.

Is this kid big enough to add weight and play TE?

I'm thinking we need a Tavon Austin type of player. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM ]
Originally posted by rk1642:
Nice looking player. Problem is that we already have that type of player in Crabs don't we?

I'd still rather cut Walker and get a TE that could be like Brent Jones. I think that would add more to our O than another wr at this point.

I guess I'm banking on what Trent said about Jenkins and that he will be our stud wr next year or the year after.

Dunno

Were that the case, would you really be too upset with having two Crabtree's getting open and making plays after the catch with Jenkins streaking deep downfield?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Were that the case, would you really be too upset with having two Crabtree's getting open and making plays after the catch with Jenkins streaking deep downfield?

Much rather have Crabs/Manningam/Jenkins and another burner. Plus looks like Austin can return kick offs and punts. Goodbye Teddy Ginn....
The difference is all of you wanting Austin would have to take him in the first round. There seems to be a lot of wide receiver depth in the middle rounds, so if we can address other needs in rounds 1-2 and pick up a receiver like Patton, Rogers, Marquess Wilson, Dobson, Jordan Matthews, etc. in the 3rd, that'd be my preference to taking Austin in the 1st.
If 49ers can get a Victor Cruz type WR and a Brent Jones type TE in the upcoming draft. I will be god damn happy. Imagine what Kaep can do with these two weapons?

49ers also need to draft a NT and DE to eventually take over. I'm not sure if Hunter can come back and be the same player. Can Hunter be an everydown back? It will be interesting once the draft comes around.
[ Edited by sacleads on Dec 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM ]

Originally posted by pete98146:
Much rather have Crabs/Manningam/Jenkins and another burner. Plus looks like Austin can return kick offs and punts. Goodbye Teddy Ginn....

So you replace the old Ted Ginn with the new Ted Ginn. Not all that impressed by Austin to be honest and he's definitely going to cost either a late 1st rounder or early-mid 2nd rounder. Patton is a far more complete receiver, dedicated run-blocker, quick to beat the press off the line, dangerous on slants and the ability to rack up yards after the catch is great too as you've only got so many solid-tackling defensive backs in the NFL.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by mkary12:
The difference is all of you wanting Austin would have to take him in the first round. There seems to be a lot of wide receiver depth in the middle rounds, so if we can address other needs in rounds 1-2 and pick up a receiver like Patton, Rogers, Marquess Wilson, Dobson, Jordan Matthews, etc. in the 3rd, that'd be my preference to taking Austin in the 1st.

No way taking Austin in the first round. I would take him in the 3rd tho! After watching Welker and Amendola I'm down with drafting a "waterbug" type receiver.
No way taking Austin in the first round. I would take him in the 3rd tho! After watching Welker and Amendola I'm down with drafting a "waterbug" type receiver.

The interesting thing is that those "waterbugs" you mentioned, were both undrafted, that goes for Cruz too.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So you replace the old Ted Ginn with the new Ted Ginn. Not all that impressed by Austin to be honest and he's definitely going to cost either a late 1st rounder or early-mid 2nd rounder. Patton is a far more complete receiver, dedicated run-blocker, quick to beat the press off the line, dangerous on slants and the ability to rack up yards after the catch is great too as you've only got so many solid-tackling defensive backs in the NFL.

Sorry Phoenix, I don't see the love for Patton. I see him more in the Mohamed Sanu/Alshon Jeffery mold. If Austin goes high, I'd settle for Marquess Wilson out of WSU. If he can go to the right team with a lot of veteran leadership, he'd be worth the risk. Guess we'll agree to disagree....
Sorry Phoenix, I don't see the love for Patton. I see him more in the Mohamed Sanu/Alshon Jeffery mold. If Austin goes high, I'd settle for Marquess Wilson out of WSU. If he can go to the right team with a lot of veteran leadership, he'd be worth the risk. Guess we'll agree to disagree....

Not at all. Patton's got a lot better quickness than either of those guys, much more refined, finds ways to get separation against pretty much anyone.
Share 49ersWebzone