LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2013 Mock Draft v1.0

Very early mock draft but I've got some players I'm already interested in and would like to see the 49ers pursue. Yes this is a Pac-12 heavy draft..and no it wasn't intentional. :P

Round 1-Jonathan Jenkins-NT-Georgia-I saw this in AB's mock and I really like this guy as well. I don't see Soap coming back after this season so NT will be an important selection, either find a guy as an immediate starter or as potential depth. Jenkins has the potential and the size to be a tremendous quality NT in the NFL. I've been impressed by him a lot although at this point I'm starting to feel as if he'll be drafted well before the 49ers get on the board.

Alternate Pick-Alex Okafor-DE-Texas-This would be the ultimate depth pick as this guy is a tremendous pass rusher and would be the solution to depth at OLB, having Okafor would allow for a true OLB rotation that would be both effective and pretty devastating to other teams.

Round 2-Desmond Trufant-CB-Washington-Comes from a football family, very polished, has good speed, size, agility, strength, has stepped his game up, would make for a potential starter right alongside Culliver for the long-term.

Alternate Pick-TJ McDonald-SS-USC-I love the thought of this pick, the son of former 49er great Tim McDonald playing for the same team as his father. McDonald seems to be perfectly suited to playing for this team, he's aggressive, a hard-hitter, intelligent, far better in pass coverage than the guy he replaced at USC who shall remain unnamed. I think this would be a wonderful pick for the 49ers if they could land McDonald and would go a long way towards shoring up the safety position long-term because as much as I like Whitner, his pass coverage has been atrocious at times.

Round 3-Shayne Skov-ILB-Stanford-Very good quality depth, good team guy, knows Harbaugh quite well already, can play ILB or OLB, good pass-rusher, solid tackler, this pick would be assuming that Larry Grant is gone. Skov could be utilized in a variety of roles, much as was done with him at Stanford.

Alternate Pick-Kwame Geathers-NT-Georgia-Another Georgia NT that can be a possibility if the 49ers miss out on the first wave. He's got tremendous physical size and would be a solid potential replacement for Soap. He'd be a handful for offensive lines to deal with and strengthen this team's already impressive abilities at stopping the run.

Round 3-Joseph Fauria-TE-UCLA-If Delanie Walker is gone, Fauria will provide a massive redzone target for Kaepernick. Fauria's more of the traditional type of TE that can find open spots in the zone and be a true safety outlet for a young QB. I like this guy, he's got tremendous physical size, is a solid blocker and is fantastic in the red-zone. Having a 6'7 target running around causing havoc would do wonders for this offense.

Alternate Pick-Quinton Patton-WR-Louisiana Tech-Don't ask me what it is but this guy throws off that Terrell Owens vibe. He seems destined to become an elite receiver, he has good size, not extremely fast but very quick and agile, great hands, can generate yards after the catch and is an all-around complete WR.

Round 4-Baker Steinkuhler-DE-Nebraska-Very good, almost prototypical size for a 3-4 DE. Fairly raw and would need some time to develop but he's got good pass rush skills and strength, perfect guy to be a rotational player and develop as an eventual replacement for Justin Smith down the road.

Round 5-Eric Gordon-CB-Tennessee-Undersized corner that would be perfect with dealing with speedier slot receivers. Quick and agile, he would be a good prospect to develop as the 49ers build up their secondary of the future.

Round 5-Sam Schwartzstein-C-Stanford-Very good in both the run and passing game, he'd make for good depth backing up Kilgore at center.

Round 6-Jeff Braun-OG/OT-West Virginia-Solid pass protector could provide depth at either guard or tackle in the NFL.

Round 6-Colin Klein-QB-Kansas State-Two Colin's don't make a right but Klein would is a QB with nice size who would be a good developmental prospect with Tolzien backing up Kaepernick.

Round 7-Brett Maher-K-Nebraska-I'd much rather have Dustin Hopkins instead but its unlikely that he'll still be available at this point.

Round 7-Dan Giordano-DE/OLB-Cincinnatti-More depth at OLB leading to a preseason competition between all the different OLB prospects.
Enjoyed reading this ! Thanks ! LOVE these Mock drafts keep them coming .
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I wouldn't want anyone from that Georgia d-line, they were horrible against the run. Being big and fat as well as playing in the SEC doesn't instantly make you good. Joseph Fauria looks like he has randy moss' legs, no thank you. Colin Klein would be a waste of a pick, he's a runner, not a passer. Tim Tebow is better than that guy...
  • bors
  • Veteran
like your mocks man,i was with you last year on the fleener train
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Never will like Klein's prospects in the NFL. He is a white Kaepernick with Tebows throwing motion -- rather spend a developmental pick on a QB with more promise like Nick Florence, Seth Doege, or Ryan Nassib.

IMHO even with out AS I would comfortable with us only having CK and the Lord-God-King as our QBs but I know Harbaugh would never be able to do that, he'll always want a QB to mold.

Great mock but now that Hunter has a torn ACL I think we might go back to draft for a day 3 RB, especially with Jacobs likely only here for 1 year and our current depth chart is as follows
Gore - he has a lot left in the tank so no issues here
Hunter - ACL injury could hurt his quickness but I am confident he will come back equal or better then before
Jacobs - likely 1 and done
Dixon - only here because of ST value, and I think we could find a better back that is as good or better on ST in the draft
Hampton - 2 torn ACLs and no track record

Bottom 3 will probably not be on this team next year, 3 straight years of drafting an RB under Harbuagh? I think it'll happen.
Originally posted by sfout:
Never will like Klein's prospects in the NFL. He is a white Kaepernick with Tebows throwing motion -- rather spend a developmental pick on a QB with more promise like Nick Florence, Seth Doege, or Ryan Nassib.

IMHO even with out AS I would comfortable with us only having CK and the Lord-God-King as our QBs but I know Harbaugh would never be able to do that, he'll always want a QB to mold.

Great mock but now that Hunter has a torn ACL I think we might go back to draft for a day 3 RB, especially with Jacobs likely only here for 1 year and our current depth chart is as follows
Hunter - ACL injury could hurt his quickness but I am confident he will come back equal or better then before
Dixon - only here because of ST value, and I think we could find a better back that is as good or better on ST in the draft

Bottom 3 will probably not be on this team next year, 3 straight years of drafting an RB under Harbuagh? I think it'll happen.

Jewel Hampton. I think the coaching staff likes him a lot but yes with all the extra picks, I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a flyer on a RB, especially a big, bruising type of back late in the draft. I didn't account for any possible comp picks the 49ers might get as well.

Jewel Hampton. I think the coaching staff likes him a lot but yes with all the extra picks, I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a flyer on a RB, especially a big, bruising type of back late in the draft. I didn't account for any possible comp picks the 49ers might get as well.
I really like this draft, I've wanted Jenkins in the first round for a while. Never really thought about Shayne Skov much but that's actually really interesting.

Not to nitpick on your late round picks but I don't think Giordano is athletic enough to be an OLB. I also really don't want to draft another developmental qb.

Other than that, most of your picks are guys that I like and see as potential targets for us
I really liked that you put in the "Alternative Picks."

a NT in the first, McDonald in the 2nd would be solid.
I don't know if Jenkins will be taken in the 1st unless he has a HUGE offseason with his workouts. The Georgia-Alabama game showed that he was pretty much subdued by Barrett Jones and the two other guards. Maybe just an off game, but I was expecting more.

I agree that NT is a need. Good thing this draft has a lot of them.

dam this is one hell of a draft! cant agree with you anymore on every single pick! good job man

I actually like colin klein in the later rounds. He would be a good 3rd string QB who can play the wildcat on some plays. I know kap can play the wildcat great but I don't think its smart to constantly put your starter QB in dangers way soo much
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I love your Mock, would absolutely love for that to happen. But chances of getting Jenkins is slim to none, not because he won't be there when we pick, but Tomsula said in his interview once that you don't need a 345 pound big man to play the nose. And judging by our pass choices at NT RJF, Sopoaga and Ian Williams who are all 320 pound men that can move, I think DT's like Jesse Williams, Brandon Williams, Everette Dawkins and Cory Grissom fit the bill.
I think when it comes to the NT position the coaching staff can.go to ways. Its.obvious we need a player at this spot if we let sop which i think we will and Jesse Williams would be a great replacement. He's not a pass rusher but he occupies.blocks and has been alot of the reason bama has been great on the line. He's the prototypical NG and we great.for anchoring the middle while our.ends terrorize the edges buuuut I like jenkins. He got a sack un the sec bowl and was a constant pressure in the.middle and always looked.on the.verge of.breaching.the pocket. Bamas line had.problems against him imo but other people dont agree. Fangio is s pass rush.guru and im salivating at the thought of having a pass.rushing Nose but it would change the dynamic of our d.
Share 49ersWebzone