LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Running back is now a need. who should we be looking at.

Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
talk about overreacting

brah.

Gore- Love him to death, but getting older/slower and adding more miles on him
Hunter- Possibly the best suited to be a full time starter. Will be coming off what appears to be a serious injury.
Jacobs- One year deal.
LMJ- His smaller size parallels that of Hunter, kid has potential. Uncertain if he can be a every down back.
Dixon- Has been a rare situational back, notably* a special teams player.

...and Hampton- great talent w/vision and burst who runs behind his pads and finishes runs like a bigger back. Only slipped because of injury concerns. Reminds me of a certain Tank we have on the roster (even if Himpton?)

I don't see this as a need at all next year. Jacobs out, Hampton in. If Hunter needs a year off, Lamike steps up. Donezo.
RB is not a need at the moment. Kendall should be back by next year, and at least be able to spell Gore along with LMJ. Worst case scenario, Jewel Hampton can be an emergency back who can share a few reps. Maybe a late rounder to learn on the PS.
That Hampton will impress a lot of people.
The NFL is going away from the every down back. Not sure why people are insisting that when Gore departs we have to have a single guy to carry the rock when most teams do it with 2 or 3. Hunter nor LMJ will be expected to take the kind of touches that Gore has over the years, and you dont draft highly in a position of strength just because you want a guy who can, especially when the production from that position more than likely wont be any worse for wear.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Late Round Running Back Prospects:

• Rex Burkhead- 5-11, 210 Nebraska
  • Cierre Wood- 6-0, 215 Notre Dame
  • Zac Stacy- 5-9, 210 Vanderbilt
  • Marcus Coker- 6-0, 230 Stony Brook
  • Johnathan Franklin- 5-10, 205 UCLA
  • Ray Graham- 5-9, 195 Pitt

I personally like Cierre Wood the best as he is the most complete back.
As for big, power backs, Marcus Coker and Rex Burkhead are good options late in the draft.

Franklin is not a late round prospect
Ginats just cut Joe Martinek(Rutgers) from practice squad...
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Ginats just cut Joe Martinek(Rutgers) from practice squad...

Yeah, they brought in Ryan Torain. Who is good enough to have one 1 good game, then he gets injured for the rest of the year (he is from ASU)

The next JUCO RB from ASU is going to be Marion Grice in the 2014 draft. He really turned it on in the 2nd half of the year and should be due for a big senior season
Marcus Lattimore throw him on IR and let him sit , heal up and learn for a year.

One can wish
we are fine! this is when harbaugh's 2nd rd choice becomes genius bc RBs get hurt all the time and we have a similar back with more potential coming in behind hunter...plus we have jacobs too. We will be alrite
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Late Round Running Back Prospects:

• Rex Burkhead- 5-11, 210 Nebraska
  • Cierre Wood- 6-0, 215 Notre Dame
  • Zac Stacy- 5-9, 210 Vanderbilt
  • Marcus Coker- 6-0, 230 Stony Brook
  • Johnathan Franklin- 5-10, 205 UCLA
  • Ray Graham- 5-9, 195 Pitt

I personally like Cierre Wood the best as he is the most complete back.
As for big, power backs, Marcus Coker and Rex Burkhead are good options late in the draft.

Franklin is not a late round prospect

yea franklin will probably be 4th or 3rd. he remains me alot of gore, very patient at looking for holes and burst thru them

We gave 4 good back and kap we have no need 4 another rb.kap will make up 4 the loss uv hunter. But the blocking will be missed.
K Hunter is the future, I love when he comes in to give Gore a breather, We have plenty of depth @ RB to make it through this season and playoffs.
RB is one of those positions we will always pick up a late round flyer, or URFA to add to the initial 80+. We have good depth, and the OP is defintely over reacting. We have many options going forward. Jacobs will not be expensive to keep, but is essentially Gore's backup, and Hampton backs them up.

Hunter is backed up by James as the change of pace guy, so it is time for James to get that chance.

This is Hunter's first injury since he became a regular feature for us - but Gore shows that the injuries picked up by Jacobs, Hampton, and Hunter at various times are nothing to worry about. It's about the having the heart for the fight - and the next few weeks may give an indication of who does have that heart. But if we have to rely on only 2 RBs for some weeks, there are worse things to concern ourself with.

So, yes, we will pick up other RBs in the close season - but as for the NFL in general it is not a position of extreme need.

In this age we would have got Gore even later than we did in his draft, as all RBs slide further than they should, for a variety of reasons.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Kenyon Barner.

Its Kenjon but thats besides the point. I think was Kiper/McShay or some other ESPN talking head but they said that if Barner compares to any RB in the NFL that the best comparison is Kendall Hunter lol.

Kenjon Barner
How many rb's can anybody name who came back from an achilles injury who returned to pre injury form.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Dont get it twisted folks, im not suggesting we burn a high pick on a back. i want hampton and lmj to succeed, i would love for hunter to come back and be as close to 100% as possible even though he still wouldn't be available until this time next year. Im HOPING the tear isn't a complete one. There was even a moment when i thought jh was telling a bold face lie. Hell, moving forward im hoping that the niners don't suffer anymore injuries to the back field this year or the next. Thats a lotta hope.

In the end i was just wanted some of the resident draft nicks opinions on this years rb stable.
Share 49ersWebzone