LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

2013 Defensive Line Prospects (DE, DT, and NT)

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You can count out Kawann Short falling to us, dude has six sacks for the year again. He kinda reminds me of BJ Raji, man we gotta get this kid.

Maybe we could trade up?

I'm gonna say Short is a projected top 15 pick which would be far outta our range. I know one thing is for sure we won't be picking 20-22 and even from there would be a lot to give up to get to 15.

Lets hope I'm wrong though, hes gonna be my draft pick crush this year.
Originally posted by PTulini:
You can count out Kawann Short falling to us, dude has six sacks for the year again. He kinda reminds me of BJ Raji, man we gotta get this kid.

Maybe we could trade up?

I'm gonna say Short is a projected top 15 pick which would be far outta our range. I know one thing is for sure we won't be picking 20-22 and even from there would be a lot to give up to get to 15.

Lets hope I'm wrong though, hes gonna be my draft pick crush this year.

We have some good picks and could do some manuvering. I wouldn't rule it out.

Very interesting to me that you say this. I too thought of B.J. Raji when I watched Short play. He's probably not as quick as Raji, but he's got a bit more anchor to him. I do not see him as ideal for a penetrating 3-4 DE so much as a NT, if we were looking to spend such a high pick on a replacement there.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Very interesting to me that you say this. I too thought of B.J. Raji when I watched Short play. He's probably not as quick as Raji, but he's got a bit more anchor to him. I do not see him as ideal for a penetrating 3-4 DE so much as a NT, if we were looking to spend such a high pick on a replacement there.

True Short isn't as quick as Raji, Raji has a good first step, but Short is very stout and relentless like Raji. I think Short is someone we wouldn't have to take out on Nickel downs like Sopoaga, hes a very good pass rusher too.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
True Short isn't as quick as Raji, Raji has a good first step, but Short is very stout and relentless like Raji. I think Short is someone we wouldn't have to take out on Nickel downs like Sopoaga, hes a very good pass rusher too.

That's a must for an early pick at nose tackle. The 49ers will be able to find a two down run stuffer like Sopoaga in the mid to late rounds if they need to. If they want to use an early pick on a nose tackle he needs to be a complete lineman. Guys like John Jenkins from Georgia aren't worth drafting until the mid rounds because they just don't bring enough to the table to be worth an early pick.
Originally posted by DVDA:

That's a must for an early pick at nose tackle. The 49ers will be able to find a two down run stuffer like Sopoaga in the mid to late rounds if they need to. If they want to use an early pick on a nose tackle he needs to be a complete lineman. Guys like John Jenkins from Georgia aren't worth drafting until the mid rounds because they just don't bring enough to the table to be worth an early pick.

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112612aab.html

Short, a first team selection by the coaches last season, was feted as such by both the coaches and the media this year. A native of East Chicago, Ind., short wrapped up his final regular season at Purdue with 42 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, six sacks, four PBUs, four blocked kicks, two fumbles recovered and one forced. He finished the regular season tied for fourth in the Big Ten in tackles for loss per game and tied for fifth in sacks. With a bowl game remaining to be played, Short is eighth all-time at Purdue in both career tackles for loss (48.0) and sacks (18.5).
Does anyone know about Will Sutton? What round is he projected to go in? I can't seem to find info about his draft stock anywhere. He's a bit undersized but would he be an option as a 3-4 DE?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mkary12:
Does anyone know about Will Sutton? What round is he projected to go in? I can't seem to find info about his draft stock anywhere. He's a bit undersized but would he be an option as a 3-4 DE?

SunDevilNiner - Resident ASU fan can tell you about him. From our discussions, Sutton is expected back at school but could very well be graded as top 45 pick and opt to declare. The impression from talking heads is he will go in round 2 at the worst if he declares.

ASU's head coach said he that while he is under the impression that Sutton is coming back to school he is prepared for him to leave if he hears good things from the Advisory board.

He's not undersized, he's you're average height for a DE and only 10 or 12 pounds lighter then Justin Smith. After year on an NFL diet and weight lifting program he'd be the same size.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Before we even get to the draft, I'd like the Niners to resign Sopo and Francois

then add a 3-4 DE type via the draft, I like S.Floyd, Florida with our first pick

Thats alot to invest in the DL, but i think its worth it

Let Dobbs and Tuku walk, not sure about Ian Williams

As we've seen with Justin Smith's recent injury, quality depth is a must! We currently don't have the depth we need.
Kawaan Short
His 14.5 tackles for loss jump out at you. This guy is really quick
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
Kawaan Short
His 14.5 tackles for loss jump out at you. This guy is really quick

Absolutely. If I'm not mistaken, he's also blocked several FGs?
He set a Purdue record with 7 blocks. Kawaan is really exciting to think about falling to us. Hes very mobile for his 315 pd frame and hes able.to move off blocks with his strength. This kid could play DT/DE and could remain ln the field for third downs. I would love him to be our first round if he makes it.
This draft is rich with pass rushing d line so i think theres a good chance we might get a suprise at the end of the first.
Originally posted by eonblue:
He set a Purdue record with 7 blocks. Kawaan is really exciting to think about falling to us. Hes very mobile for his 315 pd frame and hes able.to move off blocks with his strength. This kid could play DT/DE and could remain ln the field for third downs. I would love him to be our first round if he makes it.
This draft is rich with pass rushing d line so i think theres a good chance we might get a suprise at the end of the first.

With so many draft picks we could trade up to get him if necessary.
Share 49ersWebzone