LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Rogers, Culliver, Brown, and Cox are a pretty strong group and I doubt you use a first round pick here unless depth is really an issue. If they lose Goldson I think safety will be a primary concern. At OLB they have Fleming coming back healthy next year and may have Cam back as well.

Barring injury they will need either FAs or draft picks for: Safety, NT, and perhaps OL. If Goldson and Sopoaga stay and the OLine solidifies the team will be in the enviable situation to take BPA...for real!

dont trust 2 "rookies" coming back off of major injury....need to draft a kid around 3rd-5th round, remember Parys will probably be gone as well
Originally posted by jreff22:
dont trust 2 "rookies" coming back off of major injury....need to draft a kid around 3rd-5th round, remember Parys will probably be gone as well

Agreed, I am definitely on the mid round pick OLB bandwagon... like you said Parys could be gone (he might have to take a pay cut otherwise) and would have been nice to see Fleming and Johnson but like you said don't think we can trust them for possibly 3rd and 4th OLB. Who knows what they will offer next year... Bahktiari is a nice story but we need another guy who can bring pressure since Parys isn't really that guy anymore.

Not sure there is going to be an opening no matter how many are invited to camp, but I would never say no to a 3rd-5th at any position. Just not a 1st or 2nd.
Not sure there is going to be an opening no matter how many are invited to camp, but I would never say no to a 3rd-5th at any position. Just not a 1st or 2nd.

Agreed, ideally it would have been nice to have Fleming and Cam battle it out with Bakhtiari and seen who the best was and how good they were and to see if it warranted a pick next year. We really don't know what we will get from those 2 and Bakhtiari I don't know if he can hold up in the regular season but he will have to. We definitely need another sack guy... Parys is more of a run stopper than a pass rusher... he's a good 3 but would be nice to have another guy who can consistently get pressure.

Right now I would go...
1 DE
2 NT
3 OLB
4 ILB
5 RB
6 WR
7 OT
Right now I would go...
1 DE
2 NT
3 OLB
4 ILB
5 RB
6 WR
7 OT

Safety if Goldson leaves?
Right now I would go...
1 DE
2 NT
3 OLB
4 ILB
5 RB
6 WR
7 OT

IF he leaves FS is either 1st or 2nd. Assuming we have another good record, chances are we move up to the mid 2nd for the FS/SS we want.
Right now I would go...
1 DE
2 NT
3 OLB
4 ILB
5 RB
6 WR
7 OT

I would have it something like this

1. S(Goldson could be a goner, this team needs a legit centerfielder type safety.
2. NT-A huge need for any 3-4 team, they need some legitimate depth at this position.
3. CB(Rogers is getting older, Culliver and Brown look solid, but in a passing league, improvement absolutely can happen)]
4. A true 3-4 DE that can someday take over for Justin Smith, was hoping they would have snagged Kendall Reyes or Derek
Wolfe this past draft. (This made me kinda sad-> http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/47247/rookies-wolfe-and-reyes-opening-eyes

5. OLB-With Haralson a goner, this team is going to need some solid young pass-rushing talent in case Aldon or Brooks go down.
6. OT-This team literally has no depth at OT and a young guy to develop to possibly someday replace Staley would be nice.
7. RB-A big physical "masher" back to fit in with the Kendall Hunter/LMJ combination.
8. S-More safety depth is an absolute must.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM ]
Right now I would go...
1 DE
2 NT
3 OLB
4 ILB
5 RB
6 WR
7 OT

IF he leaves FS is either 1st or 2nd. Assuming we have another good record, chances are we move up to the mid 2nd for the FS/SS we want.

I guess it all depends on players falling to the niners pick, especially if they draft toward the bottom again, but I would expect them to look for a smart, solid safety to develop. They don't rely on rookies too often so they may be watching the FA market. Imagine if they had an Ed Reed type guy back there? That would be the cherry on top of a great defense.
Trade the 5-7 rounders to get in 4th round., keep all other picks, and go: CB/FS, OT, OG, and DL..

Right now I would go...
1 DE
2 NT
3 OLB
4 ILB
5 RB
6 WR
7 OT

I guess it all depends on players falling to the niners pick, especially if they draft toward the bottom again, but I would expect them to look for a smart, solid safety to develop. They don't rely on rookies too often so they may be watching the FA market. Imagine if they had an Ed Reed type guy back there? That would be the cherry on top of a great defense.

very possible we go into the FA market for a FS
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Simply, the 49ers can't afford to lose Soap. I think he'll be franchised immediately. There simply isn't a starter who can come in with his size, talent and strength to pull off NT. Then you're looking at

DE
OLB
C
WR
S
OT

I dont think we have an extra 7 mill to use on the tag
If I have the option of franchising Sopoaga or Goldson as much as I like Sopoaga I still go Goldson. I think RJF could do well enough and we would have Williams backing him up. Could always add someone in the draft. I think if we add another pass rushing OLB or two that would go along ways towards making RJF or Williams hold up. Maybe add a CB as well. Side note I get the feeling that since Sopoaga is a DL his franchise tag price would be higher than Goldson's 7.5 mil or whatever (20% increase). AB might know what it was for next year but according to CBS it was 8 this year. Probably will be more next year.

As for free agency IMO there really isn't anyone out there (besides a really old Ed Reed) who is better than Goldson. Lot of good SS out there but not many FS. I'm 100% in the bandwagon of going 1st round draft pick and not free agency to fill the spot if we don't re-sign/tag Goldson.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DB&y=2013
http://nfltraderumors.co/nfltr-features2013-nfl-free-agents/

Between those 2 lists that should be most of them. Jarius Byrd is the only one I see who might be close to Goldson. The rest are downgrades
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Simply, the 49ers can't afford to lose Soap. I think he'll be franchised immediately. There simply isn't a starter who can come in with his size, talent and strength to pull off NT. Then you're looking at

DE
OLB
C
WR
S
OT

I dont think we have an extra 7 mill to use on the tag

Agreed. I don't think tagging Sopo is likely at all. I have been pro-Sopo for a very long time, but I actually think RJF can close the gap after another season and make Sopo more expendable. I'd prefer to keep him, of course... but only at an affordable price. I think our defense would remain strong if we had RJF as starter and Ian Williams as backup... if it comes to that. Of course, RJF is a FA also.. so that's an issue to think about.
I'll leave that to Baalke and his brain trust. My focus is on the Packers.
Share 49ersWebzone