LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffery's Deceptive Speed

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nick, you have to get your facts straight about this guy. He was over 230 lbs and at some point last year, they thought he was closer to 250 lbs. He was less productive this past year and had more problems separating from defensive backs. This year, he didn't work out at the Combine but showed up at 216 lbs. He worked out about a month later, lost 3 more lbs and ran in the 4.5's in the 40. The questions still remain. Which guy are you going to get? The highly productive sophomore game breaker or overweight, slower junior. To me, that eliminates him from the first round.

Capital one bowl MVP. Only played 2 1/2 quarters and had 4 rec for 150 and a TD against the blackshirts. Yeah, terrible performance...

One good game that he got thrown out of. 39 less catches and 800 less yards over the course of the year. Was that because of the system or did he get lazy? It's a legit concern.

Well if you knew your facts you would know what happened with the QB situation and Lattimore getting injured. Jeffery was always a 230+ WR what happened last season was more because of Garcia and Shaw not getting the ball to any of the receivers than weight gain. Now hes in incredible shape runs a 4.4 4.5 at 6ft4 212 only proves the kids motivated to succeed. I kinda doubt hes there at 30 with the way he catches the ball. If he is I doubt we pass up a guy who is a mismatch and redzone threat. He just has to much natural ability and talent. Hes Brandon Marshall without the drama but has better hands imo.

Yes,I know the story of USC football last year. I still feel that this guy has enough questions surrounding him that I wouldn't want to take him in the first round. If Baalke decides that he is the guy and he becomes a good or great NFL wideout, I will gladly eat some serious crow at that point. As of right now, I still have my doubts.
Boons
He may be worth considering in the 2nd round but is way too big of a risk for the first round. I don't see how he is suddenly going to start getting better separation at the pro level. He will see himself getting jammed at the line on every play in the NFL without the acceleration to beat the CB deep and force him to back off.
Originally posted by walker807:
He may be worth considering in the 2nd round but is way too big of a risk for the first round. I don't see how he is suddenly going to start getting better separation at the pro level. He will see himself getting jammed at the line on every play in the NFL without the acceleration to beat the CB deep and force him to back off.

seperation or not he dominated SEC talent with a sub par qb and he faced constant double teams

against alabama he had 127 yards and 2 TD of 7 reception in soph year (decent qb production)

he looked a lot faster in the combine as well with good split and 10 yard drill (fast out of breaks)
I think Jeffery would be a steal at #30 i remember watching a few games and saying i hope we could get this guy. He dropped on boards kuz of speculative weight issues as long as he stays at 230 or lower he is fine. USC had alot of good talent its just there quarterback situation was really bad. which imo is the main reason his production dropped.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by walker807:

seperation or not he dominated SEC talent with a sub par qb and he faced constant double teams

against alabama he had 127 yards and 2 TD of 7 reception in soph year (decent qb production)

he looked a lot faster in the combine as well with good split and 10 yard drill (fast out of breaks)

His production is there but the huge dropoff from his sophmore to junior year has me wondering about his work ethic. That and I'm afraid that his belly may expand with his wallet, conditioning alone knocks him out of the first for me. If he is there in the 2nd then I think its worth a shot but not at #30 IMO
Draft him!!!
As the draft nears, I'm settling on Jeffrey. When he's slim, like he is now, he's a beast. Behind Blackmon and Floyd, I think he has the best chance at contributing early. I really like his game.
Not impressed with Mike Williams 2.0
Share 49ersWebzone