LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Potential Trade Partners

Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Miami if the Niners want to trade down.

Tennessee or San Diego if they want to move up.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Apr 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM ]
The problem is there aren't much people to trade up for except decastro and Floyd
Both should be gone by around 20
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by sfout:
probably why they've sucked since Jimmy Smith retired, you have to take a chance once in awhile.

well if they like stephen hill so much i dont think they will "ake a chance" on floyd

anyways i hope they do take hill and let floyd drop so we can trade up for him

lol would be nice :D
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for RKab.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
If anything, I actually believe there could be quite a bit of jockying in the mid-20's range this year. With that in mind, it could get interesting depending on which WR's and which O-lineman are available. I suspect a team like San Francisco, for instance, might be interested in jumping ahead of Baltimore to have their first choice at interior lineman available. San Francisco might also be wanting to jump ahead of Denver for a certain TE or Houston if they have a specific WR.

All speculation, of course.

The mid-late 20s look like a total mish-mosh this year. 24 - 31 are all 3-4 teams except Denver (who is likely looking for a big dlineman.) And it looks like a ton of 3-4 edge rushers will be available about that time.

I've been playing out some scenarios just goofing around to see what happens if Tannehill falls based nothing on his skillset, just past experience with the 2nd/3rd/4th QBs tending to fall in recent years (except last year) and last year having so many teams grabbing young QBs that drafting another young QB seems unlikely. If he gets past the Browns at 22, perhaps thats a big "if" but I'd expect all of those playoff teams to be fielding calls from Mia or KC or Seattle trying to move back into the end of the 1st round.

And based on what I've been reading and hearing, there really doesn't seem to be that big a difference between say pick 7 and pick 40 so moving down a little would make sense to me. Then again, I assume everyone will be trying to move down in this draft.
What is a reasonable trade-up scenario? I mean in case someone like De Castro or Barron slips (we could do with another safety, you know) towards the late teens early 20s? I don't mean trade value chart, I mean likely trade partners. Bengals and Browns at 21, 22 are possibles since these already have first rounders already. Perhaps even Cincy's 17th overall.

The calculator (and yes, I know they're silly) shows a roughly equivalent value of our 1st and 3rd to jump to 17. I really don't think that either of the players mentioned above would slip that far, but if they did I wouldn't mind at all pulling the trigger there.
If Decastro is available I would give up #30 and our 3rd rounder in a heartbeat.
I think the ultimate trade partner would be the Indianapolis Colts. If the Niners have 4 players they want on the board, they could trade with the Colts, only move down 3 spots, but get the first pick on day two. People will crucify me, but suppose the Colts really want Fleener to partner with Luck, they would want to jump the Giants who also want a TE, this causes a premium for the pick.

The Niners give up pick 30 for pick number 33- 40 points.

The Niners either get the top pick in the 5th round - 40 point value, or if the Niners have leverage, they simply swap their 4th round pick for the Colts 4th round pick, this is positive points to the Niners, and essentally another top 100 pick, but the Colts need bodies, so they would get the player they want and still have all of their picks, just in a different order.

Now the Niners have the benefit of all night and morning to evaluate players, say Weeden is on the Board, and Cleveland wants a QB, they could trade down 3 spots potentially picking up a 3rd or 4th round pick. (this is assuming players they target will be available at Clevelands second round pick.

The niner pick up two pick in the range of 105=115 slots and only move down 8 spots. They then can pacakage to move up into round 2 or round 3.
I honestly don't get all this "trade down" rationale. It's going to be tough for draftees to make the 53- much less the 46-man gameday squad as it is. What are we going to do with the extra picks? I think that we will either stay put and strictly draft BPA or, in case someone we fancy starts slipping, jump up to the early 20 or even late teens to nab him. That's why I've been wondering who are possible trade partners.

I also don't believe that Fleener will be there at 30. This is a copycat league and everybody wants the next Gronkowski. Not to mention that he's been so much connected with us as a possible pick (including the college connection), that I can easily see people trying to jump us to get him. Don't be shocked if you read his name next to the word "reach" in the reports afterwards.
[ Edited by paulk205 on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
The Jaguars want Stephen Hill, they've openly stated they want to move back but I know they'll "happily" settle for Michael Floyd lol.

I can see the Jaguars moving down, 5, 10, even 15+ spots. If the 49ers wanted/could move into the top 10, the Jaguars would be a perfect trading partner
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think the ultimate trade partner would be the Indianapolis Colts. If the Niners have 4 players they want on the board, they could trade with the Colts, only move down 3 spots, but get the first pick on day two. People will crucify me, but suppose the Colts really want Fleener to partner with Luck, they would want to jump the Giants who also want a TE, this causes a premium for the pick.

The Niners either get the top pick in the 5th round - 40 point value, or if the Niners have leverage, they simply swap their 4th round pick for the Colts 4th round pick, this is positive points to the Niners, and essentally another top 100 pick, but the Colts need bodies, so they would get the player they want and still have all of their picks, just in a different order.

Now the Niners have the benefit of all night and morning to evaluate players, say Weeden is on the Board, and Cleveland wants a QB, they could trade down 3 spots potentially picking up a 3rd or 4th round pick. (this is assuming players they target will be available at Clevelands second round pick.

The niner pick up two pick in the range of 105=115 slots and only move down 8 spots. They then can pacakage to move up into round 2 or round 3.

Getting Luck Konz would be the smarter pick

I say we trade up, Offering another first may not be such a big deal, if we move up the money won't be nearly the payout and we could get the player we want most hopefully.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I say we trade up, Offering another first may not be such a big deal, if we move up the money won't be nearly the payout and we could get the player we want most hopefully.

dont want to give up a first
philadelphia

Moving down 3 slots for extra picks is not an awful way to go.

The best way is find some desperate, stupid team like the Raiders to panic and want somebody bad at #30 (trade up for them back into round 1) and trade down out of the round for us. Giving us the Raiders 1st round pick next year. Maybe top 5 or 10. The Patriots do this every year it seems with the Raiders or some other silly team. You can get 2 first rounders every year. The Patriots do. You just have to find a dumb enough team to it with every year....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Moving down 3 slots for extra picks is not an awful way to go.

The best way is find some desperate, stupid team like the Raiders to panic and want somebody bad at #30 (trade up for them back into round 1) and trade down out of the round for us. Giving us the Raiders 1st round pick next year. Maybe top 5 or 10. The Patriots do this every year it seems with the Raiders or some other silly team. You can get 2 first rounders every year. The Patriots do. You just have to find a dumb enough team to it with every year....

Problem is, the Raiders aren't going to be that stupid anymore. Unless Al Davis is going to be channeled by his son from beyond the grave, they are going to start acting like a real NFL franchise for the first time in years. The Patriots are a candidate and the Bills, Browns, and Bengals all have around 10 picks this year. Can't wait................
Share 49ersWebzone