LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

would the salary cap weigh against niners taking a guard in round 1

that would give them 5 #1 picks on the oline, 2 of whom are guards...most teams dont commit so much money on the guard position
Originally posted by hofer36:
that would give them 5 #1 picks on the oline, 2 of whom are guards...most teams dont commit so much money on the guard position

Fine by me since we can't seem to get it right. Baas was 33, Chilo was 39 but they are gone... Staley, Davis, Iupati are the 1st rounders....
4 first roundersand also it wouldn't effect us that much financially because a guy at 30 isn't going to make that much money.
With the new Rookie cap rules it doesn't hurt a team as bad financially to pay guys drafted in the first round so I would not see this as a problem.
I actually think by drafting the olineman in the first is cheaper than say one or two big FA oline money. Guards are making almost as much as left tackles now. I think and hope the niners keep drafting olineman high, if they work out, sign them to a Staley type deal, if not, don't overpay, let them walk in FA and draft another the next year.
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
With the new Rookie cap rules it doesn't hurt a team as bad financially to pay guys drafted in the first round so I would not see this as a problem.

what do you do after you give iupati big $ on his next contract, and then you have to resign the guard you pick this year (zeitler, silotulo)..saints had same problem this year--they gave evans big $ and then ncks comes up for signing
[ Edited by hofer36 on Apr 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM ]
Definitely lass expensive than FA who command big $$
If we stay put at 30 and take say Zeitler or if Konz falls we are looking at a 4yr deal worth max of $9M, with $3.5M in bonus money based off of 2011 30th pick, Muhamed Wilkerson.

what do you do after you give iupati big $ on his next contract, and then you have to resign the guard you pick this year (zeitler, silotulo)..saints had same problem this year--they gave evans big $ and then ncks comes up for signing

what you do is worry about that when it happens. If you are worried about signing good players 2 or 3 years down the road you would never bring in anyone with potential. Lets worry about winning this year its not like we have a 5 year rebuilding plan right now.
Where have you been the last year and a half? The cost of rookie contracts is now slotted, at least at the beginning. If they make the right pick, then the big money won't be happening till about 3-4 years down the road.

Long term it definetily has an effect. When Davis and Iuapati both hit the market at the same time it's going to be hard to pay both of them. Once we give Iupati that huge contract it's going to be hard to extend our right guard especially if he's a premiere talent. See New Orleans with Evans and Nicks. You can't pay everyone, but this is a problem we won't see for awhile because rookie contracts aren't bad at all.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Long term it definetily has an effect. When Davis and Iuapati both hit the market at the same time it's going to be hard to pay both of them. Once we give Iupati that huge contract it's going to be hard to extend our right guard especially if he's a premiere talent. See New Orleans with Evans and Nicks. You can't pay everyone, but this is a problem we won't see for awhile because rookie contracts aren't bad at all.

Agreed. But I could also envision the Niners pulling a Joe Staley on Iupati after this year. If you know the guys is legit you give him very good, but not back breaking money before his time is up. I think thats the only way we'll keep a guy like Bowman and Iupati. If they hit the open market, forget about it.

I still can't believe that strategy worked with Staley and now he's a probowler.......I still trip off that.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Agreed. But I could also envision the Niners pulling a Joe Staley on Iupati after this year. If you know the guys is legit you give him very good, but not back breaking money before his time is up. I think thats the only way we'll keep a guy like Bowman and Iupati. If they hit the open market, forget about it.

I still can't believe that strategy worked with Staley and now he's a probowler.......I still trip off that.

Yeah if you address the issue early on it could help out alot.

what you do is worry about that when it happens. If you are worried about signing good players 2 or 3 years down the road you would never bring in anyone with potential. Lets worry about winning this year its not like we have a 5 year rebuilding plan right now.

guards are a dime of dozen though

ya if you have 2 probowl to all pro level guards that is rare and great but only pay 1 because finding another good to great G in the draft isnt hard to do at all
Share 49ersWebzone