LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 116 users in the forums

If you are so fixated on drafting Stephen Hill, why not take Tommy Streeter instead?

This is an honest question every "Hill Supporter" has to ask himself. Both guys are physical specimens (6-4 and 6-5) who ran 4.4 and sub 4.4 times at the combine. And both don't really know how to play the wide receiver position.

So instead of burning a first round pick on a project like Hill, aren't we better off burning a 3rd or 4th round pick on a project like Streeter?

** Tommy Streeter, WR, Miami
NFL.com Draft Grade - 71.0
Height - 6'5"
Weight - 219 lbs
Arm Length - 34 3/4"
Hands - 9 1/2"
40 time - 4.40
vertical - 33"
broad - 125"
3-cone - 7.08

OVERVIEW - Streeter started only one year at Miami. Has a very impressive frame and the speed to match, an will be capable of making splash plays for his team as a rookie in the NFL. Late third-round value with the opportunity to ascend.

STRENGTHS - Streeter has premier tools to immediately stretch the field for an NFL offense. Has an elongated gate and is very comfortable sticking his foot in the ground to go up and get the football. Has really come on strong of late in his ability to separate from defenders in short/intermediate routes.

WEAKNESSES - Streeter needs to develop the technical parts of his game to be able to demand consistent playing time on the outside. He false steps often at the snap and has a below-average burst off the line, and although he uses his length well to avoid press, could have issues once teams start to get in his face at the line of scrimmage. Runs sloppy routes and isn't definitive in his movements.

** Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
NFL.com Draft Grade - 74
Height - 6'4"
Weight - 215 lbs
Arm Length 33 3/8"
Hands - 9 3/8"
40 time - 4.36
vertical - 39.5"
broad - 133"
3-cone - 6.88

OVERVIEW - Hill is an early-entry junior receiver out of Georgia Tech who started consistently for the past two years and was the sole deep threat in a run-first offense. He has great length and an outstanding catch radius, which along with his speed makes him a serious deep-threat option in the NFL. He has a thin frame and will be hurt by the fact that he ran a very basic route tree at Georgia Tech, and teams won't be able to utilize him for much more than go routes at this point in his career. He is a splash player who was No. 1 in the nation in yards per catch; he has fourth-round value based off his all-around body of work but could impress a team with his size and speed enough to ascend significantly throughout the pre-draft process. If the rest of his game can catch up to the ability he shows in the deep passing game, Hill could be the sleeper of this year's draft.

STRENGTHS - Hill will be a legitimate deep threat at the next level -- by recording nearly 30 yards per catch as a senior, he showed he was capable of going deep and scoring on every play. He consistently runs past corners on deep routes and is impressive at the point of the catch, as he is able to lay out for the ball or rise above his defender. Hill is a very good blocker who uses his length well and surprisingly doesn't get off-balance often, something that is usually evident of players with his frame. Though it's risky to throw early comparisons of Hall-of-Fame-caliber players on prospects that don't even garner first-round consideration, Hill could remind some of Randy Moss when it comes to running a pure, one-on-one deep route.

WEAKNESSES - Hill's value is based purely off his ability as a deep threat. He has average quickness and moves off the line of scrimmage to avoid a jam. He ran a very basic route tree at Georgia Tech that didn't allow him to showcase many skills. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. He dropped as many big balls as he made big plays; his YPC stat defines him perfectly as a player who is capable of making flash plays but isn't reliable.

[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM ]
didn't somebody do a thread like this a month ago....?

different players
What's with the "Hill" supporters thing? They're all just prospects with various strengths and weaknesses...it's not personal.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What's with the "Hill" supporters thing? They're all just prospects with various strengths and weaknesses...it's not personal.

Everyone has their draft crush - and this goes out to all of them.
another useless thread
Originally posted by jreff22:
didn't somebody do a thread like this a month ago....?

different players

There was 'best player to groom behind moss" but that's it.

And my point stands. If you want to take a flyer on a project, please invest a 3rd or 4th round pick, not a #1
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
another useless thread

This is very useful. The "Hill vs Fleener" debate is probably the biggest debate we've got going on here...
look at all of Hills numbers, he is the better athlete
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Everyone has their draft crush - and this goes out to all of them.

No matter what a person says, if you like a guy over another, you won't listen (I don't mean you personally, I mean the bigger YOU). It's like trying to explain to someone who doesn't like Mexican food why they should like it...really doesn't matter if the other guy just prefers Italian.

BTW, nobody is stopping you from having that discussion, you're just not likely to resolve anything.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM ]

What do you mean by numbers? And is he worth drafting that much higher???

PFW has Hill with a early 2nd round grade - Streeter has an early 5th round grade.

No matter what a person says, if you like a guy over another, you won't listen (I don't mean you personally, I mean the bigger YOU). It's like trying to explain to someone who doesn't like Mexican food why they should like it...really doesn't matter if the other guy just prefers Italian.

BTW, nobody is stopping you from having that discussion, you're just not likely to resolve anything.

Their love for Hill is irrational - I am going to break their will to fight with rational logic...
id rather have streeter and fleener than hill
The Streeter Highlights from the Virginia game are pretty eye opening. 7 Catches, 176 Yards, 2 TDs

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
id rather have streeter and fleener than hill

I like Fleener, But I could go CB-OL-DL-WR (Streeter) myself...
Originally posted by nickbradley:

What do you mean by numbers? And is he worth drafting that much higher???

PFW has Hill with a early 2nd round grade - Streeter has an early 5th round grade.
Hill
40 time - 4.36 vertical - 39.5" broad - 133" 3-cone - 6.88
Streeter
40 time - 4.40 vertical - 33" broad - 125" 3-cone - 7.08

I have said for months that Hill is a high 2nd rounder....problem is where we draft we will have to overdraft any WR a round early to get them
Share 49ersWebzone