There are 156 users in the forums

Elvis Akpla - WR steal of the draft

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He is from Oregon. He wanted to play and also needed a Scholorship. Montana St. offered him both and allowed him to stay in the NW.

so he wasn't offered a scholarship to oregon?
Nice!!!!
He is a good player. Has good hands and decent speed. Ive watched him play for the past few years and for the BigSkywas a good over all player. I hope the kid gets a chance at the next level. His biggest knock is that he played in the BigSky confrence. He lacks playing against really good college DBs. He never played against bigger schools much. Only once a year he would play a div 1 school. And by the second half they would have their JV squad on the field because they were crushing Montana State. So his #s r inflated in that way.
But I would love to see him as a niner but with SF loading up at WR he would be a prac squad player at best.
I wouldn't wait too long, everyone is looking for Cruz #2 this year. Take him in the 5th. Everything from the 5th on is a crap shoot anyway. He seems like the real deal.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
He is from Oregon. He wanted to play and also needed a Scholorship. Montana St. offered him both and allowed him to stay in the NW.

Actually i beleive he may have been on one in Oregon, but for whatever reason it didnt look like he was going to play after his redshirt year. Dunno the full politics behind that as i dont follow Oregon that closely.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I wouldn't wait too long, everyone is looking for Cruz #2 this year. Take him in the 5th. Everything from the 5th on is a crap shoot anyway. He seems like the real deal.

TBH i could see him going to Denver, probally earlier than anywhere else. Could fit in nicely, and if he could mesh well with Manning in the off season would have a real shot there.

I want him bad. Real bad. But in the end i dont think he becomes a niner unfortunately, unless Baalke sees what i see. But you never know.
i think we should get this kid. hes damn good so the 6th might be too late for him maybe the 4th or 5th even 3rd. we obviously need depth on our lines but we have alot of young competiton there already we can pick up someone in FA. akpla is gonna be a big steal in the draft if hes drafted. dudes fast, runs clean routes an has great hands. exactly what we need. 180 at 6 foot is a little light but i think if he can keep his speed an add 5-10 pounds do it. i hope baalkes seen this kids potential an has him on our list draft day cuz hes gonna be damn good im gonna be pissed if we dont make a move for him. ya hel probly need some time to adjust to the bigger faster nfl DBs but hes got the speed an ability to get behind defenses an make pretty much any catch, something we need. we need more competition at WR right now even tho we got some good ones signed, i think we need at least 1 in the draft hopfully 2. if we got him even if he didnt play hed be a great backup an reliable, someone we know can play receiver.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Actually i beleive he may have been on one in Oregon, but for whatever reason it didnt look like he was going to play after his redshirt year. Dunno the full politics behind that as i dont follow Oregon that closely.

its on one of the earlier pages, he was on a track scholarship as an all american track athlete.....Coach Kelly and Akpla tried to work something out after Akpla expressed his interest in playing ball but there was not a scholarship available for him. He was told he would have to forfeit his track scholarship and play as a walk-on(i.e. paying his own tuition) and hopefully earn a scholarship throughout the year.

that was too much of a gamble for Akpla and he decided to go to the nearest college that offered him a scholarship, which ended up being Montana State.
Originally posted by sfout:

its on one of the earlier pages, he was on a track scholarship as an all american track athlete.....Coach Kelly and Akpla tried to work something out after Akpla expressed his interest in playing ball but there was not a scholarship available for him. He was told he would have to forfeit his track scholarship and play as a walk-on(i.e. paying his own tuition) and hopefully earn a scholarship throughout the year.

that was too much of a gamble for Akpla and he decided to go to the nearest college that offered him a scholarship, which ended up being Montana State.

Thats right. Thanks for posting.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

Thats right. Thanks for posting.

you're welcome

Share 49ersWebzone