• Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
AKPLA!

lololololol
Nice find
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
See some nice skills there. That catch is sick! Wonder about his separation speed at the pro level. I see him being a 6-7th rounder. Worth a shot. Definitely.

got nice seperation on trumaine johnson. Nice bust of seperation across the endzone for a score. His routes are crisp and relies more on his technique than his speed, though he can turn it on if necissary.

I wouldn't say he got "nice separation on Trumaine Johnson". You keep making it sound like he worked Johnson over in the endzone, when Johnson gave him a 5 yard cushion thinking Akpla was going for a curl or corner post when all Akpla did was run a slant all the way across the middle to the other side of the field and Johnson was with him the entire time and it was a perfectly placed pass low to where only Akpla could get it. You keep making is sound like he worked Johnson with a double move and had him falling all over himself when in reality its not true.

Play starts at 0:53:

[ Edited by Travisty13 on Apr 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
See some nice skills there. That catch is sick! Wonder about his separation speed at the pro level. I see him being a 6-7th rounder. Worth a shot. Definitely.

got nice seperation on trumaine johnson. Nice bust of seperation across the endzone for a score. His routes are crisp and relies more on his technique than his speed, though he can turn it on if necissary.

I wouldn't say he got "nice separation on Trumaine Johnson". You keep making it sound like he worked Johnson over in the endzone, when Johnson gave him a 5 yard cushion thinking Akpla was going for a curl or corner post when all Akpla did was run a slant all the way across the middle to the other side of the field and Johnson was with him the entire time and it was a perfectly placed pass low to where only Akpla could get it. You keep making is sound like he worked Johnson with a double move and had him falling all over himself when in reality its not true.

LOL i never said any of that. I said he worked him across the endzone and got nice seperation. Which is true. It can be seen in any video you can post. Your attempting to put words into my mouth. The pass was not great Akpla had to slow up on the cross, which let trumaine gain a bit of ground on the ball at the end.

And why do you think trumaine was respecting him so much? Because of his route running ability. Like i said. Trumaine had to respect the posibility of any route.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Apr 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM ]

LOL i never said any of that. I said he worked him across the endzone and got nice seperation. Which is true. It can be seen in any video you can post. Your attempting to put words into my mouth. The pass was not great Akpla had to slow up on the cross, which let trumaine gain a bit of ground on the ball at the end.

And why do you think trumaine was respecting him so much? Because of his route running ability. Like i said. Trumaine had to respect the posibility of any route.

1st,
FCS Level WR that got overlooked. Alot of people will say he didnt play any competition, but he roasted Trumaine Johnson for 113 yards and a touchdown, and he is ranked by most in the second round i beleive..

Trumaine Johnson has the second round grade, sfout, (the CB that he scorched) sorry for any confusion, didn't word that post greatly. I think he will be drafted by someone in the late rounds, but could also go undrafted. This Kid is getting soooo overlooked its crazy. I want him bad and would spend a pick o him to prevent him from going to seattle, who im sure has had a good look at the kid being hes a regional player.

Thats Not Trumaine Getting scorched by Elvis at about the 1 minute mark? If Elvis had gone to a bigger school he would be being talked about as a top 3 WR in this draft.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/161992-late-round-sleeper-wrs/

Those are all quotes from another thread, you were trying to make it seem like he worked Trumaine over every play, when in reality he was rarely on Elvis.

2nd, the pass was exactly where it was supposed to be. You give the WR a chance to catch it and only the WR. Elvis "slowing down" didn't allow Johnson to catch him. Johnson was shadowing him a second after the cut inside.

3rd, in regards to Johnson "having to respect Akpla's route running", you and I both do not know that. We don't know what D was call, the DC could have had Johnson playing off Akpla for a reason having maybe seen something in the filmroom. We don't know why there was a 5 yard cushion, but it was there and as soon as Johnson realized the slant, he was covering Akpla about as well as the pass could be played.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM ]

1st,
FCS Level WR that got overlooked. Alot of people will say he didnt play any competition, but he roasted Trumaine Johnson for 113 yards and a touchdown, and he is ranked by most in the second round i beleive..

Trumaine Johnson has the second round grade, sfout, (the CB that he scorched) sorry for any confusion, didn't word that post greatly. I think he will be drafted by someone in the late rounds, but could also go undrafted. This Kid is getting soooo overlooked its crazy. I want him bad and would spend a pick o him to prevent him from going to seattle, who im sure has had a good look at the kid being hes a regional player.

Thats Not Trumaine Getting scorched by Elvis at about the 1 minute mark? If Elvis had gone to a bigger school he would be being talked about as a top 3 WR in this draft.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/161992-late-round-sleeper-wrs/

Those are all quotes from another thread, you were trying to make it seem like he worked Trumaine over every play, when in reality he was rarely on Elvis.

2nd, the pass was exactly where it was supposed to be. You give the WR a chance to catch it and only the WR. Elvis "slowing down" didn't allow Johnson to catch him. Johnson was shadowing him a second after the cut inside.

3rd, in regards to Johnson "having to respect Akpla's route running", you and I both do not know that. We don't know what D was call, the DC could have had Johnson playing off Akpla for a reason having maybe seen something in the filmroom. We don't know why there was a 5 yard cushion, but it was there and as soon as Johnson realized the slant, he was covering Akpla about as well as the pass could be played.

It seems like your a huge Fan of Trumaine, which is fine. But the fact is he let Akpla score a touchdown on him.

You have said several times that they were rarely matched up, which may be true or may not be true, i would have to see the game over, but the fact is, on the redzone play Trumaine was in coverage on him and he failed to stop him.

Your comment "You keep making is sound like he worked Johnson with a double move and had him falling all over himself when in reality its not true." nowhere, even in the quotes from the other thread, have i said or implied that. He got scorched for a TD....is that not true?
It seems like your a huge Fan of Trumaine, which is fine. But the fact is he let Akpla score a touchdown on him.

You have said several times that they were rarely matched up, which may be true or may not be true, i would have to see the game over, but the fact is, on the redzone play Trumaine was in coverage on him and he failed to stop him.

Your comment "You keep making is sound like he worked Johnson with a double move and had him falling all over himself when in reality its not true." nowhere, even in the quotes from the other thread, have i said or implied that. He got scorched for a TD....is that not true?
Huge fan of Johnson? Not hardly, rarely seen him play and didn't know anything about the kid til OTC mentioned him as a player to watch at the CB position. I'm neither knocking Akpla or defending Johnson. You are a fan of Akpla and are defending him like I'm knocking the kid which I'm not. I'm merely stating what I see.

Again you keep saying he "got scorched for a TD" which isn't accurate. Did Akpla score a TD against Johnson, sure. Was he worked over or "scorched"? No. He was in position, had good coverage, the QB just make heck of a throw to where Johnson couldn't get a hand on it to bat it down and where only Akpla could snag it. I wouldn't say that's him getting "scorched" at all. Crap WRs make catches on great DBs all the time (i.e.: Ted Ginn when he was still in Miami vs. Revis a few years back comes to mind. Doesn't mean Ginn is an all-pro WR).

I understand your a fan of Akpla and I do wish the kid the best, but I'm just speaking from a neutral place.

Huge fan of Johnson? Not hardly, rarely seen him play and didn't know anything about the kid til OTC mentioned him as a player to watch at the CB position. I'm neither knocking Akpla or defending Johnson. You are a fan of Akpla and are defending him like I'm knocking the kid which I'm not. I'm merely stating what I see.

Again you keep saying he "got scorched for a TD" which isn't accurate. Did Akpla score a TD against Johnson, sure. Was he worked over or "scorched"? No. He was in position, had good coverage, the QB just make heck of a throw to where Johnson couldn't get a hand on it to bat it down and where only Akpla could snag it. I wouldn't say that's him getting "scorched" at all. Crap WRs make catches on great DBs all the time (i.e.: Ted Ginn when he was still in Miami vs. Revis a few years back comes to mind. Doesn't mean Ginn is an all-pro WR).

I understand your a fan of Akpla and I do wish the kid the best, but I'm just speaking from a neutral place.

Good deal. We will have to agree to disagree on the play.
I think it's sometimes hard to not get a little too carried away with one's affinity for a prospect. It happens to all of us at times with various players, but it's good to try and step back and make sure to not get too invested sometimes.

Akpla shows a lot on the field that makes him a terrific developmental prospect. I think Akpla will be a better fit in some systems than others and I'm not sure I'd consider him polished as a blocker. His raw skills and talent make me think he has a shot to be the next Victor Cruz if given an opportunity.

At the same time, there's so much that goes into one's eventual success, it's hard to guarantee a guy like Akpla will sniff it.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think it's sometimes hard to not get a little too carried away with one's affinity for a prospect. It happens to all of us at times with various players, but it's good to try and step back and make sure to not get too invested sometimes.

Akpla shows a lot on the field that makes him a terrific developmental prospect. I think Akpla will be a better fit in some systems than others and I'm not sure I'd consider him polished as a blocker. His raw skills and talent make me think he has a shot to be the next Victor Cruz if given an opportunity.

At the same time, there's so much that goes into one's eventual success, it's hard to guarantee a guy like Akpla will sniff it.
I 100% agree. Had Steve Smith not left in Free Agency and Hixon and Manningham both not gotten hurt, which made Cruz the #2, we may have never heard anything of Victor Cruz. It was a perfect storm, imo, that propelled Cruz into being the WR he is. Hard work, having a year on IR where he could learn the playbook and go to meetings, timely injuries to other WRs, and a pro-bowl QB all cultivated into him having a terrific season.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Agree with everything you said OTC. I hope the kid is given a shot. If he gets into a system like ours he will definately have to do some blocking, but he doesnt shy away from contact so i dont see him objecting to it. He just wasnt asked to do a whole lot of it. But he has never shyed from contact with db's or making a down the feild hit.
i want this kid, probably has a chip on his shoulder from getting overlooked outta high school and college..dude can ball
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i want this kid, probably has a chip on his shoulder from getting overlooked outta high school and college..dude can ball

From what the OP said, he went to Oregon first. I wouldn't say he was overlooked coming out of HS.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

From what the OP said, he went to Oregon first. I wouldn't say he was overlooked coming out of HS.

maybe he knew he wouldn't get a fair shake there/ no playing time
He is from Oregon. He wanted to play and also needed a Scholorship. Montana St. offered him both and allowed him to stay in the NW.
Share 49ersWebzone