LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Turbin

Originally posted by oldman9er:
I'm on the "No-RB-till-the-4th rd-or-later" wagon. If it happens, I'll be okay with it, but I'd rather not unless the value is just sick.

I think we're set at RB until next year.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
I'm on the "No-RB-till-the-4th rd-or-later" wagon. If it happens, I'll be okay with it, but I'd rather not unless the value is just sick.

Before the Jacobs signing I had us taking Turbin in the 3rd. But I don't see us taking a RB at all in this draft now. I see this visit as a total smokescreen.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Before the Jacobs signing I had us taking Turbin in the 3rd. But I don't see us taking a RB at all in this draft now. I see this visit as a total smokescreen.

Just a hunch but I don't think teams use smoke screens on 3rd round prospects.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Robert Turbin, in for a workout, this kid has always been fast, he is a local, played his pewee ball in the FFL (Fremont football league) I remember him, I coached against him, kid was unstoppable! I hope we take him 7th rounder? IDK, it would just be cool. Practice squad guy, someone to push Hunter...

LOL. Nice April Fool's joke.

Seriously, had no idea how highly he's rated, when I saw that I had to call our defensive coordinator, from back in the day and apologize! I goggled him and saw some highlights, holy crap! He is just what we need, a fast powerful back who can catch!

we'll he's rated as a 2nd - 3rd rounder but could fall a bit if the board falls a certain way. However he had arguably one of the best combines for a runningback tying for the lead in the bench press, a top 10 40 time of 4.50, a top 10-15 shuttle and one of the best if not the best vertical and long jumps so he is easily the 5th best RB in the draft behind Richardson, Miller, Wilson, Martin. The only reason he is the 5th back is because of his injury history, he tore a ligament in his big toe or something crazy and he also tore an acl.
Turbin's a guy who could be Gore's replacement-in-waiting...he's a power runner, just what Harbaugh's looking for. Hunter's the change-of-pace guy...one I hope Harbaugh will use like Payton uses Sproles. Think we'd need to pull the trigger on him 2nd or 3rd rd, latest. He won't be a PS guy...too much risk of getting plucked by another team.

I am actually hoping that Brandon Jacobs signing is more for insurance in case we aren't in a position to get a RB we want this year. If Turbin fell to us in the third round, I would hope we would take him and then cut Jacobs in training camp. If our draft targets aren't on the board when we draft, or if someone else drops that we feel is more of a value and we have to draft them, then Jacobs is there.

Agree. Also next year's class is said to be outstanding.
Although RB is a need for the near future, the value would have to be out-of-this-worldly in their eyes for the Niner's to select one this year.
The team would be faced with the conundrum of who to cut. I just have this feeling that BJ will be playing well; he's experienced and IMO motivated.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RDB4216:

I am actually hoping that Brandon Jacobs signing is more for insurance in case we aren't in a position to get a RB we want this year. If Turbin fell to us in the third round, I would hope we would take him and then cut Jacobs in training camp. If our draft targets aren't on the board when we draft, or if someone else drops that we feel is more of a value and we have to draft them, then Jacobs is there.

this is what I think is happening.
Originally posted by susweel:
Indians are in favor of drafting him.

LOL
Originally posted by sfout:
Robert Turbin, in for a workout, this kid has always been fast, he is a local, played his pewee ball in the FFL (Fremont football league) I remember him, I coached against him, kid was unstoppable! I hope we take him 7th rounder? IDK, it would just be cool. Practice squad guy, someone to push Hunter...

Seriously, had no idea how highly he's rated, when I saw that I had to call our defensive coordinator, from back in the day and apologize! I goggled him and saw some highlights, holy crap! He is just what we need, a fast powerful back who can catch!

we'll he's rated as a 2nd - 3rd rounder but could fall a bit if the board falls a certain way. However he had arguably one of the best combines for a runningback tying for the lead in the bench press, a top 10 40 time of 4.50, a top 10-15 shuttle and one of the best if not the best vertical and long jumps so he is easily the 5th best RB in the draft behind Richardson, Miller, Wilson, Martin. The only reason he is the 5th back is because of his injury history, he tore a ligament in his big toe or something crazy and he also tore an acl.

That's fantastic, he is a good kid, like I said my friend coached him in high school. I was offensive co for our pewee team back when we played against Turbin, I have a pretty bad memory, but I remember this kid! I gotta call our old camera man and see if he saved any film on the kid.

I hope we can take him, I don't think Frank has much left in the tank, and Jacobs and Dixon are not suitable every down backs, and hunter while talented in not big enough to be an every down back...meaning despite all the backs we have heading into camp, we still don't have "the guy" we need...I would be stoked to have this kid on the team, I have been reading up and watching his highlights! WOW eye popping stuff, he was a handful as a pewee, he is a beast as a man!

• sfout
  • Veteran

That's fantastic, he is a good kid, like I said my friend coached him in high school. I was offensive co for our pewee team back when we played against Turbin, I have a pretty bad memory, but I remember this kid! I gotta call our old camera man and see if he saved any film on the kid.

I hope we can take him, I don't think Frank has much left in the tank, and Jacobs and Dixon are not suitable every down backs, and hunter while talented in not big enough to be an every down back...meaning despite all the backs we have heading into camp, we still don't have "the guy" we need...I would be stoked to have this kid on the team, I have been reading up and watching his highlights! WOW eye popping stuff, he was a handful as a pewee, he is a beast as a man!

lmao that would be classic to watch him steamroll some other 12 year olds. I think Dixon is on notice that he has to beat Jacobs out if he wants to stay on the team but maybe we keep him as another primarily ST guy. But like someone said above I bet if we have chance to land Martin or Turbin that we end up cutting Jacobs immediately and still give Dixon a chance to re-earn his roster spot.

Martin and Turbin are the most similar backs to Frank so getting either of them would be a dream come true but with Frank training and teaching Miller I would love to get him as well so right now those are my 3 favorite backs followed by Polk then Wilson.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM ]

lmao that would be classic to watch him steamroll some other 12 year olds. I think Dixon is on notice that he has to beat Jacobs out if he wants to stay on the team but maybe we keep him as another primarily ST guy. But like someone said above I bet if we have chance to land Martin or Turbin that we end up cutting Jacobs immediately and still give Dixon a chance to re-earn his roster spot.

Martin and Turbin are the most similar backs to Frank so getting either of them would be a dream come true but with Frank training and teaching Miller I would love to get him as well so right now those are my 3 favorite backs followed by Polk then Wilson.

I think this year we are so set, we are returning all 11 on D, and really have little to no big holes to fill. We need a big every down guy to back up Frank. I agree that Jacobs probably won't make the final cut, Dixon is younger with more upside, the only way Jacobs beats Dixon out is if his cap number looks better, and Dixon keeps on dancing! This year we don't rebuild...WE RELOAD!
  • sfout
  • Veteran

I think this year we are so set, we are returning all 11 on D, and really have little to no big holes to fill. We need a big every down guy to back up Frank. I agree that Jacobs probably won't make the final cut, Dixon is younger with more upside, the only way Jacobs beats Dixon out is if his cap number looks better, and Dixon keeps on dancing! This year we don't rebuild...WE RELOAD!

lol yep its nice to say that for a change, no more rebuilding, were reloading

Gotta get over that, we are gonna need someone to tote the rock this year in case Frank hits the wall. I'm thinking Walsh we need to be a year too early instead of a year too late, because as we know Running Back's can fall off hard and fast.

lol yep its nice to say that for a change, no more rebuilding, were reloading

I know...RELOAD...yeah that does sound good!
Share 49ersWebzone