LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by kronik:
Check the stats for Saints and Pats? Are u joking??? Those 2 teams led the league in pass vs. rush. Not gonna happen here with harbaugh. Even with Luck as his QB at Stanford, they weren't a pass happy team like the Pats and Saints. Do you even follow NFL football? Only a newbie would think a player's stats would follow him wherever he goes EVEN if the offensive system is different, LMFAO.

Oh, and where the hell did u get data that he is 265 lbs? That shows your lack of due diligence.

You've got to go with your strengths. Alex has shown a preference for his TE's, has a habit of over-throwing passes about a foot over the head of 6 foot tall receivers and then you look at Fleener's size, his leaping ability, strong hands, his athleticism and imagine this team down in the red-zone, with VD and Fleener both releasing......that's going to A. Give Alex more confidence with two huge sure-handed targets out there and B. Give the defense nightmares having two cover two big, insanely athletic tight-ends.

True, Alex does seem to click with TE's. But there are other tall TE's available in the draft later. The problem I have with him is... I doubt he will be a good run & pass blocker in the NFL. With Harbaugh's system, I believe our TE's need to be able to do all 3 (receive, runblock, passblock). Would be a nice pick in the 2nd tho.
Not bashing Fleener. Just don't think we need him in our system. The love for Fleener is laughable. People automatically assume we will become the Patriots who pass even when they're up by 28 pts.

With that being said, if he was there in the 2nd, I would love to draft him (which is NOT gonna happen).

I know right, a head coach who loves his tight-ends, loves their versatility and heavily utilizes them in his offense, especially when you're 2nd tight end can go half a season without making a catch but plays over 50% of the snaps, why the hell would he want the most talented tight-end to come out of the draft in a few years, especially one who knows his system, all these people and their crazy nonsense..................

All u guys talk about is receiving, receiving, receiving. Can he passblock and runblock in the NFL with a 6-6 245lb frame???? Think about that ..
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM ]
True, Alex does seem to click with TE's. But there are other tall TE's available in the draft later. The problem I have with him is... I doubt he will be a good run & pass blocker in the NFL. With Harbaugh's system, I believe our TE's need to be able to do all 3 (receive, runblock, passblock). Would be a nice pick in the 2nd tho.

He did fine as a blocker in college. Its amazing that you suggest picking TE's later on in the draft where guys like Green and Egnew will be drafted and they are both HORRENDOUS blockers, but Fleener who has a fair-amount of blocking experience, has tremendous intelligence and experience in the system will somehow be incapable of learning to block better.
All u guys talk about is receiving, receiving, receiving. Can he passblock and runblock in the NFL with a 6-6 245lb frame???? Think about that ..

Because guys never put on additional weight when they get into the pro's, they always stay the same exact weight as they did in college, pro-level strength coaches are clearly incompetent buffoons who won't be able to help a guy fill out his frame? Fleener at his size has a lot more room to fill out his frame than someone like Dwayne Allen for examples. If he can stack on another 5-8 pounds, at his size, he'll be just fine.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM ]
Fleener = instant increased offensive production. The one thing we lacked most last year and the one of the main things we've worked on in FA. I'm all for the pick. DLove is a fan favorite. He's one of those guys who's okay, but not great, and due to being a 'favorite', we make him out to be better than he actually is. I like Walker, like the dude a lot. But if we could add Fleener to the mix...our offense would be as feared almost as much as our D is.
Not a blocker? Fine. Not a lot of TEs are in this league to block. They're here to stretch the field, be feared in the red zone, rack up reception yards, and score points. That's Coby Fleener.

He did fine as a blocker in college. Its amazing that you suggest picking TE's later on in the draft where guys like Green and Egnew will be drafted and they are both HORRENDOUS blockers, but Fleener who has a fair-amount of blocking experience, has tremendous intelligence and experience in the system will somehow be incapable of learning to block better.

With TE's drafted later, we can groom them over time. Trading up for Fleener? That means he's gonna be on the field alot. How versatile is he besides receiving which I acknowledge he can be lethal in the right system.

Because guys never put on additional weight when they get into the pro's, they always stay the same exact weight as they did in college, pro-level strength coaches are clearly incompetent buffoons who won't be able to help a guy fill out his frame?

How long as that gonna take? Overnight??? Would adding the 20 lbs influence his speed?
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Fleener = instant increased offensive production. The one thing we lacked most last year and the one of the main things we've worked on in FA. I'm all for the pick. DLove is a fan favorite. He's one of those guys who's okay, but not great, and due to being a 'favorite', we make him out to be better than he actually is. I like Walker, like the dude a lot. But if we could add Fleener to the mix...our offense would be as feared almost as much as our D is.
Not a blocker? Fine. Not a lot of TEs are in this league to block. They're here to stretch the field, be feared in the red zone, rack up reception yards, and score points. That's Coby Fleener.

True, he would be a receiving weapon especially in the redzone. But will the 49ers pass more often than last year? I doubt it. I think we're a pass %52 run %48 team. That's just how Harbaugh system is..
With TE's drafted later, we can groom them over time. Trading up for Fleener? That means he's gonna be on the field alot. How versatile is he besides receiving which I acknowledge he can be lethal in the right system.
I would counter that his knowledge of Harbaugh's system puts him in a better spot than any other rookie that could be brought in. They'll all have to work on their blocking but Fleener's familiarity with the system reduces the learning curve greatly.

He didn't have problems blocking in college, with a pro training camp and working with 49ers coaches, I'm sure he'll be fine. His versatility, ability to split out wide, his leaping ability, his hands, his speed and agility, and most importantly, his knowledge of the system will be crucial to a team that was on the cusp of making it to the Super Bowl. I'd argue that he's the most ready to contribute from Day 1 of ANY rookie the 49ers could get at #30 right now.

If you draft a WR, they're not starting, they're going to end up behind Crabtree, Manningham and Moss, and WR's take some time to develop. With Fleener, he's ahead of Delanie Walker on the depth chart right off the bat.
I would counter that his knowledge of Harbaugh's system puts him in a better spot than any other rookie that could be brought in. They'll all have to work on their blocking but Fleener's familiarity with the system reduces the learning curve greatly.

He didn't have problems blocking in college, with a pro training camp and working with 49ers coaches, I'm sure he'll be fine. His versatility, ability to split out wide, his leaping ability, his hands, his speed and agility, and most importantly, his knowledge of the system will be crucial to a team that was on the cusp of making it to the Super Bowl. I'd argue that he's the most ready to contribute from Day 1 of ANY rookie the 49ers could get at #30 right now.

If you draft a WR, they're not starting, they're going to end up behind Crabtree, Manningham and Moss, and WR's take some time to develop. With Fleener, he's ahead of Delanie Walker on the depth chart right off the bat.

I'm fine with that argument. But to trade up for Fleener? I still think not. Last time we traded up, we filled a need plus BPA Anthony Davis. Same thing with Kaepernick.

True, he would be a receiving weapon especially in the redzone. But will the 49ers pass more often than last year? I doubt it. I think we're a pass %52 run %48 team. That's just how Harbaugh system is..

Last year the team was limited offensively due to the lack of an offseason and the lack of overall receiving threats. Harbaugh's offense features tight-ends in the passing game due to their versatility, if they go with Fleener, it is because they are planning on have him playing more than 50% of the offensive snaps. You would also see the 3 TE set featured a lot more often as well. Eitherway it makes life difficult for defenses to handle 2 big tight-ends who run like wide receivers and can make plays all over the field.
I'm fine with that argument. But to trade up for Fleener? I still think not. Last time we traded up, we filled a need plus BPA Anthony Davis. Same thing with Kaepernick.

I already said I wouldn't trade up for him. If he's there at 30, I see him as the logical impact pick. After that they can still grab a guy like Marvin Jones or Marvin McNutt, maybe a RB like Turbin, some more depth at safety and guard.....DE...etc....

Last year the team was limited offensively due to the lack of an offseason and the lack of overall receiving threats. Harbaugh's offense features tight-ends in the passing game due to their versatility, if they go with Fleener, it is because they are planning on have him playing more than 50% of the offensive snaps. You would also see the 3 TE set featured a lot more often as well. Eitherway it makes life difficult for defenses to handle 2 big tight-ends who run like wide receivers and can make plays all over the field.

Harbaugh still had a balanced offense at Stanford.. Moot point imo.. Hell with a full offseason, maybe they'll unleash more exotic run plays..

I already said I wouldn't trade up for him. If he's there at 30, I see him as the logical impact pick. After that they can still grab a guy like Marvin Jones or Marvin McNutt, maybe a RB like Turbin, some more depth at safety and guard.....DE...etc....

Ahhh ok, I thought this thread was about trading up for him. My bad
Harbaugh still had a balanced offense at Stanford.. Moot point imo.. Hell with a full offseason, maybe they'll unleash more exotic run plays..

Yeah, a balanced offense that featured a s**tload of tight-ends. Man loves his TE's something fierce.
Share 49ersWebzone