LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Draft day maneuvering (trades)

Draft day maneuvering (trades)

I love the trades today. We started with picks 92 and 125 and end up with a pick higher than 92 next year (unless carolina makes the super bowl) and 117.

In addition we recieved pick 180, a 2013 5th and 2013 6th.

If all we got was the first line, that is better than drafting a guy that may not make the team at 92.

But next year we have the addtional picks to move up handful of spots in the 2nd third and/or fourth if there is a guy we want.

At this point we don't need quantity we need quality.
Getting an extra 3rd next year was brilliant. Anytime you can get an extra top 100 pick I say do it. I don't know about the extra 6th. The downside is we didn't get much out of this draft. I wish somebody was as dumb as Al Davis and would trade with us for a 2nd rounder for next years 1st.... Baalke has shown a willingness to move down. So if we can get that in future years I would do it. We are a MATURE team now and have entered a new phase. Trading down and out of slots may provide more value for future years. We are picking say 28 - 32 in the next few years anyway. So I wouldn't be afraid to trade a 1 for a 1 next year any year here in the future. You may come out ahead. Get a top 10 for trading #30 one year later. We need to find a Raider type of team to do this with us in the future.
Baalke is sooo good.
Ok, I think I've figured it out.

Balke targets specific players in rounds 1 and 2. He locks in on them and takes no prisoners. Trading down is not an option because he must have them.

BUT....in round 3 and later, he's a wheeler dealer.

I thought that trade down to get an extra 3rd next year was pretty impressive. I would love to have been able to grab Ta'amu, but I trust Balke's call on that one. I wonder if they just rank this years draft as weaker than next years?
Originally posted by Butter:
Ok, I think I've figured it out.

Balke targets specific players in rounds 1 and 2. He locks in on them and takes no prisoners. Trading down is not an option because he must have them.

BUT....in round 3 and later, he's a wheeler dealer.

I thought that trade down to get an extra 3rd next year was pretty impressive. I would love to have been able to grab Ta'amu, but I trust Balke's call on that one. I wonder if they just rank this years draft as weaker than next years?

Yep, rounds 3-4 and even later he's not afraid to roll the dice and get the best value. If there is a player they want that they can get 5-10 picks later they don't mind picking up an extra pick for it. He said they got the guy they wanted at 92 and took him at 117. Gave a 6 back to go up 8 spots but overall ended up getting way more than the 92 pick was worth based on the value chart. Ends up being a likely mid 3rd, 5th and 2 6s for a late 3rd.

Expect to see a lot of maneuvering next year with: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7. Won't need all 11 picks most likely. Checked the value chart and say we pick 30ish next year... the 1, 2, 3, 3 gets us up to pick 12ish. I wouldn't do that much for 1 player though. I'm guessing we use the extras to move up from the late round to early/mid in some rounds.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Getting an extra 3rd next year was brilliant. Anytime you can get an extra top 100 pick I say do it. I don't know about the extra 6th. The downside is we didn't get much out of this draft. I wish somebody was as dumb as Al Davis and would trade with us for a 2nd rounder for next years 1st.... Baalke has shown a willingness to move down. So if we can get that in future years I would do it. We are a MATURE team now and have entered a new phase. Trading down and out of slots may provide more value for future years. We are picking say 28 - 32 in the next few years anyway. So I wouldn't be afraid to trade a 1 for a 1 next year any year here in the future. You may come out ahead. Get a top 10 for trading #30 one year later. We need to find a Raider type of team to do this with us in the future.

What do you mean we didn't get much out of the draft?

We got a WR who can push for time at all three WR spots in Jenkins. He is probably one of the most ready WR in the draft. He can run all of the routes. He's faster than all of our WR's now (with Randy Moss its a push). This guy has a chance to play and will probably get more consistent playing time by the middle of the season. I didn't know about Jenkins until after we picked him, but he's not raw like (Quick or Hill), he's not slow (like Sanu, Jeffrey) and he's quicker than blackmon or wright. And he is smoother than all of those guys in route running. Jenkins said he was unhappy with his "official" 40 time of 4.39. He says he's faster than that.

We also got a Running back with elite speed. This guy is going to play right away and will be an instant impact player for us.

Looney and Slowey will give us depth this year and push at guard and center. Both of these guys are maulers. Looney had 228 knockdown blocks for his career. Look at Sloweys highlights and he throws people around like they were rag dolls. Slowey might even be the Center of the future, he was a left tackle in college which is the toughest position on the line and he had 38 reps at his pro day . Getting potential starters in the 4th and 6th is a great job of drafting.

The D guys we got are legit. We needed depth at OLB so we got Fleming (who ran 4.5 at the proday) and Cam Johnson was rated to go as high as 2nd round in the 7th, and Trenton Robinson was a captain in college, played cornerback as well as safety and had 8 picks in his career. He has a good chance to make the team as the 4th safety. The only reason why he wasn't picked higher is that he is on the smaller side 5 10 190.

Not to mention the 3rd, 5th and 6th for next years draft that we can use as ammo to go and get the player we want. That gives us so much flexibility next year.

So tell me again why you think we didn't get anything out of this draft?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yep, rounds 3-4 and even later he's not afraid to roll the dice and get the best value. If there is a player they want that they can get 5-10 picks later they don't mind picking up an extra pick for it. He said they got the guy they wanted at 92 and took him at 117. Gave a 6 back to go up 8 spots but overall ended up getting way more than the 92 pick was worth based on the value chart. Ends up being a likely mid 3rd, 5th and 2 6s for a late 3rd.

Expect to see a lot of maneuvering next year with: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7. Won't need all 11 picks most likely. Checked the value chart and say we pick 30ish next year... the 1, 2, 3, 3 gets us up to pick 12ish. I wouldn't do that much for 1 player though. I'm guessing we use the extras to move up from the late round to early/mid in some rounds.

I think with the new rookie slotting scale the trade value chart goes out the window for teams. I would think it would only take a 1, 2 and 4 to trade up now. I also wouldn't give up that much.
Well after looking at last years draft, it looks like Aldon Smith was under valued by the media and a few teams. In my opinion it is b******t to look at our selection and say we could have traded down and still got him. Why would you be upset? These players look ok but would you really take any of them over Aldon Smith now? Maybe the falcons needed 16 more sacks last year from one player rather then a decent reciever and they might have done more damage in the playoffs. Patrick Peterson looks over rated as a corner but made 3 or 4 great special teams plays. Von Miller was benched at one time last year but also played well at others. AJ Green was great but I value a dominant pass rusher over a great WR. Marcel Dareus will never in any season make as many impact plays as Aldon Smith. Looking back, Aldon Smith warranted the 2nd overall pick in the draft in my opinion. So whether you trade up or trade down, Bill Walsh didn't say, jeeze I wish Joe Montana was picked by us in the 5th round instead of the 3rd. Picking good players is just picking good players. In the other years we only moved up 2 spots for Anthony Davis, not like we gave away half of our draft for him. I don't doubt Baalke's ability to see talent OR TRADE. In fact he loaded us up for next year while adressing needs with good players in this recent draft.

1. Cam Newton - Panthers
2. Von Miller - Broncos
3. Marcel Dareus - Bills
4. AJ Green - Bengals
5. Patrick Peterson - Cardinals
6. Julio Jones - Falcons
7. Aldon Smith - 49ers.

Also, ya he picked Taylor May 2nd round in 2010 and it was rumored that only Singletary really wanted the guy, the next selection, he chose all pro linebacker Navorro Bowman.
[ Edited by BillWalsh on May 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So did Baalke prove his mettle at draft day maneuvering? He turned our 92nd pick into 6 extra picks, and used 1 of them to trade back up 8 spots to 117 to get the player we woud've originally taken at 92 if the colts hadn't have called us up.

Beautiful work, that is all.
[ Edited by sfout on May 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM ]
Over analysis? It seems to me that Baalke identifies players who will fit what the 9ers do and figures out how best to bring them into camp. When there is no pressing need he goes by value or BPA. That allows him to trade down when he sees a bunch of players of equal value on the board. He traded up for Davis because the line was a mess and there were few options as good as Davis for T (and because Singletary wanted to play Smash Mouth football).

Baalke adapted well to the transition to Harbaugh and likely picks players differently than he did with MS.

I loved the Jenkins and James picks because they produced in college on a huge scale and that bodes well for their NFL careers. Jenkins produced really good numbers on a very questionable offense and James just destroyed some very good teams. Later picks were chosen well below their projected slot so there was good value there.

He managed to cover the 9ers needs with players rated as high or higher than the traded picks and still came away with a bunch of extra picks for 2013. Good enough for me! Plus, anyone who had the guts to pick Miller and move him to FB must have made a pact with the devil!

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I would have been ok with trading all of our 2012 draft picks for Andrew Luck. Colts would never do it, but I would have loved it.
Share 49ersWebzone