LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Schulzy 5 Round Mock

I got together with a couple of guys on another message board just before the combine to do a 5 round mock. I won't post the whole thing but these are my picks.

1st Round, 30th Overall - TE Coby Fleener, Stanford

Fleener's size (6'6"), athleticism, and ability to catch the ball downfield (19.6 YPC in 2011) will be a tremendous asset to the Niners offense. With teams like New Orleans and New England thriving with big bodied TEs, it seems easy to pair Fleener with Davis and Delanie Walker. He will be a natural fit.

2nd Round, 62nd Overall - DE Kendall Reyes, Connecticut

This pick was strictly BPA, The Niners could use a little more depth at DE though, as Justin Smith isn't getting any younger. Bringing in another Justin Smith/Ray McDonald clone adds a little more toughness and versatility to the DL.

Round 3, 94th Overall - WR Brian Quick, Appalachian State

Quick is a big, raw, athletic receiver who dominated the FCS level - which is what Baalke looks for in a small school prospect. I feel that Quick is better value in the 3rd, than, say, Stephen Hill in the 1st. I think he could stand to fill out a bit, but I see a little Terrell Owens in him. And spending a year under the tutelage of Randy Moss absolutely could not hurt.

4th Round, 126th Overall - CB Omar Bolden, Arizona State

This pick was made before FA, so CB is not as much of a need as it was before 3/13 with the signing of Cox and re-signing Carlos Rogers. But Bolden has the upside and ability that is still too good to pass up. Bolden missed all of 2011 with a knee injury, so he brings some risk, but is a top level talent who also has value in the return game. With games coming up in '12 against top passing teams, you can never have too many CBs.

5th Round, 160th Overall - S Eddie Whitley, Virginia Tech

The Niners lack depth at the safety position and with Dashon Goldson being franchised tagged, his status beyond next year is in doubt. Whitley is versatile throughout the secondary and can contribute at a few spots in 2012. Reggie Smith and Madieu Williams are free agents, there has been no safeties brought in for a visit so far, so a pick here makes sense.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by Schulzy on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
You should put up a link to the entire mock if possible. I like it, I'm not sure about an early corner though with the depth we have already. Perrish Cox was my favorite corner when he came out so I feel we're set 1 to 4.
id be very happy with this draft...quick is a guy niners might look at if available in rd 3, as the moss amd manningham signings may lessen the need for him to come in and contribute immediately
This would be our ideal mock. Although I can see each of those. first few picks going higher
Hard to critique without knowing who else was available, but certainly covers areas of need. Me likey
Good draft.

I'd change out CB pick - but I don't know who is left to choose. Best RG available?
Speaking of safety if Fleener is gone I think they could target Harrison Smith. I like these draft pick.s Like others said maybe swap out the CB for an OG. But I feel they will go BPA on the majority of their draft picks.
Thanks for the responses guys. If I had to do round 4 over again, I would have taken a RB (Chris Polk was on the board), but I'm not ashamed of the Bolden pick at all.
Fleener and Quick are my picks in the 1st and 3rd too. I like Reyes in the second but Id also look at the best DB available.
Originally posted by hofer36:
id be very happy with this draft...quick is a guy niners might look at if available in rd 3, as the moss amd manningham signings may lessen the need for him to come in and contribute immediately

Same here.

Share 49ersWebzone