LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Geek's Mock V4.0

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Free Agency -

Geoff Schwartz - OG - Panthers

*Underrated offensive guard that will directly compete with Kilgore for the RG starting spot. Schwartz, if a backup, will provide swing guard capability. If needed, he can play tackle...but he isn't very good in that position.

NFL Draft -

R1: Coby Fleener - TE - Stanford
*Personally, I don't like the idea of drafting a TE when we already have good players at the position. But Fleener addresses 3 key areas that Alex Smith has NEVER HAD IN HIS CAREER:
- Big target with good route running skills
- End zone threat
- Excellent hands

Delanie Walker is a free agent after this year, and will receive interest on the open market. Fleener is already familiar with Harbaugh and Roman's scheme.

R2: Trumaine Johnson - CB/S - Montana
*A few reasons why I think the 49ers will take a hard look at Johnson in the 2nd:
- Fantastic size and physical ability
- Sound coverage skills
- Man-to-man and zone skills

The 49ers have a history of converting CB's to S's. Reggie Smith and Dashon Goldson are two known examples. If we resign Goldson, then it provides flexibility to our secondary. If Goldson continues to demand a huge contract, we can replace him with Johnson. If we resign Goldson and let Tarrel Brown walk, we can move Johnson back to corner. If Whitner regresses, we can slide Goldson to SS, and let Johnson start at FS.

R3: T.Y. Hilton - WR/ST - FIU
*Assuming Joe Adams is not available, T.Y. Hilton makes a lot of sense at this spot. He's a very fast receiver with good hands. He will immediately contribute to special teams as a returner, but provides an option as a slot receiver. May eventually replace Kyle Williams on the depth chart as we continue to bolster our WR unit.

R4: Derek Wolfe - DT/DE - Cincinnati
*Bolsters our depth behind Smith and McDonald. Great size and strength, but fairly raw skill set. Pet project for Ron Jeremy...uhh...I mean Jimmy Tomsula.

R5: Brandon Bolden - RB - Mississippi
*Slow 40 time + character concerns makes him a mid-late round steal for the 49ers. North-South runner as Dixon is supposed to be, Bolden has much more natural running ability.

R6: Derrick Shelby - DE/OLB - Utah
*Not very impressive at the combine, but Shelby will provide depth and special teams skills in his first year. Very raw as he transitions to the OLB position, he may be able to develop as a replacement for Haralson on the bench.

R7: Kellen Moore - QB - Boise State
*Moore has the qualities Jim Harbaugh loves in a QB outside of his lack of height and deep ball arm strength. For what he asked Alex Smith to do in 2011, I think Moore would be a great QB as depth to elevate the position. Nothing against Tolzien, but competition is competition at all positions on the team.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Kaepernick/Moore*
RB: Gore/Hunter/Bolden*/Cartwright*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/Fleener*/Walker

WR: Crabtree/Hilton*
WR: Manningham*/Williams
WR: Moss*

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Person
C: Goodwin/Beeler
RG: Schwartz*/Kilgore
RT: Davis

LE: McDonald/Dobbs
NT: Sopoaga/RJF/Williams
RE: Smith/Wolfe*

OLB: Smith/Haralson
ILB: Willis/Grant
ILB: Bowman/Gooden
OLB: Brooks/Shelby*

CB: Rogers/Culliver/Brock
CB: Brown/Cox*
FS: Goldson/Johnson*
SS: Whitner/Spillman/Jones

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings
i like kellen moore
After the first week of free agency, I'm starting to see mocks that have Fleener gone by our pick. How does your mock change if Fleener is gone?
Well thought out and gave good reasons for each pick. I'm with you about Fleener at 30, I'm don't like the idea in the 1st, but I could see it happening. Overall very good mock. My fav. pick (I won't say Hilton, even though I am a big fan. Who doesn't like speed and return ability?) is probably Bolden. He could be a sleeper RB that produces in the NFL. Tough running, SEC back. And to paraphrase you "he's what Dixon was supposed to be".

Good job.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mebemused:
After the first week of free agency, I'm starting to see mocks that have Fleener gone by our pick. How does your mock change if Fleener is gone?

If he's gone, then I'd pick a DT/DE type player: Kendell Reyes or Billy Wynn. Wynn is a sleeper in this draft to keep your eyes on. And instead of drafting Wolfe, I'd look for a big TE target like Ladarius Green that could develop into the redzone threat.

Everything else would remain the same.
alright geek
im really feeling this mock draft. really logical reasoning behind all the picks and i like all those players
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
alright geek
im really feeling this mock draft. really logical reasoning behind all the picks and i like all those players

Thanks! It's not always about addressing immediate needs. It's about finding guys that can develop as contributors or starters on the team, and eventual replacements for current players on the roster. Great teams that remain competitive year in and year out follow this mindset.

So people might say "OH I WANT STEPHEN HILL BECUZ HE RAN FAST 40 AND WE SUK AT WR", but its about who has the higher ceiling and highest chance to contribute in the NFL - short term and long term.
lol

delanie gaining interest on market

like draft though
I like the 1st (Fleener), 3rd (Hilton) and 4th (Wolfe) picks a lot. Overall, a solid draft.

Also how dare you try to replace Tolzien?
Originally posted by drake49er:
I like the 1st (Fleener), 3rd (Hilton) and 4th (Wolfe) picks a lot. Overall, a solid draft.

lmao. I sed the same thing, Lord Tolzien will have your head when he sees this haha

Originally posted by drake49er:

haha i knew someone would bring up tolzien's absence from the mock
excellent supporting reasons for the picks
excellent supporting reasons for the picks
  • cgida
  • Veteran
I don't see Kellen Moore beating Tolzien out. Moore does not have the arm strength for the NFL as seen in the senior bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone