There are 153 users in the forums

Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State

Originally posted by stonecold590:
Originally posted by ninertico:
He's been climbing up boards into the mid second. Some say, he may be a fringe 1st/2nd. Seems to be perfectly suited to pull and he's nasty!

How does he compare with Osemele? They both seem to have the same kind of attributes. It's that Osemele played in Iowa St. VS a small school. Eh, Iupati came from Idaho in the first so the small school thing is nothing more than where he came from.

Yea Iupati go to idaho state.

U of I....Not Idaho State. He was a Vandal.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/division-ii-lineman-could-be-ready-to-play-on-sundays-vn4vq5c-148206475.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Some chatter on Silatolu FWIW

Thus, teams have been digging into Silatolu through interviews and workouts. Other than a bar fight and numerous on-field scrapes with teammates and opponents (scouts relish his temperament), the main concern seems to center on Silatolu's mental capabilities.

"His interview with us was as bad as I've ever seen," one personnel man said. "He had no communication skills. We watched a little tape with him and he couldn't tell you one thing that they did."

Other teams described Silatolu as extremely aggressive on the field and extremely laid-back off it.

"We thought he was just going to be a complete and utter disaster, but he was actually OK," another scout said. "He's had some issues, but I like his personality and how he handles himself."
Amini Silatolu - T - Player

Two NFL scouts told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Midwestern State OG Amini Silatolu is a better player than Mike Iupati.

Silatolu gets Iupati, Larry Allen, and Jahri Evans comparisons because he is a mauling, small-school guard prospect. Many NFL evaluators are worried about Silatolu's intelligence, although he scored a respectable 20 on the Wonderlic Test. The mental capacity is of particular concern because Silatolu will change positions in the pros, transitioning from college tackle to NFL guard.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/division-ii-lineman-could-be-ready-to-play-on-sundays-vn4vq5c-148206475.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Some chatter on Silatolu FWIW

Thus, teams have been digging into Silatolu through interviews and workouts. Other than a bar fight and numerous on-field scrapes with teammates and opponents (scouts relish his temperament), the main concern seems to center on Silatolu's mental capabilities.

"His interview with us was as bad as I've ever seen," one personnel man said. "He had no communication skills. We watched a little tape with him and he couldn't tell you one thing that they did."

Other teams described Silatolu as extremely aggressive on the field and extremely laid-back off it.

"We thought he was just going to be a complete and utter disaster, but he was actually OK," another scout said. "He's had some issues, but I like his personality and how he handles himself."

More on him =

04/02/2012 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT TOP OFFENSIVE LINEMEN: Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State, 6-4, 311...Coming out of West Tracy (Calif.) High School as a two-way football star, he stopped at San Juoquin Delta Community College to improve his grades in an attempt to play for Boise State and earned juco All-American honors in 2008. But after missing the 2009 season due to academic ineligibility, he still could not play at Nevada, so Silatolu settled on little Midwestern State College in Wichita Falls, Texas, where he was a dominant left tackle. Last season he became the first MSU player ever to earn a Division II consensus All-American honor. He finished second in voting for the Gene Upshaw Award for top D-II linemen. And he was the first MSU player invited to the Senior Bowl, but once again was disappointed as he pulled a hamstring and was unable to take part. His performance at the combine didn't live up to his play at MSU, so opinions on his pro potential are as varied as the path he has taken to get this far. But when finally given a chance he has been outstanding at every level so somebody will certainly see if he can do the same in the NFL. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

==

Really not thrilled with him. I would much rather have Glenn/Zeitler in the 1st or Osemele in the 2nd.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Right now, I have him projected to the Giants at 32. Seems to have a lot of momentum behind him now, and appears to be a top 50 lock. Would not be surprised at all if the Niners pulled the trigger on him at 30.

Wow! Not sure what to make of this. Love building two great lines, but another first rounder?
Originally posted by English:
Right now, I have him projected to the Giants at 32. Seems to have a lot of momentum behind him now, and appears to be a top 50 lock. Would not be surprised at all if the Niners pulled the trigger on him at 30.

Wow! Not sure what to make of this. Love building two great lines, but another first rounder?

While Im not thrilled with his particular guy in the 1st, I would not be shocked or upset if we did draft a G in the 1st. RG was clearly a major weak link last year that affected the entire line. Jimbo's O is predicated on running the ball and wearing down a D. If we can turn a major weakness into a strength, it will help the entire team. More 3rd and short conversions ( 9ers were one of the worst in the league last year ), keeps the O on the field and the D rested. If we draft a beast of a RG that solidifies our line for the next 5+ years, the 30th pick will be well worth it. With the way the 9ers passed on multiple vet RG's in Free Agency, they either really believe in Kilgore / Boone, or they have a plan to draft a RG in the 1st two rounds. Cant wait to see how it all shakes out!
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by English:

While Im not thrilled with his particular guy in the 1st, I would not be shocked or upset if we did draft a G in the 1st. RG was clearly a major weak link last year that affected the entire line. Jimbo's O is predicated on running the ball and wearing down a D. If we can turn a major weakness into a strength, it will help the entire team. More 3rd and short conversions ( 9ers were one of the worst in the league last year ), keeps the O on the field and the D rested. If we draft a beast of a RG that solidifies our line for the next 5+ years, the 30th pick will be well worth it. With the way the 9ers passed on multiple vet RG's in Free Agency, they either really believe in Kilgore / Boone, or they have a plan to draft a RG in the 1st two rounds. Cant wait to see how it all shakes out!

same thing i think when i pee
Doesn't matter if he played at a small school. Larry Allen played at football powerhouse Sonoma State!
Originally posted by contrarios:
Doesn't matter if he played at a small school. Larry Allen played at football powerhouse Sonoma State!

if anything it means he has a point to prove. and the GOAT went to mississippi valley state.
can anyone name anyone else who even went to that school without using google.

Didnt think so
  • sfout
  • Veteran
According to @RavensInsider Aaron Wilson these are the teams with the heaviest interest in Amini Silatolu

Aaron WilsonAlso In Baltimore RavensAmong the other teams that are logical fits for Amini Silatolu or are believed to have strong interest in him: the San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens, San Diego Chargers, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Washington Redskins and the Houston Texans.

My only concern is his concentration. How can you get low grades at a JC? All you got to do is show up.
Silatolu is a 2nd round pick. He wont go in the first round. If the Niners want him they are going to have to trade back with the first or trade up with the 2nd.

Originally posted by 99problems:
same thing i think when i pee

Why do i have a feeling that this is the player Baalke n company LOVE........the other day when they interviewed Baalke n he said he was quite sure the player they love would most likely be there made me think that it might be Silatolu he really hasnt been talked about being a 1st round pick & for what ive heard he is coming out with more upside than when Iupati came out back in 10'

i hope its Fleener but this pick is more likely than any other high coveted players that are slotted in the 1st round
Share 49ersWebzone