LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Number One Draft Priority: Center?

Sounds strange, but I think drafting a Center could be our #1 priority going into the draft, barring an unexpected move in free agency to sign a quality starting guard.

So here's the situation:

The 49ers hope that Kilgore can start at RG in 2012, but there is considerable risk in that proposition. Snyder is gone, so we're walking the tightrope without a net. We're trying to bring in a vet guard on the cheap to compete with Kilgore, but a more likely scenario is that we draft an interior lineman in the first three rounds that will directly compete with Kilgore -- winner starts at right guard. Center is the need -- not a pure guard -- because we need a center of the future anyways. And if Kilgore wins the RG competition, we're stuck with a high draft pick guard. Furthermore, almost any center can also play guard -- it's an easier position to play.

Clearly, Peter Konz at #30 would be an optimal scenario -- and it may even be worth it to trade up if he's there; I expect Chicago to trade down in order to make up for the Brandon Marshall trade -- a 3rd round pick is about enough to pull it off. If we decide not to trade up for Konz and he doesn't fall to #30, we can get Ben Jones at the end of the second round, or Phil Blake or Mike Brewster in the 3rd round.

If I had my way, I'd try to ensure that we snag Konz, no matter what. If that fails, I would take Ben Jones in the 2nd -- Jones has a very high "floor" and can start as a rookie.
again depends on FA

as of now our only WRs are moss crabtree wiliams

and moss is dar from a sure thing at 35 and 1 year away from nfl

if we get lloyd or royal i say yes RG or C is our biggest need and we can get another WR in R2

if we dont pick up one of those guys then no WR is our biggest need
We'll probably address it in FA.
Geoff Schwartz (Height: 6-6 Weight: 331 Age: 25 ) is supposed visit with the niners - "Decent G in a deep market. The fact that he can move to T, coupled with the weakness of that market, should add to his value."
He's 5yrs younger than Snyder and can do play OG and OT. I wonder if we can play C too though
[ Edited by martysofresh on Mar 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM ]
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Geoff Schwartz (Height: 6-6 Weight: 331 Age: 25 ) is supposed visit with the niners - "Decent G in a deep market. The fact that he can move to T, coupled with the weakness of that market, should add to his value."
He's 5yrs younger than Snyder and can do play OG and OT. I wonder if we can play C too though

If we sign Schwartz, he'd likely take Snyder's role as starting RG/swing OT in the event of injury. Kilgore would then be the backup interior swing guy (center/guard).
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by martysofresh:

If we sign Schwartz, he'd likely take Snyder's role as starting RG/swing OT in the event of injury. Kilgore would then be the backup interior swing guy (center/guard).

TIme to start the Schwartz train now! He always adds the youth into OL. Youth + Versatility= Upgrade. If we land this guy, we've got to have the best FO in all of sports. Ok, Maybe im exaggerating, but who cares. lol
Feel the power of the Schwartz! Let's hope we get the upside of the Schwartz not the downside.........

http://www.hark.com/clips/dtwbshqbwd-power-of-schwartz
Probably not 1st on their list but the position needs to be addressed. forget a back up they need to find a replacement for Goodwin. He's below average.
If the Niners feel Boone is ready to start, that changes things. Do they put him in at RT and move Davis to RG? That might be a little shaky with two new players on the right side.
Fact of the matter is, we NEED immediate upgrades on the interior.

We need a C, RG, DE, NT, FS, WR, and OLB depth.
NickBradley, I may not always agree with your posts but they are always though provoking and appreciated. Thanks.

IMO, I feel FA will tilt the priority need. Kilgore/Pearson did not play enough for anyone to get a real handle on their ability. In my heart i'm rooting for one of them to make the leap.

I agree Koonz is an A+ player and a need. However, I feel getting a point producer in the first and Ben Jones in the 2nd is a better way to go. I reallly like Ajones and feel he'll be a top player at the position. Maybe not the best but still very good.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

This. Both lines are now the priority in my opinion especially if we get another WR in free agency such as Manningham or Royal. I think the Niners should aggressivley move up and draft DeCastro, Konz, or Glenn if they fall in the late teens or 20s.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
NickBradley, I may not always agree with your posts but they are always though provoking and appreciated. Thanks.

IMO, I feel FA will tilt the priority need. Kilgore/Pearson did not play enough for anyone to get a real handle on their ability. In my heart i'm rooting for one of them to make the leap.

I agree Koonz is an A+ player and a need. However, I feel getting a point producer in the first and Ben Jones in the 2nd is a better way to go. I reallly like Ajones and feel he'll be a top player at the position. Maybe not the best but still very good.

I hope we fill RG in Free Agency -- if we don't, we HAVE to draft an interior lineman in the first two rounds.
Yes, may the the power of the Schwartz ! be with you Lone star
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

This.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
This. Both lines are now the priority in my opinion especially if we get another WR in free agency such as Manningham or Royal. I think the Niners should aggressivley move up and draft DeCastro, Konz, or Glenn if they fall in the late teens or 20s.
The OG position is deep in this draft. No need to trade up. In fact, if an OG/C is your highest priority, than trading back would make sense cause the following OG's should be available across the second round according to DraftScout.com's value board:
#36 Kevin Zeitler
#44 Peter Konz C
#48 Kelechi Osemele
#59 Ben Jones C
#63 Amini Silatolu

If we let the talent come to us, Ben Jones or Amini Silatolu should be available at #62. And we still have our first round pick for BPA.
Share 49ersWebzone