LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

No Hill/Fleener in the 1st Post Combine mock V1

I don't think Fleener or Hill will be there when we pick...so keep that in mind.

Free Agency: Marques Colston WR

Cut:
Haralson
Ginn
All the other scrubs we all know about especially Rachal.

Ginn and Haralson cut to allow for the Colston signing and retaining Rogers. We lose a little depth at OLB but we keep Rogers, which to me is a good tradeoff. I just felt to keep Rogers and get Colston we'd have to cut Haralson's salary.

Resign:
Smith
Goldson
Rogers
Brooks
Snyder
Grant

Draft:

Trade out of #30 with Fleener and Hill gone and pick up an extra third. Move back to about pick #40. If we can move back 10 slots and draft Miller I think it's worth it to go BPA with a RB with the skills of Miller.

Round 2: Lamar Miller RB Miami - Before you get upset, consider this pick for a moment. It is an interesting pick here, but no WR worth the 40 spot and I think Miller is BPA. I know there is talent at RB next year, but Miller can help us a lot THIS year when Gore strangely feels he must come out of the game. Miller is a homerun hitter and can take it the distance and blazed his forty in 4.40. I particularly like how he accelerates through the hole similar to Gore and runs north-south. He returns kicks as well which is nice. He is from the U so Gore may not cry as much about this pick.

Round 2: Trumaine Johnson CB Montana - Tall corner with great size to give Cully some competition for the third CB spot and push him to keep getting better. Could develop into a #1/#2 corner in a couple years when Rogers is done.

Round 3: Joe Adams WR/KR Arkansas - Perfect replacement for Ginn IMO, and the best returner in the draft. His forty was slower than expected, but he is electric in pads and plays much faster than he showed in his forty. It actually allows him to drop to the end of the second round so we can grab him. From what I've seen of him, I believe he could be the next great punt returner in the NFL, and maybe even an upgrade to Ginn.

Round 3: LeDarius Green TE Lousiana Lafayette - TE with great height and speed with good hands to develop this year behind Davis and Walker. Harbaugh can find ways to use him in the passing game this year while he learns to block and adds 20lbs or so to his frame. Then he can explode in 2013 alongside Vernon. If Walker's play is not up to par, this pick allows us to part ways with him and not miss a beat after this season.

Round 4: Marvin McNutt WR Iowa - Another WR to compete and develop behind Morgan and Crabs. Good size at 6'3 with good hands, and he also ran well in the combine I believe. Was very good in the red zone with Iowa and scored a lot of TD's in this area of the field.

Round 5: Burris OLB San Diego State - Good depth at OLB and OTC likes him so that's good enough for me.

Round 6: A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois - Another WR to throw into the mix and develop. Was a huge playmaker for Illinois during his college career. While he is a little shorter at just under 6'1, he ran a 4.45 forty and just makes big plays. Lets throw numbers at our WR problem and see who sticks. Also adding these two for competition push Crabs and Morgan to get better.

Round 7: Best OL for depth

Roster:

QB: Smith, Kap, Tolzein
RB: Gore, Hunter, Miller
FB: Miller
WR: Colston, Crabtree, Morgan, Adams, McNutt, Jenkins, Williams
TE: Davis, Walker, Green, Byham
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Snyder, Davis
Boone, Kilgore, Beeler, Person

DL: McDonald, Ice, Smith
Dobbs, Williams
LB: Brooks, Willis, Bowman, Smith
Burris, Grant, Gooden
CB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Johnson, Brock
S: Whitner, Goldson, Spillman, Jones
K: Akers
P: Lee
LS: Jennings
PR: Adams
KR: Miller and Hunter/Adams

Long-time reader on the zone. Do not post much but I love the draft, and wanted to speculate assuming Fleener and Hill are not there. Wanted to think a little outside the box on this one.

In response to some of your comments, I moved Trumaine Johnson in to the second round as I thought he was a third rounder but it seems he has moved up. Adams can still be had in the third anyways IMO.

And I drafted heavy WR's for competition. Doesn't mean I think they will all be on the roster, but with the extra competition we can take the best 5 and use Adams as PR/KR. The other WR put on the practice squad. No guard in the draft but we drafted Kilgore and Beeler for depth on the line last year. Snyder played well last year and we can still cut Rachal in favor of Kilgore or a vet guard through free agency. Next year we go heavy DL with DE/Nose Tackle with early picks with an OG as well.

Let me know what you guys think! Go niners! Thoughts?
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Mar 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM ]
Good draft. I like the first 3 picks!

-edited
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Mar 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM ]
Actually love it! Only thing I would change is dropping Green and adding a stud OG only because it's a bigger need than TE.
does any team have 2 picks in rd 2 to trade for niners #30 pick? if so, why would they give up so much for so little?
Originally posted by pete98146:
Actually love it! Only thing I would change is dropping Green and adding a stud OG only because it's a bigger need than TE.

Yeah, I was thinking RG.
If we bring in Colston I don't think we need to draft 3 receivers and a tight end as well.

I think it's a fine mock I just think you went a little overboard on the skilled positions.
Nice mock
  • sfout
  • Veteran
1st, 2nd and maybe even 3 picks are way unrealistic. Miller will be gone by 30, let alone the mid 40s, I've never seen Joe Adams as 2nd rounder(I'm still seeing him as 3rd rounder but I could be wrong) and Trumaine Johnson has 2nd round grade, no way he falls an entire round, he was one of the consistant performers at the combine.

David Wilson, Doug Martin or Robert Turbin will actually be there in the 2nd.

BPA RB is a good move but it will more then likely be David Wilson in the top 40-45, Millers size and speed are way to appealing for a team in the late 1st, very early 2nd to pass on. Wilsons lankiness immediately puts him behind Doug Martin or Robert Turbin in my eyes, the board would ultimately dictate the decision but I would rather take either of those 2 then Wilson.

Flip the 2nd and 3rd round picks and I love it.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM ]
I like your draft but would be hesitant to let Haralson go. That would leave us with a rookie (Burris) and a special teams guy (Gooden) as the backups for both OLB spots. Haralson may not have done anything the past few seasons since he got his new contract, but he's a better backup option than those two alone. I think in a 3-4 system you need to have good depth at both inside and outside LB. Your scenario has us keeping way too many WRs.
Love the Mock. Prob the most realistic.....I like Hill, GT receivers tend to be pretty good but limited involvement in the offense in college makes me nervous. Rashad Woods keeps coming to mind. I like bringing in a bunch of receivers, Baalke/Harbaugh said they wanted comp at every postition, and why not bring in a bunch of hungry rookies to push Crab and co.

Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
I like your draft but would be hesitant to let Haralson go. That would leave us with a rookie (Burris) and a special teams guy (Gooden) as the backups for both OLB spots. Haralson may not have done anything the past few seasons since he got his new contract, but he's a better backup option than those two alone. I think in a 3-4 system you need to have good depth at both inside and outside LB. Your scenario has us keeping way too many WRs.

This, and I think Blake Costanzo gets resigned. Harbaugh seems to love him, and he is a Seely guy. I'm also wondering what happened to RJF and Will Tukafua (sp?)
Originally posted by hofer36:
does any team have 2 picks in rd 2 to trade for niners #30 pick? if so, why would they give up so much for so little?

A team would only give us their 3rd to move up to pick #30 and we move back to their 2nd round pick at around #40.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:

This, and I think Blake Costanzo gets resigned. Harbaugh seems to love him, and he is a Seely guy. I'm also wondering what happened to RJF and Will Tukafua (sp?)

My bad I forgot about those two RJF and Tukafua. They will still be on the team. Yeah Costanzo gets signed as well but I was just putting the main names that came to mind. I know Haralson is nice depth, but I was trying to be realistic about keeping Rogers and getting Colston. I thought it was a worthy trade off to lose depth at OLB and draft one (Burris) and keep Rogers. If we could realisticly keep Haralson as well Im all for it.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
If we bring in Colston I don't think we need to draft 3 receivers and a tight end as well.

I think it's a fine mock I just think you went a little overboard on the skilled positions.

Thanks for commenting. I just wanted to make the WR as competitive as possible. Adams is mainly drafted as a PR/KR to replace Ginn, but if he can beat out William as a slot WR than we can waive Williams. Best man wins. TE was in preparation for Delanie Walker possibly leaving next year when his contract is up. And Green has all the measurables of height and speed but is raw. Can be coached up and be a serious weapon in year 2 or 3.
Originally posted by sfout:
1st, 2nd and maybe even 3 picks are way unrealistic. Miller will be gone by 30, let alone the mid 40s, I've never seen Joe Adams as 2nd rounder(I'm still seeing him as 3rd rounder but I could be wrong) and Trumaine Johnson has 2nd round grade, no way he falls an entire round, he was one of the consistant performers at the combine.

David Wilson, Doug Martin or Robert Turbin will actually be there in the 2nd.

BPA RB is a good move but it will more then likely be David Wilson in the top 40-45, Millers size and speed are way to appealing for a team in the late 1st, very early 2nd to pass on. Wilsons lankiness immediately puts him behind Doug Martin or Robert Turbin in my eyes, the board would ultimately dictate the decision but I would rather take either of those 2 then Wilson.

Flip the 2nd and 3rd round picks and I love it.

Thanks for your coments! Already switched T Johnson to the second. Didnt realize he now has a late 2nd grade. Adams can still be had in the mid third IMO. And I think Miller definitely goes in the early second and could fall to #40 with other positions being valued more in today's NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone