LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

*Who to watch* ORSON CHARLES - TE - GA BULLDOGS

Class: JuniorHometown: Tampa, FlaHigh School: PlantHeight / Weight: 6-3 / 241Position: TEBirthdate: 01/27/1991Experience: 2L

Charles, a Mackey Award finalist, completes his three-year career with the most yardage all-time for a Georgia tight end with 1,370 yards. He also tied with Leonard Pope (2003-05) for most touchdowns at the position with 10 and finished third in receptions (94).

University of Georgia junior tight end Orson Charles has decided to forego his senior season and enter the 2012 NFL Draft.

Top heavy with muscle, fast, VERNON -Like, but humble.

I would love to get this guy, but I doubt we'll go TE again. Will watch.

Seems similar to Vernon coming out, but less explosive, fast, and strong. Not killing the kid, but Vernon was a FREAK. I wouldn't mind getting him, as he would be able to do all of the things that Delanie does (except much better), but I would rather add a guy that can offer a different skillset as a compliment to Vernon.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Class: JuniorHometown: Tampa, FlaHigh School: PlantHeight / Weight: 6-3 / 241Position: TEBirthdate: 01/27/1991Experience: 2L

Charles, a Mackey Award finalist, completes his three-year career with the most yardage all-time for a Georgia tight end with 1,370 yards. He also tied with Leonard Pope (2003-05) for most touchdowns at the position with 10 and finished third in receptions (94).

University of Georgia junior tight end Orson Charles has decided to forego his senior season and enter the 2012 NFL Draft.

Top heavy with muscle, fast, VERNON -Like, but humble.

I would love to get this guy, but I doubt we'll go TE again. Will watch.

We already have this guy. He's called Delanie Walker.
Way too much like Vernon Davis, would be pointless to bring a poor man's version of VD when you have a much bigger, physical prospect in Fleener. I am hoping that Charles absolutely tears it up at the combine so he can catch the attention of some team looking to take a TE early.

If the 49ers take any TE early, it's going to be Fleener. Why take another smaller tight-end when you already have two? Charles is an ideal "joker" TE, would fit well with the Broncos or the Steelers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM ]
I like Charles and Allen. This is a really deep TE class. I hope we scoop one of these guys up.
If you're going to bring in another tight end you want someone whose the opposite of Vernon. Gronkowski and Hernandez work well together because they're exact opposites of the position.

Vernon is a dynamic player, but he lacks awareness, route running, and at 6'3 is not a great red zone target. I think that's why people like Fleener so much. It's not oh yeah we need another tight end. I see Fleener and see someone who fills in the holes that Vernon leaves on the field.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
If you're going to bring in another tight end you want someone whose the opposite of Vernon. Gronkowski and Hernandez work well together because they're exact opposites of the position.

Vernon is a dynamic player, but he lacks awareness, route running, and at 6'3 is not a great red zone target. I think that's why people like Fleener so much. It's not oh yeah we need another tight end. I see Fleener and see someone who fills in the holes that Vernon leaves on the field.

I agree with some. But Vernon is a fantastic redzone target. We just don't have any others. That's why he gets the double teams and box coverages. How did he get 965 yards and 13 TD's if he's not a good redzone target? We just need another one. To take pressure off him. Crabtree is not a redzone target. He's small and short. And his TD #'s are very low. Most great teams have 2 - 3 redzone targets. It's tough to cover all that. With us they just sell out to cover one guy.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM ]
he will be gone before our 2nd pick and not worth the first round
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he will be gone before our 2nd pick and not worth the first round

Not fully convinced of that yet. We'll see.
I never said that we'd go after another TE, but that I'll watch how Charles comes up in the league.

Dude is very humble, and a beast.

I'd rather we draft a shtiload of WR to be honest lol

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I never said that we'd go after another TE, but that I'll watch how Charles comes up in the league.

Dude is very humble, and a beast.

I'd rather we draft a shtiload of WR to be honest lol
So they can all sit on the bench and watch when this team is in 2-TE formations?
he's gone in the 1st round maybe high 2nd. He's going before Fleener
Originally posted by lamontb:
he's gone in the 1st round maybe high 2nd. He's going before Fleener

Especially now that Fleener's not running in Indy. Everyone is expening Charles to put on a Vernon Davis type of show (except for the 4.3 40)
without a doubt highest cieling of all Te's
Charles is the closest clone I've seen to Vernon.
Share 49ersWebzone