LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Omar Bolden-CB-ASU

1st/2nd round talent in the 4th-6h round? This guy has had some serious injury issues, including an ACL tear but he's been a very good cornerback when he's played, has good speed, a natural leader, seems to be a hard worker and all-around good guy. If he gets cleared on the medical issues I think he might be a big value pick-up in the later rounds. Oh yeah, he's also a pretty damn good kick returner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0DcSvFtjXQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo_EFkZZtk0&feature=related(2:30 mark)
Saw him play a few times, somewhat impressed. Would need to know more before I'd spend anymore than a 5th on him though.
There are some who believe Bolden's talent alone could still have him land somewhere in the top 100 picks, despite the injury. I think he'll go around no later than the 5th if deemed healthy. He suffered the injury in Spring in early April so you're looking at a guy who might just barely be at the point where he's both healthy and NFL-fit, if that. I would expect without any setbacks he'd easily be ready for a team's training camp, because that'd be more than a year of recovery time at that point, but it's obviously a risk teams would take if he's not 100% at the combine. Personally, I'd want to see where he weighs in at the combine. If he weighs in above 5-10, I think the 49ers should consider taking a shot later on.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
There are some who believe Bolden's talent alone could still have him land somewhere in the top 100 picks, despite the injury. I think he'll go around no later than the 5th if deemed healthy. He suffered the injury in Spring in early April so you're looking at a guy who might just barely be at the point where he's both healthy and NFL-fit, if that. I would expect without any setbacks he'd easily be ready for a team's training camp, because that'd be more than a year of recovery time at that point, but it's obviously a risk teams would take if he's not 100% at the combine. Personally, I'd want to see where he weighs in at the combine. If he weighs in above 5-10, I think the 49ers should consider taking a shot later on.

I dunno, OTC did get me interested on Golden outta Zona in the 5th. Those ACL injuries are rough to predict if they lose a step or reoccurs
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

I dunno, OTC did get me interested on Golden outta Zona in the 5th. Those ACL injuries are rough to predict if they lose a step or reoccurs

I like Golden a lot. I think he projects as a very good potential press corner and has almost no weakness in my mind, simply needs development and focus on one position. I think is a lot like Culliver, except more physical and not a 4.3 guy.

I like Golden a lot. I think he projects as a very good potential press corner and has almost no weakness in my mind, simply needs development and focus on one position. I think is a lot like Culliver, except more physical and not a 4.3 guy.

wait a sec when was the last time Bolden played? I think I might've been talking about Golden in my post above. These guys friggin confuse me similar names n positions and s**t.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

wait a sec when was the last time Bolden played? I think I might've been talking about Golden in my post above. These guys friggin confuse me similar names n positions and s**t.

Bolden last played in 2010. He played for Arizona State.

Golden played all this year. He played for Arizona.

Physically, Golden is slightly bigger, but speedwise they're not that far off. (Bolden high 4.4, Golden low 4.5). They're actually pretty similar players in the way they play the game. Golden just bites on double-moves more due to his aggressive nature. Good coaching will hone his aggression so he makes the jumps at the right times. Until then, it'll be give-and-take between big plays, but the kid has tremendous talent.

Both G-olden and B-olden do.

Physically, Golden is slightly bigger, but speedwise they're not that far off. (Bolden high 4.4, Golden low 4.5). They're actually pretty similar players in the way they play the game. Golden just bites on double-moves more due to his aggressive nature. Good coaching will hone his aggression so he makes the jumps at the right times. Until then, it'll be give-and-take between big plays, but the kid has tremendous talent.

So you think Golden could be worth picking? Where? And how come nobody is talking about LSU corner Ron Brooks? Hard hitter, good height, seems like a mid 4.4 guy, played as a good CB on a real good defense, but overshadowed by Mo Claiborne and the Honey Badger. I think he could be freakin solid. I noticed him play a lot when I watched them. Where you project him to go?

So you think Golden could be worth picking? Where? And how come nobody is talking about LSU corner Ron Brooks? Hard hitter, good height, seems like a mid 4.4 guy, played as a good CB on a real good defense, but overshadowed by Mo Claiborne and the Honey Badger. I think he could be freakin solid. I noticed him play a lot when I watched them. Where you project him to go?

Brooks, 6th-7th, depending on combine. Small framed corner at 5-11 178 (compare that to Golden at 5-11 200). But teams will like the football family bloodlines (dad played for Bears). This was his first year of production, so there will be questions surrounding his experience.

I think he projects as one of the better Nickel CBs and high-upside guys in the draft.

And yes, I am still working on positional boards, but I'd push hard for a selection of Robert Golden in the 5th right now.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM ]

Brooks, 6th-7th, depending on combine. Small framed corner at 5-11 178 (compare that to Golden at 5-11 200). But teams will like the football family bloodlines (dad played for Bears). This was his first year of production, so there will be questions surrounding his experience.

I think he projects as one of the better Nickel CBs and high-upside guys in the draft.

Nice. Has he played at the senior bowl or Shrine game and gotten measured yet, or are those just estimates? I would take a shot on him in the 6th. Where do you think Golden goes?

Nice. Has he played at the senior bowl or Shrine game and gotten measured yet, or are those just estimates? I would take a shot on him in the 6th. Where do you think Golden goes?

Golden is hard to predict, I could see a team really liking him and taking him as high as the 4th. Or, if later on, team needs just happen to fall a certain way, he could possibly make it to the 6th or 7th. It all depends. I think there's a wide range for Golden right now.

Brooks supposedly played in the Players All Star Classic, or he was going to, I'm not sure if did or not. I never saw him on the official roster, but there are articles saying he was on the South Roster for it. If he was an accidental omission, then I may have his exact measurements right now.

If the numbers I have for him are correct, he is 5' 11 1/4" and 178, which could make him a potential 49ers target since he wouldn't need to add much weigh to get into the 180s.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM ]
I have a hard time seeing Omar Bolden make it earlier than a 5th rounder. He carries a lot of risk because of his injury history.

Athletically (pre-injury) he was as quick and fast as the top corners in college. But his fundamentals and technique and ability to play CB were pretty bad. He was a RB in high school and he is still learning the position. He is a development project who will get taken based on his athleticism, not his ability to play corner right away.

Bolden also gets burned by the top WRs he played against in college, AJ Green made him his b***h twice. It would be funny i I wasn't a Sun Devil fan.

I will say he is a high character, team first guy, who can make an immediate impact on special teams (he was good as a returnman).

I'll be rooting for him because I think he is a very likeable guy, but he is just raw and the injury is going to scare a lot of people away. Without the knee injury, I would say he would have a good shot at 4.0 flat. Now? I have no idea, haven't seen him run post injury.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I have a hard time seeing Omar Bolden make it earlier than a 5th rounder. He carries a lot of risk because of his injury history.

Athletically (pre-injury) he was as quick and fast as the top corners in college. But his fundamentals and technique and ability to play CB were pretty bad. He was a RB in high school and he is still learning the position. He is a development project who will get taken based on his athleticism, not his ability to play corner right away.

Bolden also gets burned by the top WRs he played against in college, AJ Green made him his b***h twice. It would be funny i I wasn't a Sun Devil fan.

I will say he is a high character, team first guy, who can make an immediate impact on special teams (he was good as a returnman).

I'll be rooting for him because I think he is a very likeable guy, but he is just raw and the injury is going to scare a lot of people away. Without the knee injury, I would say he would have a good shot at 4.0 flat. Now? I have no idea, haven't seen him run post injury.

He was THAT fast really? I would give him a shot with a late 4th or 5th then. Probably 5th. But it'd be a good gamble IMO. Donatell and Fangio coaching him up=WIN.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

He was THAT fast really? I would give him a shot with a late 4th or 5th then. Probably 5th. But it'd be a good gamble IMO. Donatell and Fangio coaching him up=WIN.

Think he's using a bit of hyperbole. Bolden, if you even just watch some of the highlights, is fast but more 4.3 fast. I give him a late 5th round grade because of the injuries, but upside. His combine I don't know how much it can help him, even if he's healthy, but I can tell you it can hurt him a whole lot more if he doesn't look good.
Share 49ersWebzone